T Nation

Mongol Kicks Ass!

http://www.mongolmovie.com/

I saw this recently at an indie theater. It BLEW ME AWAY. Lots of action, fighting, blood & guts, great story (it’s about the early life of Genghis Khan, one of the most fascinating historical figures of all time imo) and the acting was stellar!

Yes it is in subtitles, so those of you who don’t like to read while being entertained may want to stay away. Subtitles HAS to be the reason it’s not a big hit in all the theaters now; it really is MUCH better than most of the stuff that hits the big screen here anyway.

I personally liked that they used subtitles in this movie because the actors were true to the ethnic (and as far as I know) linguistic character of the film.

It’s GREAT. And it definitely raises the t-levels by the end of the movie. I know most T-nationers would dig it- assuming you can handle subtitles.

The only sucky thing is that I don’t think it’s playing much of anywhere anymore. But for those who have netflix, remember to put it in your queue, you won’t regret it!

And if you do, fuck it, bring on the verbal rotten tomatoes! :smiley:

Damn, it’s not playing in any theater in Toronto

That looks AMAZERING

God damn mongolians!

We saw it a while ago, it does make you want to go out and conquer the world. I was actually pretty surprised at the amount of carnage they showed.

I thought it was okay. The scenery was beautiful, and the acting was good. But the plot was repetitive and the big battle at the end was pathetic.

Also, it really pissed me off when the epilogue told how Gengis Khan came back and obliterated the city that humiliated him. THAT’S WHAT I CAME TO SEE. GENGIS MOTHERFUCKING KHAN DESTROYING CITIES. You don’t skip over the best part of the story. Overall I would rate it as weak.

what if I can’t read? could I follow along?

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Also, it really pissed me off when the epilogue told how Gengis Khan came back and obliterated the city that humiliated him. THAT’S WHAT I CAME TO SEE. GENGIS MOTHERFUCKING KHAN DESTROYING CITIES. You don’t skip over the best part of the story. [/quote]

I didn’t think it was weak, but I do agree with this.

KHAN!!!

[quote]nephorm wrote:
.[/quote]

Oh that’s what you were refering to. If you had said Mongorians I would have know what you were talking about.

[quote]pch2 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Also, it really pissed me off when the epilogue told how Gengis Khan came back and obliterated the city that humiliated him. THAT’S WHAT I CAME TO SEE. GENGIS MOTHERFUCKING KHAN DESTROYING CITIES. You don’t skip over the best part of the story.

I didn’t think it was weak, but I do agree with this. [/quote]

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the story was not the life and times of Genghis Khan. The story was the early part of his life, the part most cinematically and literarily skipped over in the past, the part leading up to all the big battles of his life.

For a film meant to be more of an insight into the psyche and environment that fostered the legend of a man, I thought the battles were good. The violence overall and the individual fight scenes were pretty amazing. They left off before all the really crazy shit happened.

Heck, they only had time to even focus on the first of his wives- I think he had 6 overall and countless concubines over the years.

If you go into it with the expectation that they should’ve made a movie about the entirety of his life, I can see where you’d feel like there’s an awful lot left to be desired. I personally would love it if they made a sequel chronicling the next stage(s) of his life.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
God damn mongolians![/quote]

You’re probably related to him. The guy knew how to sow his seed. I’m just sayin…

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
You’re probably related to him. The guy knew how to sow his seed. I’m just sayin…[/quote]

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
nephorm wrote:
God damn mongolians!

You’re probably related to him. The guy knew how to sow his seed. I’m just sayin…[/quote]

Too true! I love this article, fascinating stuff. (And yes I read Nat Geo religiously solely so I can pull stuff like this out of my ass on occasions like this.)

Looks like I got beat to the punch! Awesome. :smiley:

[quote]theAnj wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the story was not the life and times of Genghis Khan. The story was the early part of his life, the part most cinematically and literarily skipped over in the past, the part leading up to all the big battles of his life. [/quote]

But from a story telling point of view, the early part of his life was monotonous and repetitive. The city that humiliated him also played a big part in his early life, made him a destroyer of cities, so skipping over that is bizarre.

Also, the climatic battle just sucked. He had twelve guys ride out and hold a sword out to the side and half of the opposing army was too retarded to get out of the way? WTF?

nephorm wrote:

Oh that’s what you were refering to. If you had said Mongorians I would have know what you were talking about.[/quote]

That episode always makes me laugh.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9DPSu0tYk

But from a story telling point of view, the early part of his life was monotonous and repetitive. The city that humiliated him also played a big part in his early life, made him a destroyer of cities, so skipping over that is bizarre.

Also, the climatic battle just sucked. He had twelve guys ride out and hold a sword out to the side and half of the opposing army was too retarded to get out of the way? WTF? [/quote]

I disagree with his early years being monotonous and repetitive.

However, I do agree that the climactic battle was at least partially lame. That scene with the 12 guys on horseback with their swords out like wings… that seemed like a gratuitous movie trailer shot and came off as cheesy.

Eh shrugs, no movie is perfect. Except Boondock Saints. :wink:

On a loosely-related note, one of my favorite documentaries is called Genghis Blues, and is about an American blues singer who travels to the Asian steppe area to live with the nomadic yurt-dwelling natives and learn their native art of Tuvan throat singing

(featured in the the movie Mongol- that spiritual weird deep throaty hum that sounds kinda instrumental in the movie). I haven’t seen it in years but now I want to again. It was excellent.