Money. Taboo?

[quote]LSUPOWERDC wrote:
As my father once said…none of your goddamn business!![/quote]

My dad said the same thing once.

[quote]Big Aristotle wrote:
your parents ought to have taught you that money, politics, and religion are off-limits. everyone knows that[/quote]

My dad told me that once too. Nobody an ever agree on it so its best to leave alone

your parents ought to have taught you that money, politics, and religion are off-limits. everyone knows that[/quote]

So the predilection for sex-talk isn’t because its such a great thing to share in, but because it is the ONLY thing to talk about without offending someone?

[quote]Aitrus wrote:
Big Aristotle wrote:
your parents ought to have taught you that money, politics, and religion are off-limits. everyone knows that

So the predilection for sex-talk isn’t because its such a great thing to share in, but because it is the ONLY thing to talk about without offending someone?[/quote]

Sex talk can easily offend someone too. Have you ever known someone who has an ugly girlfriend?

Sex talk with that person is offensive to both parties. Its offensive to you because the mental image of your buddy banging a fat chick is gross and unsettling and makes you want to vomit on your lap. Its offensive to him when he realizes that you think his special lady is a disgusting pig face.

The point of my post is that a grown person should know better than to ask strangers (even on the internet) how much money they make.

BTW there are endless topics talk about outside of money, politics, religion and sex.

[quote]Christine wrote:
one hundred trillion, billion dollars

per year[/quote]

x2

I find it silly, myself. People, as you can see, get really offended by it. It makes me want to hit them in the face with a silly white glove. Not hard, but lightly, while holding a floating balloon animal and wearing a top hat and nothing else, just to highlight the ridiculousness of the situation. No one can really say why they won’t share, because they don’t really know themselves. They just know they found it rude for absolutely no reason other than Dad got pissed about it, too. Hell, my own mother won’t tell me what she makes.

I make nothing right now. I’m unemployed.

So wait, no one talks about religion or politics at T-Nation, not even in the PWI forum?

Granted, you might get flamed on a forum if you go around pronouncing your views on religion and politics, but no one will even bother responding directly if you ask them how much they make.

Anyway, the only proper response to “How much do you make?” is “not enough.” That’s my answer, and I’m sticking to it.

$10,000-$20,000 per year. Plus however much my loans/financial aid pays out. :slight_smile:

[quote]tootles27 wrote:
Some poor fuck making 30,000 per/year can be better off than you if they don’t have any rent or cc payments.[/quote]

Ooh, ooh, that would be me. And I don’t appreciate being called a poor fuck. Debt-free is that way to be.

-240$ per year

I’m paid primarily in magic beans for my labour

750 - 800 euros, depending on the amount of social security I am granted each month.

I am happily unemployed and not about to change that anytime soon.

[quote]GVkid wrote:
x2[/quote]

Grand Valley State? Got my BA in Economics from Seidman.

Very nice. - working for a B.S. in CJ

[quote]R@NE wrote:
750 - 800 euros, depending on the amount of social security I am granted each month.

I am happily unemployed and not about to change that anytime soon.[/quote]

Why would anyone openly admit this?

It is hilarious that the people crying because this topic isn’t accepted openly are either reluctant to share their own income…or they are unemployed.

[quote]Kinoz wrote:
Why ask? If someone makes less than you, they’ll feel slightly inferior. If they make more, they’ll probably be met with resentment.

As a student, the only thing I’m amassing is a wealth of debts.[/quote]

Ha! Yes.

Money holds the ultimate jealousy factor. In fact, I would say jealous people alienate rich people more so than the other way around, and then call rich people snobby and exclusive. Anyways,

Maybe quality of life would be better to describe?

I have a decent condo roughly 1000sq feet. Wood floors in the living area, slate in the kitchen/modern appliances/opens to living area and burberry carpet in the bedroom. Built in bookshelves blah blah blah. The bathroom looks like a nice hotel bathroom, but cheap for a home. I may renovate it.

It is about ten minutes from downtown Houston. I used to have a gf for a few months and she helped me pick out decorations and wall colors. It looks pretty good. Sage green for the walls and earth tone furniture. Random meaningless paintings that fit the color scheme on the wall. A fake plant in the corner by the balcony door.

I actually bought it as a repo. It cost half of what it should. Which is fucking awesome. When I sell one day I won’t even have to really do shit to turn at least 50% profit. And if the area’s development continues I may just go in to real estate speculation when I sell.

I drive a new F-150, 2008. Fx4 package, 4 door. I need it for work. They require 4 doors to entertain and I hate cars plus SUV’s today look like minivans to me.

I get a car allowance. From work. But it’s my truck. I bought it in February of 2008 though, before economic shit really hit the fan. I did negotiate a pretty good deal but could have stolen the bank with it had I known and waited a few months to buy.

I put a set amount in to my 401 through work and my private IRA, plus I buy some stock individually online each month. I’m probably going to cut back on weekend fun shit and put more in to the market, maybe some mutual funds, while it is so cheap.

I’m not living high on the hog yet as losing my job would be a hell of a fiasco. I could make it about 5 months if I lived like a hermit and quit investing. THen I would have to start to selling off stock, maybe the condo etc… bad news. In a few years that security level should change though.

My goal, though aggressive, is to be an independent millionaire (2mil) by the time I’m 32. Counting equity and assets. We will see what life throws my way.

I don’t plan to have a family so my overhead will stay low. I am degreed, have a strong network and am fucking awesome at what I do. (entertain people and convince them to spend money through me and my company) so if I stick to my own plan and don’t encounter a car wreck or something, I should be fine.

Then, the investment hat will go on and I’ll build as much wealth as I can in to my middle age and hope it doesn’t go up in smoke like the old people’s investments of today.

It’s interesting that people cry foul about talking about money on an anonymous forum but are willing (eager, usually) to share their sex lives. Says something about our culture.

I make money in my basement.

I’ll bite, as I don’t see what the big deal is. I’ll never meet any of you, let alone work with you.

I’ve made anywhere from 40k-50k per year (less when I first started college, maybe 25k), given my skill set and experience level but not with a degree - yet. I have had virtually no debt during those times.

I am not a spendthrift but I do wish I had better planned emergency savings. I’ve got a budget sheet now that has a simple plan laid out, along with my monthly expenses and income.

Unemployed right now, though, but looking for work.

And tootles is right about debt to income. Throw in cost of living and someone’s salary won’t be enough to wipe your own ass with in another part of the country/world.

There’s no point in discussing income because it’s something that nearly everyone lies about.

Just like every guy on the internet has at least an 8 inch cock. Or, if you’re ever asked your IQ, the person asking you is always 5-10 points higher. Strange how that works…