Monday PT with DJ

Dan,

I have been working thorugh OLAD and modified to fit my Power Bodybuilding approach with what I call OLAW or One Lift a Workout. I am doing Deadlifts, Bench Press, Row, Squat, Military Press, Chins, Calve Exercise and Arm Exercise (either Dips or Power Curls. I generally do 1-2 workouts a day for 30 minutes or less based on daily requirements (job/GF), resting 1 or 2 days a week. The 8 workout cycle takes anywhere from 5-7 days.

I know you are big proponent of figuring out things for yourselve. I have been doing this a few weeks now and feel much “tigher” and “harder”. I am also able to go harder in the 20 minutes or so lifting after warm up.

Just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks

I posted this so far on CW’s and CS’s thread, and was wondering if you would give your input as well. Thanks!

orginal post:
Hey M.r Staley, I posted this Q for Chad, but also would love your input on it at well. Thanks

“Chad! I am currently hung up on the topic of periodzation. Would you mind giving me (and all the rest of T-Nationers) your input on the different types of periodization? How many types are there out there? Whats the difference between Non Linear Periodization, the Conjugate Periodization, and Undulated? These are just the ones I have heard of. What type of periodization do you incorporate with your training, and which ones do you find most effective?”

Thanks!

[quote]Danny John wrote:

On the O lifts, that is really all you need to prep for football, but it has to be too late by now for you to utilize them… [/quote]

Can you elaborate on that? Also, I am confused why it is too late to utilize the O lifts, as I am preparing for next season. (Tryouts are in 8 1/2 months and the season starts in 11 1/2 months.)

Thank you for your response!

Interesting variation. I have done multi sessions in a day and found that just doing one thing really does the job. I did about four months of easy front squats, wait a couple of hours, then do a classic O lift. Really, seemed to help me.

Of course, that is just an experiment of one…

[quote]cbichsel wrote:
Dan,

I have been working thorugh OLAD and modified to fit my Power Bodybuilding approach with what I call OLAW or One Lift a Workout. I am doing Deadlifts, Bench Press, Row, Squat, Military Press, Chins, Calve Exercise and Arm Exercise (either Dips or Power Curls. I generally do 1-2 workouts a day for 30 minutes or less based on daily requirements (job/GF), resting 1 or 2 days a week. The 8 workout cycle takes anywhere from 5-7 days.

I know you are big proponent of figuring out things for yourselve. I have been doing this a few weeks now and feel much “tigher” and “harder”. I am also able to go harder in the 20 minutes or so lifting after warm up.

Just wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks[/quote]

And now: Dan John on periodization.

I don’t think it works…really. I get it. I understand it…but, I have found that chaos, ‘accumulating’ volume and new experiences, good technical background and variation in training far superior to classic periodization.

So, I’m no help.

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
I posted this so far on CW’s and CS’s thread, and was wondering if you would give your input as well. Thanks!

orginal post:
Hey M.r Staley, I posted this Q for Chad, but also would love your input on it at well. Thanks

“Chad! I am currently hung up on the topic of periodzation. Would you mind giving me (and all the rest of T-Nationers) your input on the different types of periodization? How many types are there out there? Whats the difference between Non Linear Periodization, the Conjugate Periodization, and Undulated? These are just the ones I have heard of. What type of periodization do you incorporate with your training, and which ones do you find most effective?”

Thanks! [/quote]

Because I am stupid. I must have missed that whole eleven month thing. Dump everything and master the O lifts. You have tons of time.

[quote]Warrior Spirit wrote:
Danny John wrote:

On the O lifts, that is really all you need to prep for football, but it has to be too late by now for you to utilize them…

Can you elaborate on that? Also, I am confused why it is too late to utilize the O lifts, as I am preparing for next season. (Tryouts are in 8 1/2 months and the season starts in 11 1/2 months.)

Thank you for your response!

[/quote]

Haha Thanks anyway DJ!

You know, I’m not an idiot…well, let’s pretend anyway. My knock against periodization…in the classic form…is that somehow I would “peak” at the end of this long build up. In the real world, it doesn’t seem to happen. Now, my favorite approach is a book called “Consistent Winning.” It is an idea that basically, you put yourself in a position to do well in comps.

NOw, I believe that! The problem comes when…for some reason, people imagine that six weeks of this, four weeks of this adds up to this other thing.

I find people peak freaky. Out of nowhere, boom. Peak. You then MUST study that peak and pull out what worked.

I really try to pull out those gems. For those people who know me, I spend a lot of time rereading my journals and asking my wife and friends and family what happened.

Usually?

1. I came in a little undertrained.
  2. I made it social.
  3. Technically, I had a single focus.
  4. I needed something to make me leap mentally…usually, a challenge.

That’s me.

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
Haha Thanks anyway DJ![/quote]

Coach,

Just a short note to tell you that i hate you. This is my first week on your corporal punishment program [also known as OLAD] and after the romanian deads [get up vol 2 nos 1,2] i’m currently walking like a constipated penguin .

Where do you get off on writing programs that actually work? and encouraging people to experiment and think for themselves. This is the 21st century I WANT SPOONFED!

[kidding-except for the penguin part that’s totally true and i did the rdl’s 3 days ago]

Here is my program

THUR powercleans
FRI farmers walks
SAT high pulls
SUN romanian d lifts
MON power bicep curl [using hips like in push press]
TUE overhead squats
WED off

look ok?

Coach,

Just a short note to tell you that i hate you. This is my first week on your corporal punishment program [also known as olad] and after the romanian deads [get up vol 2 nos 1,2] i’m currently walking like a constipated penguin .

Where do you get off on writing programs that actually work? and encouraging people to experiment and think for themselves. This is the 21st century I WANT SPOONFED!

[kidding-except for the penguin part that’s totally true and i did the rdl’s 3 days ago]

Here is my program

THUR powercleans
FRI farmers walks
SAT high pulls
SUN romanian d lifts
TUE overhead squats
WED off

look ok?

I like what you are doing here. This is the kind of “experiment of one” that I always tell people to try.

Bicep curls…and I’m serious…are a great addition to the program, if you do them like once every ten days or so. [quote]RDC wrote:
Coach,

Just a short note to tell you that i hate you. This is my first week on your corporal punishment program [also known as olad] and after the romanian deads [get up vol 2 nos 1,2] i’m currently walking like a constipated penguin .

Here is my program

THUR powercleans
FRI farmers walks
SAT high pulls
SUN romanian d lifts
TUE overhead squats
WED off

look ok?[/quote]

“I don’t think it works…really. I get it. I understand it…but, I have found that chaos, ‘accumulating’ volume and new experiences, good technical background and variation in training far superior to classic periodization.”

Dan, I am feeling the same way these days. I am also now leaning more towards feeling that overall, having a high “intensity of effort” is more important than having a higher volume of work. Now, volume’s not unimportant, but you need to work hard and smart first, before you work more.

Quality over quantity. I could have told you that 5 years ago, but lost it somewhere while devolving the WSB and Crossfit models.

Where am I at now? The basics. Hard work. Heavy weight. Showing up. Don’t eat those chips. Compete at something, even if you suck.

Dan,
You are already off of the net, that is too bad. If you are still checking this thread, there is no reply necessary. I wanted you to know I am issuing “From the Ground Up” to all of my Marines. I’m sneaking your barbell workout that you describe doing when you were in high school into our company PT sessions. We are working out with K-bells and currently running a dumbell snatch challenge for highest weight and most done in 10 minutes with a 75lb dumbell. Several of them have picked up the OLAD program. My Marines think I’m a mad man and that you are a genius. You are one good piece of gear.

From all of us at the Marine Corps Security Company, United States Naval Academy.

Dan,

When are you coming to Dallas and how long will you be here? I enjoy your writing and would enjoy thanking you in person. Thanks.

You have always been there for me and I appreciate it, Shaf. It’s funny how we go through and make all these elaborate training programs and ideas and It comes back to some pretty simple concepts.

Oh, and no chips…

[quote]SShafley wrote:
“I don’t think it works…really. I get it. I understand it…but, I have found that chaos, ‘accumulating’ volume and new experiences, good technical background and variation in training far superior to classic periodization.”

Dan, I am feeling the same way these days. I am also now leaning more towards feeling that overall, having a high “intensity of effort” is more important than having a higher volume of work. Now, volume’s not unimportant, but you need to work hard and smart first, before you work more.

Quality over quantity. I could have told you that 5 years ago, but lost it somewhere while devolving the WSB and Crossfit models.

Where am I at now? The basics. Hard work. Heavy weight. Showing up. Don’t eat those chips. Compete at something, even if you suck.

[/quote]

I would be honored to give a clinic to you good folks…no charge. If you are interested, email me at dj84123@yahoo.com

Semper Fi.

[quote]1802USNA wrote:
Dan,
You are already off of the net, that is too bad. If you are still checking this thread, there is no reply necessary. I wanted you to know I am issuing “From the Ground Up” to all of my Marines. I’m sneaking your barbell workout that you describe doing when you were in high school into our company PT sessions. We are working out with K-bells and currently running a dumbell snatch challenge for highest weight and most done in 10 minutes with a 75lb dumbell. Several of them have picked up the OLAD program. My Marines think I’m a mad man and that you are a genius. You are one good piece of gear.

From all of us at the Marine Corps Security Company, United States Naval Academy.[/quote]

I will be at the national Wt Pent championships at “Arlington?” …the University of Texas at Arlington…if that sounds right. I come in Friday and compete Saturday. You would be in fine company, if you wish to visit. Always room for one more!

[quote]Yorbabarbell wrote:
Dan,

When are you coming to Dallas and how long will you be here? I enjoy your writing and would enjoy thanking you in person. Thanks.[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I will be at the national Wt Pent championships at “Arlington?” …the University of Texas at Arlington…if that sounds right. I come in Friday and compete Saturday. You would be in fine company, if you wish to visit. Always room for one more!

Yorbabarbell wrote:
Dan,

When are you coming to Dallas and how long will you be here? I enjoy your writing and would enjoy thanking you in person. Thanks.

[/quote]

Dan

Thanks for the reply. I am leaving this friday to drive to austin to compete in the uspf deadlift nationals. Good luck at your meet-enjoy Texas.