T Nation

Modifying Meltdown Training?

Hello, I recently began meltdown training, the original one in an attempt to tone up after a bulk and it totally kicks my ass. Ive wreslted for about 6 years and only once did I feel as exhausted after a match as I did after this workout. Like whole body was getting chills pulse through the roof.

My problem is I feel like im not getting a “real” workout without benching, close grip benching, things like that. Has anyone tried this and stuck to the original plan, or have they modified it at all? and What kind of results did you see?

I feel like I have brought my chest and Tri’s up pretty nicely over the course of my bulk and dont want to lose what it all by only doing dips and pushups for chest and tris.

I don’t think that you need to be too concerned about losing chest and triceps mass while on Meltdown: it is only for a month and you are getting plenty of stimulation for those areas.

I get the feeling that you have just finished a higher volume routine, so it is only natural to assume that you aren’t doing enough to get the job done, as it were.

You’ve got to bear in mind that you are hitting the entire body four times a week. If you are coming off a split or a higher volume routine, then it is very likely that you will see more gains than normal because of the new style of training.

You might be interested in Charles Poliquin’s Advanced German Body Composition program:

It is a similar style of training, but allows for more variety and is a split routine…

The 2 times i did meltdown, i added one or two heavy exercises before the circuit (but i trained 3x not 4x a week), for example:
Mon: Bench and Row + day1 circuit
Wed: Front Squat + day 2 circuit
Fri:Push Press and Pullups + day1 circuit
Mon: Deadlift + day 2 circuit
Wed:start again

About only doing dips and pushups for chest and tris, you can do weighted dips and replace pushups with DB bench (i did that too).

I tried this earlier this summer. It left my ass all over the gym floor every time I did it - BUT, I really didn’t feel that I was getting much quality work with my muscles. It’s not like DOMS is crucial after every workout, but I wasn’t impressed with the lack of overall fatigue I’d feel later in the day after Meltdown.

Also, I had to bail early (before I could really trying to see if it was helping my physique,) because some certain moves like push presses were just tearing my shoulder apart.

But no, in response to your question, I wouldn’t modify the program and expect it to work as well.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I tried this earlier this summer. It left my ass all over the gym floor every time I did it - BUT, I really didn’t feel that I was getting much quality work with my muscles. It’s not like DOMS is crucial after every workout, but I wasn’t impressed with the lack of overall fatigue I’d feel later in the day after Meltdown.

Also, I had to bail early (before I could really trying to see if it was helping my physique,) because some certain moves like push presses were just tearing my shoulder apart.

But no, in response to your question, I wouldn’t modify the program and expect it to work as well.[/quote]

I totally agree about not modifying the program. Even if you do something as minor as swapping the push ups for bench press, you will not quite get the same effect.

Remember that the meltdown circuits are structured in such a way that lactic acid production is maximized.

This will happen with bench press, but not as well as with push ups, especially if you follow the tempos recommended by Don Alessi.

BTW, it is vital that you follow the tempos exactly as prescribed (tempo speed is the ‘magic ingredient’ here). Otherwise, you may get nothing out of the program.

[quote]roybot wrote:
SSC wrote:

But no, in response to your question, I wouldn’t modify the program and expect it to work as well.

I totally agree about not modifying the program. Even if you do something as minor as swapping the push ups for bench press, you will not quite get the same effect.

Remember that the meltdown circuits are structured in such a way that lactic acid production is maximized.

This will happen with bench press, but not as well as with push ups, especially if you follow the tempos recommended by Don Alessi.

BTW, it is vital that you follow the tempos exactly as prescribed (tempo speed is the ‘magic ingredient’ here). Otherwise, you may get nothing out of the program.
[/quote]

About program modifications, i think it depends of the reasoning behind them. For example, after some point the pushups get too easy, if in the last circuits you can do a more than 10 with feet elevated and hands in DBs (for more ROM), the DB bench is a good substitute if dont have a weighted vest etc to make the pushups harder.

That’s very true.

With regards to Meltdown I though, there is an emphasis on strength endurance rather than max strength (max strength is covered in Meltdown II).

If you can complete the exercises in 100 % strict form, as Don Alessi recommends (the way he describes them will significantly reduce your max and induce fatique far quicker than normal), and they are still too easy, then you might need a more demanding program.

If I could complete a given program with ease, I would prefer to find a more difficult routine, rather than radically alter one (unless it was designed with progressions and modifications in mind. Meltdown I isn’t; Meltdown II and III are the progressions).

But, as you say, there is always some room for substitution in a program. You just have to be careful not to go too far with the tinkering - otherwise you may end up with something completely different from what you started with, and not what the author had in mind.

I still think that the OP would be better off doing advanced GBC, seeing as he feels that he isn’t giving enough attention to certain muscle groups.

I mean, why add things to a program when you can just choose another that will better fit your needs?

hey thanks a lot. Im going to stick with the meltdown I and try to really get the tempo down pat and see what happens. thanks though you had some great info.

[quote]slash4221 wrote:
hey thanks a lot. Im going to stick with the meltdown I and try to really get the tempo down pat and see what happens. thanks though you had some great info.[/quote]

Yeah, seriously. I don’t think I can put enough emphasis on doing everything correctly. It will probably leave your ass on the floor, though it doesn’t compare to something like breathing squats. :stuck_out_tongue: