T Nation

Monday, DJ Prime Time

Saturday night: fire in a downstairs outlet, toliet overflows upstairts. So, I figure…the world is in balance…

The key is this: I still trained hard on Sunday. A little fire, a little plumbing, a little dog with bloody poop all over her sleeping area…well, that’s not enough to stop me!

Let’s talk training!

Were you serious in another prime time when you said that if you had to start all over again you would use chains on every squat and press?

If so, why do you reccomend this, by which I mean what do you feel you’ve gained, or would have gained from more chain use? More specifically, how would it have made you a better olympic lifter or thrower? Or do they just make you stronger?

Thanks for your time,
Collin

Coach;

What type of strength program would you recommend for someone who wants to get into powerlifting but does solo workouts in a gym (ie. no spotters)

[quote]Danny John wrote:
A little fire, a little plumbing, a little dog with bloody poop all over her sleeping area…[/quote]

Coach,

TMI, TMI, TMI …

Cleans progression … what do you suggest? I’m thinking 5x3, 6x2, 10x1 and repeat. Cleans 2 or 3 days per week.

Bastard

Of course, I was serious. They are the single best thing I have done (new) in years. Acceleration. No other discusssion!!!

[quote]CollinAshmore wrote:
Were you serious in another prime time when you said that if you had to start all over again you would use chains on every squat and press?

If so, why do you reccomend this, by which I mean what do you feel you’ve gained, or would have gained from more chain use? More specifically, how would it have made you a better olympic lifter or thrower? Or do they just make you stronger?

Thanks for your time,
Collin[/quote]

I am not a powerlifting expert, but I would image the Westside program would still be the best. You can get a ton of it here at t-nation…use intelligent %s and you could have a great workout.

[quote]lontaneda wrote:
Coach;

What type of strength program would you recommend for someone who wants to get into powerlifting but does solo workouts in a gym (ie. no spotters)[/quote]

I don’t recommend anything like that for cleans. I like the old way of doing a “natural” pyramid of just keep adding plates and cutting reps. Don’t make it too specific, cleans rely on a lot of nervous energy…

[quote]Bastard wrote:
Danny John wrote:
A little fire, a little plumbing, a little dog with bloody poop all over her sleeping area…

Coach,

TMI, TMI, TMI …

Cleans progression … what do you suggest? I’m thinking 5x3, 6x2, 10x1 and repeat. Cleans 2 or 3 days per week.

Bastard[/quote]

ok. thank you. i meant one of those for a day and not all in one session, in case that somehow got lost in translation.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I don’t recommend anything like that for cleans. I like the old way of doing a “natural” pyramid of just keep adding plates and cutting reps. Don’t make it too specific, cleans rely on a lot of nervous energy…

Bastard wrote:
[/quote]

Thank you. I love how simple you keep it because I have a horrible tendency to overthink things.

Collin

When doing overhead squats my primary problem is my elbows “breaking”. Would this be primarily a weak triceps problem or not stretching the bar?

Oh, one more thing. Do you always squat olympic style, that is to say deep? Also, have you always squatted this way? And lastly, if you always have squatted this way, have you ever had any knee injuries or what have you done to prevent knee injuries?

Thanks
Collin

Coach,

On your website you have an program for in-season football players. I was wondering what your recomendations for an in-season wrestler would be?

Still, for cleans only…I am just not a fan of “organization.” You can be off on cleans for no reason and have a planned workout that just fails miserably. It’s funny, but snatches are “more difficult” but I rarely find you have those massive swings in snatch workouts.

So, for cleans…simple and follow the body. I found…horrors!..that I improved on my clean when I stopped doing cleans.

[quote]Bastard wrote:
ok. thank you. i meant one of those for a day and not all in one session, in case that somehow got lost in translation.

Danny John wrote:

Bastard wrote:

[/quote]

I watch this everyday. I think your “latter” is more right, stretch the bar apart, but it is also upper girdle flexibility, focus, and “whatever” strength. You might have something weak that is only been exposed since popping the bar up and out…

[quote]sully’s wrote:
When doing overhead squats my primary problem is my elbows “breaking”. Would this be primarily a weak triceps problem or not stretching the bar?[/quote]

I had an interview on crossfitlive last night and we talked about this at length. I think you go damn deep from day one. BUT, if you don’t know how to squat, it really is academic to discuss this. I spend hours…hours …of my life hearing: “Squats hurt my knees.” “Show me a squat.”

“That’s NOT a squat.” See the junk on my site concerning squatting and give the “doorknob drill” a true attempt. You will find that your knees…a miracle!..no longer hurt.

You are meant to do lots of things. It’s not my fault if you choose to do them wrong.

It’s TC’s fault.

[quote]CollinAshmore wrote:
Oh, one more thing. Do you always squat olympic style, that is to say deep? Also, have you always squatted this way? And lastly, if you always have squatted this way, have you ever had any knee injuries or what have you done to prevent knee injuries?

Thanks
Collin[/quote]

I am a follower and great admirer of Dan Gable. Wrestle.

“If it is important, do it everyday. If it is not important, don’t do it at all.”

So, look to Obiwan Gable. I trust him…

[quote]ICWrestling wrote:
Coach,

On your website you have an program for in-season football players. I was wondering what your recomendations for an in-season wrestler would be? [/quote]

Hey DJ,

I’ve read a lot about technique for the back squats, but very little about the front squat. Any specific tips you have for front squats, similar to sitting far back or sucking air into your stomach or pushing your knees out in the back squat?

I’ve been keeping this from you. Last week I started doing an exercise called the “bench press”. There has been a weight bench buried in my warehouse for about 20 years. We picked it up when a plant closed.

Not wanting to trouble you, I did a lot of research and video watching. Finally, I went to this website by some guy named Charles Staley. They had some good info on the basic setup.

I’m doing 5x5’s adding 5 lbs. a workout. Started really light and should be over 500 for a max by next summer. That is if I bench twice a week. If I go three times a week, it should be closer to 800.

I’ll start doing inclines in about 6 weeks. The last time I benched more than twice a year is when we lifted on the back porch.

My throwing is going well and I know I need to work on a few things.

Gary

I think you miss interpreted what I was getting at. Up until the last 6 months I was actively competing in Olypmic lifting, actually made it to Collegiate Nationals twice(as if that really means anything). So I do squat deep. I certainly don’t have any problems getting “ass to grass” as they say or with the door knob test. (I’ve read that article several times incidentally.)

Now, I tore some cartilage in my knee about 6 months ago and just got it repaired. Saturday for the first time I squatted again, and yes I squatted olympic style.

However, I asked you the question because while I have had sore knees, I have never had painful knees, and goes right up until the day I tore the cartilage. So I guess I was wondering if you as a deep squatter had ever had knee issues, and if you didn’t I thought maybe you did some sort of “prehab” for them.

Anyways, sorry I wasn’t clear in what I was asking. And thanks again,

Collin

Well, lightly hold the bar for one thing. I have a brief overview of the Front Squat on my site, but really the key is to do them. And do them. And do them.

[quote]poper wrote:
Hey DJ,

I’ve read a lot about technique for the back squats, but very little about the front squat. Any specific tips you have for front squats, similar to sitting far back or sucking air into your stomach or pushing your knees out in the back squat?[/quote]