Mom's Chili Recipe

After providing TriGWU with my Mom’s chili recipe (the boy simply needed more red meat in his diet, for God’s sake), I’ve seen some people asking about it. Well, I thought I would post it here and share the goodness as opposed to hoarding it for myself. Now I know some chili purists will lament, “Sweet mother of God! REAL chili does not have beans in it!!!” but I’m not too concerned about that. It tastes great and is one helluva P+C meal. Probably a touch high on the sodium, but if that is not a concern for you, dig right in.

So without further ado:

2 lbs ground beef (Mom uses chuck, I go as lean as possible, like 93% lean)
2 medium onions, sliced
1 28 oz. can of Italian peeled tomatoes
6 oz. can of tomato paste
1 cup of cold water
2 beef bullion cubes (which you dissolve in the cold water in a microwave)
2 16 oz. cans of red and white kidney beans (i.e. one can of each)
2 tbsp. diced green pepper (I just use a whole one)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp salt
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

Directions:
Brown meat and onions in large skillet. Drain (Mom does not say that, but it cuts down a touch on fat) and put into a large pot (like a good sized one you would do pasta in)
Add all other ingredients into the pot.
Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Top with grated cheese if you like.

Quick note: I do not drain the beans or any of the other canned items before chucking into the pot and the consistency still comes out just fine (especially in subsequent days… it thickens over time).

That’s it. The beauty of the recipe is that once you have it down (which does not take long) you can tailor it any way you want. I sometimes use ground turkey for the meat or even chuck in some honey (although I am not sure I can taste it when it is done). Store in Tupperware and you will be eating it for a week. It actually begins to taste better the day after since all the spices really soak into the meat and beans.

While this clearly can work for anybody, this should be an absolute staple in any bachelor’s arsenal. It’s not very difficult and lasts for days. What more could you want?

I would love to hear feedback from people after they try it.

Kuz

I proudly endorse this.

I cook up two batches every Sunday store them in tupperware for the week. They hold up great in the fridge. I finish the batch up evenly throughout the week.

This is killer for college students where broiling a steak sucks and using a foreman is out of the question.

Great for hardgainers too. Another 4lbs of beef p/ week added to your diet and plenty of great carbs.

thanks … are there carbs in that?

Bastard

[quote]BFG wrote:

Bastard[/quote]

LOL The funny thing with you, BFG, is I can never figure out if you are joking or not. Keeps me guessing.

If I can offer a slight modification, try adding about 1TBSP cocoa powder per lb of beef. You can add more or less as you prefer, but I like about 1/4C for a 2lb recipe. Might try it on a smaller recipe the first time, but I can tell you that it doesn’t taste chocolate. It just brings up the flavor a lot. Much richer. I got this from a friend that enters chili contests.

Then there is the nice, dark beer option. mmm :slight_smile:

-folly

[quote]Kuz wrote:
BFG wrote:

Bastard

LOL The funny thing with you, BFG, is I can never figure out if you are joking or not. Keeps me guessing.[/quote]

yeah. i keep myself guessing too.

the REAL funny thing is this: it seems that when i am serious, people think i am kidding. and vice versa.

over in the TILF thread, i asked someone how a pregnancy “happened”. they responded jokingly that it was from sex. i thought, ok. cool. :wink:

THEN, they responded seriously, as if i was asking some deep question and shit. wow.

Bastard

btw, carbs? y or n :wink:

I hate to sound like an idiot but I wonder if a scoop of Chocolate Grow! would work.

Nice! You need your own cooking show.

Cookin’ With The Kuz.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
I hate to sound like an idiot but I wonder if a scoop of Chocolate Grow! would work.[/quote]

That’s not anything I had ever considered. The cocoa works because it isn’t sweet at all. Grow! might not be a bad idea. Cocoa is cheaper, though. :slight_smile:

-folly

[quote]Kuz wrote:
After providing TriGWU with my Mom’s chili recipe (the boy simply needed more red meat in his diet, for God’s sake),
Kuz[/quote]

nice recipe kuz i’m firing it up ! and as a side note to your comment above i remember reading an interview w/ mark allen who was a vegetarian for years. the gist of it was he was on a performance plateau -just before he was dominant- and instinctively had a hunger for steak. so he went back to eating meat. according to him the meat was his missing link and that’s when he started winning everything in sight.

so make sure your mom’s chili get’s a few inches on TriGWU’s swim cap !

[quote]swivel wrote:
so make sure your mom’s chili get’s a few inches on TriGWU’s swim cap ![/quote]

Yeah, now THERE is an excellent point, by MC Swivs. Where’s the “Powered By Kuz’s Down Home Chili” sticker going to be, Tri? Geez, by the time you’re done, you’re going to look more like Tony Stewart than… uhhh… hmmm… OK, I cannot name any tri-dudes (I was trying to think of the name of the guy in the Gatorade commercial).

Thanks Kuz,

I will definitely give this a try.

[quote]BFG wrote:
Kuz wrote:
BFG wrote:

Bastard

LOL The funny thing with you, BFG, is I can never figure out if you are joking or not. Keeps me guessing.

yeah. i keep myself guessing too.

the REAL funny thing is this: it seems that when i am serious, people think i am kidding. and vice versa.

over in the TILF thread, i asked someone how a pregnancy “happened”. they responded jokingly that it was from sex. i thought, ok. cool. :wink:

THEN, they responded seriously, as if i was asking some deep question and shit. wow.

Bastard

btw, carbs? y or n ;)[/quote]

LMAO I’ve been having mayhem-filled day. Ohhh, that just made everything seem better. Good story.

And I dunno if it has carbs or not. Is beef a carb? Can anyone help out on that? I get confused.

Hey you just might have a spot on my Ironman jersey… those cost $$ though. Although that chili is money.

I’m psyched to have this little addition for the off-season.

Hey BFG, I hear that if you replace the beef with 2lbs of tofu it will help your pecs grow.

Kuz, I think all those beans add quite a bit of fat and very little fiber to the mix. Any thought of adding something like olive oil to boost the fiber content?

Don’t listen to BFG. He’s gay.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, unless you are BFG.

That recipe sounds good, but I think I speak for all the Texans here when I say that they would not consider this real chili since it has beans in it and well, Texans are the authority of all things chili.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
I proudly endorse this.

I cook up two batches every Sunday store them in tupperware for the week. They hold up great in the fridge. I finish the batch up evenly throughout the week.

This is killer for college students where broiling a steak sucks and using a foreman is out of the question.

Great for hardgainers too. Another 4lbs of beef p/ week added to your diet and plenty of great carbs. [/quote]

Hey TriGWU, I was wondering what’s the problem with foreman grill? What’s bad using it? Because, I plan to buy one, one day…

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Don’t listen to BFG. He’s gay.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, unless you are BFG.[/quote]

Glad to see you are on the thread. Now, as a born and raised Texan, I need some clarification from you. Am I correct in my assumption that purists (i.e. most Texans) do not make chili with beans?

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Kuz, I think all those beans add quite a bit of fat and very little fiber to the mix. Any thought of adding something like olive oil to boost the fiber content?[/quote]

Interesting thought. I am going to have to take that into consideration. See, this thread is already paying dividends.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
That recipe sounds good, but I think I speak for all the Texans here when I say that they would not consider this real chili since it has beans in it and well, Texans are the authority of all things chili.[/quote]

Dude, get outta my head! I was just posting a question to RJ on that same topic when you wrote that. See, I had a feeling that a Texan would eventually step up on this one. Well, consider this my New England chili if ya will.