Monday...Prime Time

I just do Farmers Walks. That’s it. Nothing else gives me the “bang for the buck.” My buddy, Lane Cannon, gave me a COC gripper after the wrist injury but it just didn’t seem to make me push myself like the personal fight of a farmers bar walk.

I like crossfit’s workouts of the day…or kettlebells…or, really, just about everything I do. I train with a lot of fun and that leads to a lot of variety and odd stuff…GPP is just a fancy term for being the kind of little kid that I was: you do a lot of things for fun and it gets called a “workout” by a guy with a diploma.

[quote]Robert Monti wrote:
Dan, my grip on my left hand is limiting factor for my deads due to a wrist injury. What are some of your favorite exercises for direct grip work?

I was also interested in what you like to do for GPP since you want to be in shape and still keep your power for throwing.[/quote]

Dan,

Currently, there’s an entire thread discussing “Old Man Strength” or as you put it in your overhead squat article “that scary dad strength.”

What’s your theory on this phenomenan? How is it possible that old school dads don’t lifts (mine did but he was very off and on with it), smoked and drank a lot but were VERY functionally strong?

DJ–footwork drills?
We discovered Saturday that I have no footspeed. We discovered this when I continued to try and throw the 56# across my body instead of being able to whip my left leg around.

Or just keep throwing and it’ll come?

Danke.

That’s fine. I know little about hypertrophy beyond getting a big gut…so, my experience is that I blew up with snatches and cleans, but I would only caution that I think these could get boring/dull/overdone easy…

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
DJ, whats your thoughts on high/hang pulls instead of power snatchs for trap hypertrohpy? The high and the hang pull are alot eaiser for me to get the form down but I really want to blow up my traps and it’s hard to get the power snatch down. I did db snatchs but they didn’t feel right[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I could bore you with the details…so I will. I had Clean and Jerked 264 in a meet (18 years and 198 pounds) and Dick went away to the Montreal Olympics. So, my dad and I went to the Sports Palace to work out. Well, after having been training five days a week for ten months, I only trained twice a week for a change and when I started Clean and jerking, I got right up to 270, 281, and 292. I looked at my dad and we were both a little amazed. So, I took 303 and Dan Cantore asked if I was doing deadlifts. So, I clean and jerked it. It ended up being a bit of a one day jump. I got 308 at the JO nationals soon after, then 319 and I never really looked back.

All your ideas are reasonable. I guess the best thing about Power Curls is that they don’t really hurt and have about a one minute learning mastery curve. There are times when simple is good, too.

skullcowboy wrote:
Hello DJ:

This weekend I’ve been playing around with the Big55, it works great for lifts like press and power curls…not so great with squat snatch and DL, by lower back got fried fast.

Lately, I’ve been playing with the power curl and this exercise is so fun that’s getting in my blood. In your site, you talked about throwers using these.

My question is…for a OLifter(potential thrower) guy what does this lift offer?

From what I’m feeling today…lots of soreness in biceps, lats, traps…the most complete upper body move I’ve done! Definitely a keeper.

Other question…this may kinda subjective. My home PRs in power snatch and power clean & jerk are 210 and 250 respectively. Obviously the c&j should be bigger. Any particular program to get both of these numbers up?

I’d like to sn at least 225 and c&j at least 300…I think it’s quite possible. Someday, I’d like to get all 300 prs like you. How did you get these numbers?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Dan,

In your opinion did this jump occur due to the added rest of training only 2 days per week as opposed to training 5 days per week or was that added strength a result of training 5 days per week?

Dan -
Just out of curiosity…

where in Ohio?

Tucker

Dan

When I do the O’lifts I always jump forward. I concentrate on extending my back and popping my hips but always land 6 to 12 inches forward. I try to stay on my heals. I’m perplexed. Any suggestions?

Hard to coach on the net, but one thing I would look for is simply NOT straightening out your legs. Go with “soft legs” for ten throws and see what it is all about…

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
DJ–footwork drills?
We discovered Saturday that I have no footspeed. We discovered this when I continued to try and throw the 56# across my body instead of being able to whip my left leg around.

Or just keep throwing and it’ll come?

Danke.[/quote]

If I remember, that is from “S” pulling. Stay on your heels…put a plate under your toes and push your butt back as hard as you can as long as you can…that might help.

[quote]mdragon wrote:
Dan

When I do the O’lifts I always jump forward. I concentrate on extending my back and popping my hips but always land 6 to 12 inches forward. I try to stay on my heals. I’m perplexed. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Granville, East of Columbus

[quote]tucker2024 wrote:
Dan -
Just out of curiosity…

where in Ohio?

Tucker[/quote]

It was the classic “what the heck effect.” You just go with it and hope it happens again and again. It doesn’t but you can hope.

[quote]BPC wrote:
Danny John wrote:
I could bore you with the details…so I will. I had Clean and Jerked 264 in a meet (18 years and 198 pounds) and Dick went away to the Montreal Olympics. So, my dad and I went to the Sports Palace to work out. Well, after having been training five days a week for ten months, I only trained twice a week for a change and when I started Clean and jerking, I got right up to 270, 281, and 292. I looked at my dad and we were both a little amazed. So, I took 303 and Dan Cantore asked if I was doing deadlifts. So, I clean and jerked it. It ended up being a bit of a one day jump. I got 308 at the JO nationals soon after, then 319 and I never really looked back.

All your ideas are reasonable. I guess the best thing about Power Curls is that they don’t really hurt and have about a one minute learning mastery curve. There are times when simple is good, too.

skullcowboy wrote:
Hello DJ:

This weekend I’ve been playing around with the Big55, it works great for lifts like press and power curls…not so great with squat snatch and DL, by lower back got fried fast.

Lately, I’ve been playing with the power curl and this exercise is so fun that’s getting in my blood. In your site, you talked about throwers using these.

My question is…for a OLifter(potential thrower) guy what does this lift offer?

From what I’m feeling today…lots of soreness in biceps, lats, traps…the most complete upper body move I’ve done! Definitely a keeper.

Other question…this may kinda subjective. My home PRs in power snatch and power clean & jerk are 210 and 250 respectively. Obviously the c&j should be bigger. Any particular program to get both of these numbers up?

I’d like to sn at least 225 and c&j at least 300…I think it’s quite possible. Someday, I’d like to get all 300 prs like you. How did you get these numbers?

Thanks in advance.

Dan,

In your opinion did this jump occur due to the added rest of training only 2 days per week as opposed to training 5 days per week or was that added strength a result of training 5 days per week?
[/quote]

Dan,

I know all 3 of the following exercises are very valuable but please rank them in order of value in your opinion: overhead presses, (military press & bent press), chinups/pullups, and power curls.

Big gut huh? Just exactly how big is that gut:)

Dan,

Regarding the question above, I meant rank the listed exercises by “most important in terms of upper body strength for most athletes.”

[quote]Danny John wrote:

tucker2024 wrote:
Dan -
Just out of curiosity…

where in Ohio?

Tucker

[/quote]

Are you in town for any public appearances?

I am just down the road in Westerville, and would love to hear you speak.

Otherwise, my gym-garage is open for your use, and my wife and I would be more than happy to supply a grilled chicken feast.

Enjoy the area,
Tucker

Well, if you go to Denison University and ask for the John Powell Discus Camp, I will be the delightful coach yelling the same discus terms over and over…send me some contact information, dj84123@yahoo.com

[quote]tucker2024 wrote:
Danny John wrote:

tucker2024 wrote:
Dan -
Just out of curiosity…

where in Ohio?

Tucker

Are you in town for any public appearances?

I am just down the road in Westerville, and would love to hear you speak.

Otherwise, my gym-garage is open for your use, and my wife and I would be more than happy to supply a grilled chicken feast.

Enjoy the area,
Tucker[/quote]

You still up? By Friday you’ll be in bed by 7p.m. I threw the “real” javelin this weekend and you were right about getting a light one to fly. Making great progress. I’m going to order a weight tonight. As soon as I finish this, I’m going outside for a bunch of dumbbell snatches.

Give me a call, Gary. I stayed up late last night setting up this computer. The school insists on Macafee virus protection and the computer had Norton. So, those two fought it out, until I…without any help from the worthless geek on tech support…figured it out.

I’m okay. Three sessions, good stuff.

[quote]Gary John wrote:
You still up? By Friday you’ll be in bed by 7p.m. I threw the “real” javelin this weekend and you were right about getting a light one to fly. Making great progress. I’m going to order a weight tonight. As soon as I finish this, I’m going outside for a bunch of dumbbell snatches.[/quote]

Dan, your website is great and I aprreciate the valuable information you have disseminated on it. I do have a quetion. Do you think someone who does not have significant strength (BP-200, Squat-210, Deadlift-210) should concentrate on getting stronger before worrying about hypertrophy programs and the like? Should they concentrate on a routine consisting of a Squat or DL, a Press, a Pull,and an Ab exercise with low sets 2-3 with 3-5 reps? For how many days on? How often to max out? What do you think about adding a BB exercise like Calve Raises or DB Laterals to cure my Bodyubuilding itch?

Thank you for your help Dan!

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

[quote]cbichsel wrote:
Dan, your website is great and I aprreciate the valuable information you have disseminated on it. I do have a quetion. Do you think someone who does not have significant strength (BP-200, Squat-210, Deadlift-210) should concentrate on getting stronger before worrying about hypertrophy programs and the like? Should they concentrate on a routine consisting of a Squat or DL, a Press, a Pull,and an Ab exercise with low sets 2-3 with 3-5 reps? For how many days on? How often to max out? What do you think about adding a BB exercise like Calve Raises or DB Laterals to cure my Bodyubuilding itch?

Thank you for your help Dan!
[/quote]

I just bought a very nice shot and 2 discs on ebay…total cost, just under $50. Just incase anyone is looking for the throwing equipment.