T Nation

Monday Waterbury

Hey All,

Any questions floating around out there?

Hey Chad,

I have been doing 10x3s for my lifts for three week cycles; it has really improved my strength! Anyway just had a question.

Danny John wrote an article on 5x5s a couple weeks back which suggested a wave method where intensity was reduced for each progressive set.

I have heard that such training is being utilized by olympic lifters and that it is kind of ahead of research. Do you have any opinions on this type of training, where you reduce intensity over the course of your sets?

Hey C-Dubya

I posted this elsewhere on the forum, I’d like to get your opinion also:

[i]
Ok, due to me working full time now over the summer I’m going to have to lift in the morning so that I can train MMA at night. (Job isn’t that stressful, loan consultant, so its mostly paperwork and other marketing stuff)

I am trying to gain some substantial muscle and I know that it’s hard to avoid catabolizing training in the morning.

I"m going to list my diet and hopefully you guys can help me out here and point out anything else I need to know about training at fucking 5am.

Breakfast: (5am)
Quart of Milk
Oat Meal

Workout: (Lift Weights 30-45min)
-Mid workout shake (66g)
-Post workout shake(during drive) (66g)

Snack:
Peanut Butter and green tea during hour and half drive to work.

Lunch:
Tuna Sandwhich and P&J sandwhich
Protien Shake (66gm)
Water 1/2 liter

Snack: (drive home about 2hrs)
Sandwhiches
Water
Assorted Nuts
Peanut Butter
Boiled Eggs

Dinner:
Chicken/Beef
Rice/Potatoes
Quart of Milk

Workout: (MMA training 2hrs)
-Post workout shake (66gm)
-Gallon of H20 During Workout

Bedtime: (9-10pm)
-Left overs
-Quart of Milk

I’m really not THAT strict with my food log. But I know for a fact that it’s upwards past 400gm of protien a day (2.5 gm per lb of bw) and that there is a surplus of calories, around 5000.

Large # of calories because I’m definitely burning a lot training 2x a day. (and my road rage burns calories too hehe)

Help is appreciated, any tips for what I should do in regards to training that early?

I’m currently:

19 y.o.
5’9
172#
Could be classified as “easy hard gainer”
[/i]

This is not the best question but here we go.

I’ve been using your lift fast get big program and I have some questions about loads. I can complete all the sets and reps with good form, but I feel extremely beat up till the end of the work out.

I know some of your other articles you suggest you should feel like doing another half a work out. Most days, work out 2 and 3 I don’t feel like completing all the exercises.

Does this sound like I am using too much weight? Maybe not recovering enough between workouts?

I have also had a fair amount of shoulder pain lately. I think that might be contributing to my burnt out feeling. I have been using Eric’s program and that is helping.

Any assistance would be great.

Is there any chance of getting a seminar in south east PA?

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
Hey Chad,

I have been doing 10x3s for my lifts for three week cycles; it has really improved my strength! Anyway just had a question.

Danny John wrote an article on 5x5s a couple weeks back which suggested a wave method where intensity was reduced for each progressive set.

I have heard that such training is being utilized by olympic lifters and that it is kind of ahead of research. Do you have any opinions on this type of training, where you reduce intensity over the course of your sets?[/quote]

The technique definitely has validity given the fact that such a method allows for frequent sessions throughout the week. That is an important goal to seek.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Hey C-Dubya

I posted this elsewhere on the forum, I’d like to get your opinion also:

[i]
Ok, due to me working full time now over the summer I’m going to have to lift in the morning so that I can train MMA at night. (Job isn’t that stressful, loan consultant, so its mostly paperwork and other marketing stuff)

I am trying to gain some substantial muscle and I know that it’s hard to avoid catabolizing training in the morning.

I"m going to list my diet and hopefully you guys can help me out here and point out anything else I need to know about training at fucking 5am.

Breakfast: (5am)
Quart of Milk
Oat Meal

Workout: (Lift Weights 30-45min)
-Mid workout shake (66g)
-Post workout shake(during drive) (66g)

Snack:
Peanut Butter and green tea during hour and half drive to work.

Lunch:
Tuna Sandwhich and P&J sandwhich
Protien Shake (66gm)
Water 1/2 liter

Snack: (drive home about 2hrs)
Sandwhiches
Water
Assorted Nuts
Peanut Butter
Boiled Eggs

Dinner:
Chicken/Beef
Rice/Potatoes
Quart of Milk

Workout: (MMA training 2hrs)
-Post workout shake (66gm)
-Gallon of H20 During Workout

Bedtime: (9-10pm)
-Left overs
-Quart of Milk

I’m really not THAT strict with my food log. But I know for a fact that it’s upwards past 400gm of protien a day (2.5 gm per lb of bw) and that there is a surplus of calories, around 5000.

Large # of calories because I’m definitely burning a lot training 2x a day. (and my road rage burns calories too hehe)

Help is appreciated, any tips for what I should do in regards to training that early?

I’m currently:

19 y.o.
5’9
172#
Could be classified as “easy hard gainer”
[/i][/quote]

Since you’re young, light, and training hard, I think your diet is sufficient. I suggest you use some Spike before your AM workout. In addition, try to find a place in the afternoon to take Power Drive mixed in carbonated water (you must do this on an empty stomach). Other than that, hit it!

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
This is not the best question but here we go.

I’ve been using your lift fast get big program and I have some questions about loads. I can complete all the sets and reps with good form, but I feel extremely beat up till the end of the work out.

I know some of your other articles you suggest you should feel like doing another half a work out. Most days, work out 2 and 3 I don’t feel like completing all the exercises.

Does this sound like I am using too much weight? Maybe not recovering enough between workouts?

I have also had a fair amount of shoulder pain lately. I think that might be contributing to my burnt out feeling. I have been using Eric’s program and that is helping.

Any assistance would be great.

Is there any chance of getting a seminar in south east PA?[/quote]

Yes, you have classic burn-out symptoms. Take 4-5 days off from any training. Eat sufficient protein and calories during those days and take 7-9 grams of fish oil capsules to help with CNS and joint recovery. Stretch every day. At that point, go back to the program (pick up where you left off) and decrease the loads slightly.

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
This is not the best question but here we go.

I’ve been using your lift fast get big program and I have some questions about loads. I can complete all the sets and reps with good form, but I feel extremely beat up till the end of the work out.

I know some of your other articles you suggest you should feel like doing another half a work out. Most days, work out 2 and 3 I don’t feel like completing all the exercises.

Does this sound like I am using too much weight? Maybe not recovering enough between workouts?

I have also had a fair amount of shoulder pain lately. I think that might be contributing to my burnt out feeling. I have been using Eric’s program and that is helping.

Any assistance would be great.

Is there any chance of getting a seminar in south east PA?[/quote]

South east PA? Man, why don’t I just come to your house!? Kidding. Sorry, no plans for a SE PA visit at this point.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
Todd S. wrote:
This is not the best question but here we go.

I’ve been using your lift fast get big program and I have some questions about loads. I can complete all the sets and reps with good form, but I feel extremely beat up till the end of the work out.

I know some of your other articles you suggest you should feel like doing another half a work out. Most days, work out 2 and 3 I don’t feel like completing all the exercises.

Does this sound like I am using too much weight? Maybe not recovering enough between workouts?

I have also had a fair amount of shoulder pain lately. I think that might be contributing to my burnt out feeling. I have been using Eric’s program and that is helping.

Any assistance would be great.

Is there any chance of getting a seminar in south east PA?

Yes, you have classic burn-out symptoms. Take 4-5 days off from any training. Eat sufficient protein and calories during those days and take 7-9 grams of fish oil capsules to help with CNS and joint recovery. Stretch every day. At that point, go back to the program (pick up where you left off) and decrease the loads slightly. [/quote]

Any other tips for dealing with CNS related burnout because I think mine is absolutley fucking fried

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
South east PA? Man, why don’t I just come to your house!? Kidding. Sorry, no plans for a SE PA visit at this point.
[/quote]

Hey that would work also. I didn’t know if you ever got up in this direction or not. I think you live in Texas and do most of your programs there?

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:

Stretch every day. [/quote]

I feel stupid even asking this but here it goes. How do I stretch? What I mean is, should I do certain stretches, amount of time, and so on?

We did stretching in school but it was pretty sorry.

I looked around at some of the articles here but it seems everyone has a different opinion on what you should do. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time,

Todd

[quote]jakewnet44 wrote:
Any other tips for dealing with CNS related burnout because I think mine is absolutley fucking fried
[/quote]

Yes, consume one serving of Power Drive mixed in carbonated water each day. Be sure to take it on an empty stomach. It works well to recharge your CNS during lay-offs, and all other times for that matter.

This is in regards to your Bottom-Feeder Squats from the Branding Iron you did a while back.

I have a somewhat underdeveloped vastus medialis on each leg. To correct this, I’ve used physical therapy and Charles Poliquin’s Quick Knee Fix for jumper’s knee. One of the protocols of the latter is Peterson Step-Ups.

Now, these have been working great. But, due to leg-length differences, an imbalanced hip and a sacrum pointing in some odd direction, the Step-Ups are no longer an option - causes far too much irritation of my sciatic, which in turn cramps my legs all to hell.

Also, I have a few upper-back issues which keep me from having a bar across my traps. So, all this leads me to my question: would it be advisable to use dumbbells for resistance during this lift, or should I instead go for a Hack Squat?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey CW,

Couple questions…

  1. How are the best ways to tell if the CNS is fatigued in relation to the muscle?

  2. Post-exercise recovery with Power Drive is supposed to revamp the CNS. Under what mechanisms does this happen?

  3. Have you used the concept of irradiation much in your work or training? (I’m speaking beyond what little I know from Pavel’s “grip hard, squeeze the abs and glutes…”

Thanks, it’s great to hear thoughts from a person with as much “in the trenches” neuro experience as you.

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:
South east PA? Man, why don’t I just come to your house!? Kidding. Sorry, no plans for a SE PA visit at this point.

Hey that would work also. I didn’t know if you ever got up in this direction or not. I think you live in Texas and do most of your programs there?

[/quote]

I live in AZ (which is even further away from PA)!

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
Chad Waterbury wrote:

Stretch every day.

I feel stupid even asking this but here it goes. How do I stretch? What I mean is, should I do certain stretches, amount of time, and so on?

We did stretching in school but it was pretty sorry.

I looked around at some of the articles here but it seems everyone has a different opinion on what you should do. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time,

Todd[/quote]

Yes, stretching can be a complex issue, but it doesn’t need to be. For starters, I suggest you perform 12-15 of medium intensity cardio to raise your core body temp. Then, perform Ian King’s Lazy Man’s Guide to Stretching program in the archives. It’s a sufficient start for someone who doesn’t stretch.

[quote]Vash wrote:
This is in regards to your Bottom-Feeder Squats from the Branding Iron you did a while back.

I have a somewhat underdeveloped vastus medialis on each leg. To correct this, I’ve used physical therapy and Charles Poliquin’s Quick Knee Fix for jumper’s knee. One of the protocols of the latter is Peterson Step-Ups.

Now, these have been working great. But, due to leg-length differences, an imbalanced hip and a sacrum pointing in some odd direction, the Step-Ups are no longer an option - causes far too much irritation of my sciatic, which in turn cramps my legs all to hell.

Also, I have a few upper-back issues which keep me from having a bar across my traps. So, all this leads me to my question: would it be advisable to use dumbbells for resistance during this lift, or should I instead go for a Hack Squat?

Any advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

Choose the BB Hack Squat option. Elevate your heels on a 25 lb plate (one under each heel) to further activate the vastus medialis. This exercise is awesome.

[quote]the MaxX wrote:
Hey CW,

Couple questions…

  1. How are the best ways to tell if the CNS is fatigued in relation to the muscle?

  2. Post-exercise recovery with Power Drive is supposed to revamp the CNS. Under what mechanisms does this happen?

  3. Have you used the concept of irradiation much in your work or training? (I’m speaking beyond what little I know from Pavel’s “grip hard, squeeze the abs and glutes…”

Thanks, it’s great to hear thoughts from a person with as much “in the trenches” neuro experience as you. [/quote]

  1. Person is overly tired. Person lacks motivation (this pertains to those who were motivated to begin with). Loss of concentration skills (this is more vague, but generally true).

  2. It restores neurotransmitters to optimal levels.

  3. Yes, if you suck in air, hold your breath, and squeeze your glutes/abs, your strength will improve with most lifts.

I’m not sure if you have an opinion on this but I figured I’d try anyways. What is the youngest you recommend an athlete start lifting? My 11 year old nephew is an exceptionally phenomenal athlete (12.95 100 and 26.8 200 both elecronically timed, 17’ 2" LJ, and a 59.6 400 hand timed. Also on the U-12 Regional ODP team for soccer). On his own he has started doing push ups, sit ups and bought a pull up bar with his own money. I have no problem letting him do these things as they are harmless enough and will help later in life, but when can he start using heavier weights and doing things like squats/DL/Olympic lifts? I have a feeling (based on his parents) that he’s not going to be particularly tall to begin with, so we certainly don’t want to stunt his growth (he’s shorter than average already). Thanks for the help.

CW,
I’m doing your BBB program. Does it follow the same pattern as ABBH, ex/ increase volume for 8x3 and increase load for 3x8?