Molnes - Second Round of Sheiko

Just some short info on me and my training background:

I’ve been lifting weights for about 1 year now. Most of the time I have wasted doing stupid bobybuilding programs. Not to long ago I got really interested in powerlifting. I’ve always wanted to be strong, and powerlifting is a good benchmark for absolute strength.

Not to long ago I did my first cycle of sheiko training. It was tough, but I made awesome gains, so I was very pleased. Before sheiko my PR’s were 95 kg in squat, 95 kg bench and a 135 deadlift. After it was 100, 125, 160. Now I have started another round of sheiko and I expect to increase my total by ~ 25 kg this time. I managed 60 kg the first time, but a lot of that was probably due to improved technique.

Bodyweight: ~ 115 kg (too much, yes)
PR’s:
Squat: 125 kg
Bench: 100 kg
Deadlift: 180 kg

My goals for the program:
Squat: 135 kg
Bench: 105 kg
Deadlift: 190 kg

I’m done with the first week of the cycle. Generally it was a good week with mostly light lifts. Especially the benching feels really light, so perhaps I might be able to reach 110 instead of just 105 this time. The squat’s are slightly heavier, yet still pretty light. The deadlifts were kinda heavy, but for some reason deadlifts always feel heavy no matter what for me.

I will be back with a log from the first day of sheiko in week 2 later today.

Week 2

Day 1

Squat
1x5@ 62,50
2x4@ 75,00
2x3@ 87,50
2x2@ 100,00
3x1@ 115,00

Bench
1x5@ 50,00
1x4@ 60,00
2x3@ 70,00
6x2@ 80,00

Flat dumbell flyes
5x10@ 20,00
superset with dumbel rows 5x10@ 30 kg

Squat
1x5@ 62,50
1x4@ 75,00
2x3@ 90,00
4x2@ 100,00

And finally some mobility work.

Thoughts about the workout:
All lifts where quite light, and I even managed to do full stop at the bottom of the heaviest squat lifts and in the bench as well.

Looking good. That looks like a very typical (though not bad at all) sheiko routine. How do you like it so far?

I found I got burnt out doing 2 full squat works in one session. If you can keep it up,thats awesome. Very difficult.

Nice work, keep it up.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
Looking good. That looks like a very typical (though not bad at all) sheiko routine. How do you like it so far?

I found I got burnt out doing 2 full squat works in one session. If you can keep it up,thats awesome. Very difficult.

Nice work, keep it up.[/quote]

I’m still a newbie so even though the percentages are as high as they should be compared to my PR’s they really aren’t as heavy as if I was stronger and would use the same percentages. In my first cycle of Sheiko I got stronger as I did the routine, I was noticeably stronger in the last week compared to the first. This you could never expect from a drug free lifter who already is strong, but I guess it’s possible if you’re not strong.

Doing two squat works in one session hasn’t been a problem yet, but it might be later on, who knows really… So far the only thing that feels heavy are the deads. Don’t know why, since all the lifting is based of my recent pr’s in the exercises.

I don’t think that its a matter of being drug free or not. I always feel weaker on week 1 than week 4.

I take 1 week off (I do higher rep, low weight stuff) and come back and the 80% feels heavy the first week usually. I’ve noticed this, no matter how good my conditioning gets.

You can take a look at what i’m doing w/ sheiko (I lift today for day 1) and you’ll laugh at the volume compared to what you’re doing.

But what you’re doing is normal. I never feel strong on week 1, i just bust my ass and push through it. I guess thats why sheiko works so well. Your conditioning and strength just skyrockets due to necessity.

Thanks for the insight. Maybe it’s more normal than I thought to get stronger as you’re doing the routine. But I thought the deload was there , because you’re getting weaker and you need the pause?

Week 2, Day 3 (Wednesday)

Deadlift to the knees
1x4@ 90,00
2x4@ 108,00
2x3@ 126,00
4x3@ 135,00

Bench
1x5@ 50,00
1x5@ 60,00
2x4@ 70,00
2x3@ 75,00
2x2@ 80,00
2x3@ 75,00
2x5@ 70,00
1x7@ 60,00
1x9@ 50,00

Flat dumbell flyes
5x10
Deadlift
1x4@ 90,00
1x4@ 108,00
2x3@ 126,00
5x3@ 144,00

Put very short the benching felt extremely light even though I did most of the Heaviest lifting with long stops at the bottom. The Deadlift however was heavy as hell, but I got through it anyways. I am noticing a subtle pain in my knees know. Hope it doesn’t get any worse.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
I don’t think that its a matter of being drug free or not. I always feel weaker on week 1 than week 4.

I take 1 week off (I do higher rep, low weight stuff) and come back and the 80% feels heavy the first week usually. I’ve noticed this, no matter how good my conditioning gets.

You can take a look at what i’m doing w/ sheiko (I lift today for day 1) and you’ll laugh at the volume compared to what you’re doing.

But what you’re doing is normal. I never feel strong on week 1, i just bust my ass and push through it. I guess thats why sheiko works so well. Your conditioning and strength just skyrockets due to necessity.[/quote]

I completely agree here. My first week is normally quite sucky and I start to come into my own mid way thru week 2 or at the start of week 3, and by that stage I feel like I could walk thru walls!

Week 2, Day 5

Bench
1x5@ 50,00
2x4@ 60,00
2x3@ 70,00
5x2@ 80,00

Squat
1x5@ 62,50
2x5@ 75,00
1x5@ 87,50 (Should have been 5x5)

Bench
1x4@ 55,00
1x3@ 65,00
5x2@ 75,00

Tricep pushdown
5x8

The bench felt really light even with long stops at the bottom. The squat was also quite light, but I had to stop the workout after the first set on 90 kg. My right knee didn’t feel too good so I decided to quit the workout before it could get any worse.

Been crazy busy these last couple of weeks with no less than 4 exams in the same period I’ve been training sheiko. For that reason I’ve been real lazy when it comes to this training log.

On the plus side I have not been lazy in my training. The last few weeks of training has been pretty good. The knee stopped bothering me after a brief period of mild discomfort, so no worries there either. I’m currently in the middle of my deload week and I will test my new maxes next week. I can’t wait to see the results :smiley:

i guess it is the norwegian molnes ? interesting to see you have a log! keep on hammering!

Yes, I also keep a log on treningsforum.no, but with a different username (Geir M). The name of the topic is “Geir versus Boris Ivanovich Sheiko” It’s been updated with all my sheiko workouts and one session for the deload. I’ve been really busy of late, so I just haven’t gotten around to doing both a log in Norwegian and one in English.

Stallion = Frontbøymannen , correct?

I think people are deluding themselves to a great degree when doing these insane routines without drugs. Just look at the highest volume regimens you read about…they come from eastern europe which is drugsville and has been for decades. “Bulgarian” secrets “eastern bloc” secrets…the secret was always megadoses of testosterone- period.

When is this going to sink in? How many of you are going to tear yourselves down and sink into depression because you can’t look like superman on a training program meant for guys taking pills by the handfull?

Yeah it's fun to see results and all that, but realize your limitations otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure once you can't meet your unrealistic expectations.

[quote]USNS physique wrote:
I think people are deluding themselves to a great degree when doing these insane routines without drugs. Just look at the highest volume regimens you read about…they come from eastern europe which is drugsville and has been for decades. “Bulgarian” secrets “eastern bloc” secrets…the secret was always megadoses of testosterone- period.[/quote]

Yeah, well I think you’re full of shit and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Hanley, I think you should give up Sheiko already. It’s obviously doing nothing for you. :wink:

[quote]molnes wrote:
Yes, I also keep a log on treningsforum.no, but with a different username (Geir M). The name of the topic is “Geir versus Boris Ivanovich Sheiko” It’s been updated with all my sheiko workouts and one session for the deload. I’ve been really busy of late, so I just haven’t gotten around to doing both a log in Norwegian and one in English.

Stallion = Frontbøymannen , correct? [/quote]

correct! i have a break from treningsforum. because of exams. i find i use less time here. :wink:

Sheiko is really some tough programs and it is the truth they are designed for drug-users originally, but still i have had good gains from them, as a non drug user. but the volume is insane, that is correct, i also know about people that have injuried themself on the program, but also many that have had good success.

dietmar is said to be the norwegian watered down version of sheiko, for normal nutrition.

anyway i myself stick to smolov as that is what gives me the best progress. that is also a routine made for (most likely) enhanced squatters. But believe it or not, if you have the required work capasity you can do it, and without drugs.

Most norwegian top lifters however run dietmar, or a version of it.

the case is anyway - to be good you have to train a lot!

for a beginner a lot of volume is the way to go, but it is important not to burn yourself out!

sheiko squatting is a vacation if you are coming from smolov. this coming from a man that has done both regimens.

– stallion.

Obviously the volume is insane, but it still works for people not using drugs. One must also remember that the program I’ve been using is called “Beginners 1”, which is the easiest sheiko program.

When it comes to injuries I don’t think they will just suddenly happen - at least not in most cases. It’s important that you listen to your body. If your knees hurt then stop squating until they don’t. If your elbows starts to hurt during a bench-marathon then stop the session short. I did that once during my first cycle of sheiko and I have not noticed any more pain after that incident.

you stand correct molnes!

Finally the deload is over! Time to get some new PR’s :smiley:

I’m not gonna write too much about this workout except that I’m quite happy with the results.

Squat:
Old Pr: 125
New Pr: 140

Bench:
Old Pr: 100
New Pr: 110

Deadlift:
Old Pr: 180
New Pr: 190

Total increase: 405–>440 = + 35 kg

5 weeks of training (1 deload) and I added 35 kgs on my total (77 lbs) , can’t complain really :smiley: