Mom's Chili Recipe

Yup, no beans…and that doesn’t seem very spicy, but I like 4 alarm +. Of course I make my own chili powder so I may be a little over the top.

If im not mistaken, its not just beans, but no vegitables at all. I remember when I was near Houston for a Chili Cook-off by the Texan’s field and all the chili I had there was awesome, but none had any veggies.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Don’t listen to BFG. He’s gay.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, unless you are BFG.

Glad to see you are on the thread. Now, as a born and raised Texan, I need some clarification from you. Am I correct in my assumption that purists (i.e. most Texans) do not make chili with beans?[/quote]

To win a prize in Terlingua, no beans. But there are all kinds of chile recipes with beans. I don’t think “kidney beans” - especially white ones - are allowed across our state line.

The only I see wrong with it is the previously mentioned heat factor. Add some cayenne.

Other than that, I was licking my chops just reading the recipe.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
If im not mistaken, its not just beans, but no vegitables at all. I remember when I was near Houston for a Chili Cook-off by the Texan’s field and all the chili I had there was awesome, but none had any veggies.[/quote]

No ground beef either. Most “real” chili I’ve had used minced meats. Damn, this is making me hungry now.

BTW, what do you guys prefer eating your chili with - rice, cornbread, rolls or something else?

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Dude, get outta my head! I was just posting a question to RJ on that same topic when you wrote that. See, I had a feeling that a Texan would eventually step up on this one. Well, consider this my New England chili if ya will.[/quote]

Haha, ESP bro ;-). Well, at least you got your answer before you even asked the question :-).

I throw some cheese on the top and eat it with fritos scoops or tostitos scoops. Yes this breaks the rules but who cares. Its impossible for me to gain any fat.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
BluePfaltz wrote:
If im not mistaken, its not just beans, but no vegitables at all. I remember when I was near Houston for a Chili Cook-off by the Texan’s field and all the chili I had there was awesome, but none had any veggies.

No ground beef either. Most “real” chili I’ve had used minced meats. Damn, this is making me hungry now.

BTW, what do you guys prefer eating your chili with - rice, cornbread, rolls or something else?

[/quote]

Good Lord I am getting hungry. Still at work and have to get in a workout yet. Argh.

See, now if you have beans in it, you do not necessarily need the rice… but it does taste damn good that way. If you can get good cornbread, that is cash money. So money, it doesn’t even know how money it is.

Has anyone ever tried chili with whole flax seeds? I have never tried it. Heck, I just thought of it! Would they soften with cooking or would ther need to be crushed?

As a general question, can you cook with whole flax seeds?

Jayhawk

[quote]Jayhawk wrote:
Has anyone ever tried chili with whole flax seeds? I have never tried it. Heck, I just thought of it! Would they soften with cooking or would ther need to be crushed?

As a general question, can you cook with whole flax seeds?

Jayhawk[/quote]

Cook with whole seeds? Hmm… I dunno. I would think they would stick between your teeth a bit, more so than the milled variety. Give it a try - I would be curious to how that turns out for you.

In the past 7 days I have consumed 3 pots of this stuff.

Wow.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
If im not mistaken, its not just beans, but no vegitables at all. I remember when I was near Houston for a Chili Cook-off by the Texan’s field and all the chili I had there was awesome, but none had any veggies.[/quote]

It does have veggies, but the cooking teams mince them so finely you can’t see any in the final product. Typically, it’s just onion and garlic minced very, very finely. Texas chili judges (for some reason) like a smooth consistency in cook-offs.

For the meat, teams usually use beef tips, or diced beef tips, and no beans. Being from Texas, that’s always how I see it being cooked. Personally, I say fuck the popular way, make it how you want it.

I make mine similar to the one here, but I use whole cumin and about 1/4cup of chili powder.

Let me know if you guys are jumping on the band wagon.

I’ll be cooking this every sunday. Anyone else?

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Let me know if you guys are jumping on the band wagon.

I’ll be cooking this every sunday. Anyone else?[/quote]

I’m gonna cook up a pot of it this weekend too.

I made it last night and it was great! Not spicy though (which was good for us), so if you like spice you would have to add some cayenne like Rainjack suggested. I used 3 tsp of chilli powder and I also did the cocoa powder thing. The only thing it seems to be missing to me is just a little bit of sugar, but I think I would probably solve that problem by omitting the cocoa powder next time, which might give it a hint of a bitter flavour.

Anyway, I will be making it again for sure. My husband really liked it. It only takes 15 minutes to throw everything in the pot, so I’m sure I’ll love recipes like that once I have a screaming baby to take care of.

[quote]JPBear wrote:
I made it last night and it was great! Not spicy though (which was good for us), so if you like spice you would have to add some cayenne like Rainjack suggested. I used 3 tsp of chilli powder and I also did the cocoa powder thing. The only thing it seems to be missing to me is just a little bit of sugar, but I think I would probably solve that problem by omitting the cocoa powder next time, which might give it a hint of a bitter flavour.

Anyway, I will be making it again for sure. My husband really liked it. It only takes 15 minutes to throw everything in the pot, so I’m sure I’ll love recipes like that once I have a screaming baby to take care of.
[/quote]

Taking a little bit of everything from the thread to make some T-Nation chili! I like it. It’s certainly not a spicy form of chili if you go strictly by the recipe (but I am not one who can handle super hot like my Texas friends).

You guys want in on a little secret I use to make tri-tips tender and yummy: marinate them in coke overnight then season lightly w/ a dash of salt and pepper and coat w/ cocoa powder and olive oil before grilling. You can thank me later ;).

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
You guys want in on a little secret I use to make tri-tips tender and yummy: marinate them in coke overnight then season lightly w/ a dash of salt and pepper and coat w/ cocoa powder and olive oil before grilling. You can thank me later ;).[/quote]

I’ve heard of people using Coke as a marinade, but have never tried it. I gotta give this sucker a run now… highly intriguing.

And let’s all pause for a moment in praise of beef. All this talk about it is bringing a tear to my eye! sniff It’s beautiful!

Nice recipe, Kuz! I make a similar chili, but after browning the meat, put everything into the crockpot for several hours so I don’t have to think about it.

Also, I have used ground venison, venison sausage, ground turkey, black beans and even some lentils with great success.

Im cooking that right now!

I don’t know what I’d do without good 'ol steer meat. Beef has to be the single greatest meat around. Just my humble opinion. Lamb isn’t too far off either. I could go for a pine nut crusted rack of lamb right now (recipe to be posted soon).