Monday with Waterbury

Let’s get the questions a churnin’!

Hey Chad,
when they talk about accumluation blocks and stuff like that, what are they talking about? Is it like progressively over time you perform more volume or intensity then back off and your body would over compensate?
Thanks

Chad,

Just wanted to let you know; I’ve made tremendous progress with all of your programs that I’ve tried: TTT, TBT, ABBH I & II, WMethod. Plus, the routines are fun, too. Thanks for the great articles.

Hey Chad,
Have a question for ya. ( I also put this on over at cw/pt…sorry 'bout that)
I was making some tremendous progress using the SOB program, but ended up injuring my shoulder.

I think that it is probably a bicep impingement rather than rotator cuff, although I am not sure (I can almost closse-grip bench, but the wider my hands are on the bar the more pain occurs. I have not lifted any upper body for 5 weeks, I am currently taking an anti-inflammatory, and using JS bands for some light tractioning.

Any suggestions on how to hasten the recovery?
Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Worker

Oh, one last thing…getting ready to order an xvest. Do you use the 40 lb model or the 84 lb model?

thank you for taking the time and chat with us…my question is the following:
how often do you suggest taking an off week? and what kind of excercises should one do if any when in an off week? thanx…

chad thoughts on 2 different reverse waves in the same workout for the same body part.

Example-decline barbell 5 sets 1/2/2/3/4

Incline db’s 4 sets
5/4/3/2/2

Killing the CNS?

[quote]jreed212 wrote:
Hey Chad,
when they talk about accumluation blocks and stuff like that, what are they talking about? Is it like progressively over time you perform more volume or intensity then back off and your body would over compensate?
Thanks[/quote]

An accumulation description is another way of labeling a high-volume phase of training with speeds of execution that aren’t overly taxing to the trainee. In typical linear periodization schemes, this usually represents the first phase of a macrocycle. From that point, intensification phases follow. This phase consists of higher-intensity parameters that are specific to the intended goal (sport).

[quote]PCH wrote:
Chad,

Just wanted to let you know; I’ve made tremendous progress with all of your programs that I’ve tried: TTT, TBT, ABBH I & II, WMethod. Plus, the routines are fun, too. Thanks for the great articles.[/quote]

My pleasure!

also interested but luchador question

[quote]worker wrote:
Hey Chad,
Have a question for ya. ( I also put this on over at cw/pt…sorry 'bout that)
I was making some tremendous progress using the SOB program, but ended up injuring my shoulder.

I think that it is probably a bicep impingement rather than rotator cuff, although I am not sure (I can almost closse-grip bench, but the wider my hands are on the bar the more pain occurs. I have not lifted any upper body for 5 weeks, I am currently taking an anti-inflammatory, and using JS bands for some light tractioning.

Any suggestions on how to hasten the recovery?
Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Worker

Oh, one last thing…getting ready to order an xvest. Do you use the 40 lb model or the 84 lb model?[/quote]

Use all possible recovery techniques such as ice massage, deep tissue work, and stretching. Avoid any movement pattern that causes pain.

I typically use the 40 lb model for myself since I weigh 240 lbs. But, the 84 lb model is also a great investment. If you had to choose one, I’d choose the 84 lb version since it allows for greater loading selections.

[quote]luchador wrote:
thank you for taking the time and chat with us…my question is the following:
how often do you suggest taking an off week? and what kind of excercises should one do if any when in an off week? thanx…[/quote]

Generally speaking, novice trainees could benefit from unloading every 4-6 weeks. Advanced trainees usually do well to unload every 3 weeks (sometimes every 2 weeks during intense training).

GPP work such as outlined in my GPP ASAP article works well for recovery weeks. Although, some trainees merely drop volume and/or intensity to 60% of the original value.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
chad thoughts on 2 different reverse waves in the same workout for the same body part.

Incline db’s 4 sets
5/4/3/2/2

Killing the CNS?[/quote]

I’d recommend the second variation for both exercises.

Is it overly taxing? That question depends on many variables, but if your performance is increasing with each workout, I’d recommend staying with the variation for 2-3 weeks. But no longer than that.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
bigpump23 wrote:

Incline db’s 4 sets
5/4/3/2/2

Killing the CNS?

Is it overly taxing? That question depends on many variables, but if your performance is increasing with each workout, I’d recommend staying with the variation for 2-3 weeks. But no longer than that. [/quote]

I’m trying for strength/hypertrohpy, in that order so you wouldn’t recommend the first one? any particular reason why?

I’m in my final week of the Waterbury Method; I’m looking good, shirts getting tight in the shoulders especially. Looking forward to a week off next week (eye twitching is the first sign I can use a break); then trying to decide which program to do next. After my week off, should I blast out another 3 weeks on The Waterbury Method? Like I said before, for whatever reason (probably the ones outlined in your articles LOL) I’m thriving off of 10*3!

I’m a big fan of your articles and programs - was curious to what program you are currently following. Does 103 still produce decent results for you or can you stand 153? It’s always fun to hear what an advanced lifter is up to, gives something to eventually shoot for.

JamminJS

Could you provide an example of how someone would organize their periodization over the course of a year. I know you dislike linear periodization, but I understand that conjugate training can still be used for either accumulation or intensification. Would someone equally interested in both size and strength simply alternate accumulation and intensification months, or is it more complicated than that? Would alternating be too much like linear periodization?

Thanks for the help.

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:
bigpump23 wrote:

Incline db’s 4 sets
5/4/3/2/2

Killing the CNS?

Is it overly taxing? That question depends on many variables, but if your performance is increasing with each workout, I’d recommend staying with the variation for 2-3 weeks. But no longer than that.

I’m trying for strength/hypertrohpy, in that order so you wouldn’t recommend the first one? any particular reason why?
[/quote]

I prefer my clients to end each session with the largest load possible (generally speaking). Second, it’s very difficult to initiate a cycle with a 1RM. The second example effectively revs up the CNS to perform with larger loads at the end of the cycle.

[quote]JamminJS wrote:
I’m in my final week of the Waterbury Method; I’m looking good, shirts getting tight in the shoulders especially. Looking forward to a week off next week (eye twitching is the first sign I can use a break); then trying to decide which program to do next. After my week off, should I blast out another 3 weeks on The Waterbury Method? Like I said before, for whatever reason (probably the ones outlined in your articles LOL) I’m thriving off of 10*3!

I’m a big fan of your articles and programs - was curious to what program you are currently following. Does 103 still produce decent results for you or can you stand 153? It’s always fun to hear what an advanced lifter is up to, gives something to eventually shoot for.

JamminJS[/quote]

If you’re motivated to continue the WM after your break, then do it! But I suggest that you change the recommend exercises to similar variations. Also, you could replace squats with deadlifts.

The 10x3 will, and has, stood the test of time. At the peak of my cycles, I’ll work up to 12x3, but I don’t usually go any higher than that.

[quote]leon79 wrote:
Could you provide an example of how someone would organize their periodization over the course of a year. I know you dislike linear periodization, but I understand that conjugate training can still be used for either accumulation or intensification. Would someone equally interested in both size and strength simply alternate accumulation and intensification months, or is it more complicated than that? Would alternating be too much like linear periodization?

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

yes I’m interested to see how you would set this up if the person was training for 1 event

[quote]leon79 wrote:

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Here’s the simplest answer I can give you. During the course of each microcycle (week), train each body part twice. Use different exercises for each workout and focus your first workout on increasing volume while the second workout would consist of increasing loads.

For example:

Workout 1 (Weeks 1-4)
3x8, 4x8, 5x8, 3x8 (unload)

Workout 2 (Weeks 1-4)
80, 82.5, 85, 80% of 1RM (unload)

Obviously, this is an example of just one macrocycle, but a similar periodization model can be used throughout the year.

CW, given a trainee without any muscular imbalances, what should be the general ratio of push to pull exercises in a program?

Rightly or wrongly, I have been doing the pull movements just a bit more. I tend to do this by balancing push/pull in the vertical and horizontal planes, and then get my extra pull volume from deads.

Thanks