Modern Life and Test Levels

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

Do they lift by any chance? I’m inclined to think that they don’t.
Almost all my Spanish friends are in relationships and they are totally pussy whipped. One came to visit me last year with his girlfriend and I had a talk with him about this. His final argument was “Yeah, but this way she’s happy so I’m happy too”. Can’t argue against that…no chance.

[/quote]

I have friends who go to the gym, but they are the type who think that running is going to help them lose more weight than lifting…so they run a lot…and while they have lost fat, much of any lean body mass they had went with it…so they tend to mostly look “smaller” rather than leaner.

I have very few friends into bodybuilding to the degree I am. I know a lot of people IN the gym like me, but they are mostly people I only speak to when I’m there and not really hang with.

The average male today may go to a gym, but they don’t push like people did even 10-15 years ago. Getting big muscles is now seen as unwanted (even though this is noticeably changing lately). The women folk may get scared.[/quote]

So, in short, your non-manly friends don’t lift heavy weights.

So it really seems that, because of testosterone and other factors, muscles make a man.
[/quote]

It’s not about muscles. My friends who were born in the 70’s or 60’s seem to simply be more “male” than the ones who were born later. It’s reflected in their work ethic, choice of profession, hobbies, tastes etc.

That said, these men respect strength.

I have nothing to add at this point, because i agree with everything that has been posted, so far. Carry on, gentlemen…

[quote]lewhitehurst wrote:
I have nothing to add at this point, because i agree with everything that has been posted, so far. Carry on, gentlemen…[/quote]

X 2 and I will say yes for me being born in the early 70’s.

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

Do they lift by any chance? I’m inclined to think that they don’t.
Almost all my Spanish friends are in relationships and they are totally pussy whipped. One came to visit me last year with his girlfriend and I had a talk with him about this. His final argument was “Yeah, but this way she’s happy so I’m happy too”. Can’t argue against that…no chance.

[/quote]

I have friends who go to the gym, but they are the type who think that running is going to help them lose more weight than lifting…so they run a lot…and while they have lost fat, much of any lean body mass they had went with it…so they tend to mostly look “smaller” rather than leaner.

I have very few friends into bodybuilding to the degree I am. I know a lot of people IN the gym like me, but they are mostly people I only speak to when I’m there and not really hang with.

The average male today may go to a gym, but they don’t push like people did even 10-15 years ago. Getting big muscles is now seen as unwanted (even though this is noticeably changing lately). The women folk may get scared.[/quote]

So, in short, your non-manly friends don’t lift heavy weights.

So it really seems that, because of testosterone and other factors, muscles make a man.
[/quote]

It’s not about muscles. My friends who were born in the 70’s or 60’s seem to simply be more “male” than the ones who were born later. It’s reflected in their work ethic, choice of profession, hobbies, tastes etc.

That said, these men respect strength.
[/quote]

It really does come down to work ethic in and out of the gym. I see a lot of guys in their 20’s who seem to think their time in college will simply reward them with some dream job…almost as if it comes as a package deal. It seems to be a foreign concept just how difficult the real world is lately and just how bad ass your resume has to be to compete.

I am also betting quite a few women would cheer to find out they are literally stamping out the male “problem”. They are likely the same ones giggling at penis amputation.

LOL. Didn’t know this was a catholic argument.

I just want to be able to be myself in public without people acting like any sign of even the slightest bit of being upset is now socially unacceptable.

People are more passive aggressive now…which is not better. It just plays more games because people are sue happy.

Lawyers have no gripes about defending the whiniest people in society…therefore, the whiniest people set the standards.

[/quote]

I wish it wasn’t, but yeah for awhile we’ve been trying to tell people that…yes, men and women are different and stop trying to act like they are not, you’re only hurting yourselves.

But we get told to shut up, we’re misogynistic, &c. But I’m glad it has moved from just out of the Catholic Church to the rest of the world and that others are seeing that really man and woman are two different things that act two different ways. To ignore that causes serious issues.

I feel you. I rarely raise my voice, but when I do it’s all eyes on the “crazy” man and I must be drunk, or must hate women or something. Heaven forbid that I want to have a drink (real drink not something sweeter than a birthday cake), or smoke a cigar, or talk about cars and motorcycles, or play poker because it doesn’t seem like guys do any of that any more and a hundred other things guys used to do.

The last time I had a fishing partner was when my father didn’t have his metal knee, none of my friends in this town even know how to tie a knot to actually fish.

I have no scientific studies to back me up, but I believe men today have less testosterone if they were fed formula as a baby, due to the soy and other milk substitutes in it. Putting so much pseudo-estrogens like soy into a tiny infant boy could effect his hormonal development. On the flip side, girls fed formula will develop much earlier.

This is just my opinion, and I breast fed all my kids. The only observation I can make is that my boys were shaving before all their friends, and seem to have more muscle mass. Or it could just be plain old genetics at work. Yo Daddy is a huge, hairy man, so the acorns won’t fall far from the tree.

I’m all for being a “manly man” (as if you couldnt tell by my mustache thread) but there is nothing wrong with putting you wife/fiancé/whatever’s feelings/needs/wants ahead of your own sometimes. A relationship is give and take.

Completely agree with everything except, “Yeah, but this way she’s happy so I’m happy too”. Perhaps I’m not understanding the situation in it’s totality, but the married guys know this to be true. I’m not saying to be a completely pussy whipped bitch, but you have to pick your battles with your wife, just like anything else.

I also have no idea if my test levels are high or low, but I will say that even has a kid, I’ve always been assertive, blunt and used controlled aggression and have always caught slack as a result. Growing up I was always told that I should have more than 1 tool in my toolbox, that I only knew how to use the sledgehammer and should learn how to use the screwdriver as well, haha.

Not bad advice really as there’s nothing wrong with growing/changing as you age but everyone’s always done their best to try and passify me when they perceive me as angry, when in actuality it’s just energy/passion.

Another thing, back home (I come from a small island community) the women seem to appreciate their men more. You know, for being able to fix things, for working a blue collar job and taking care of his family. Since I moved to the city, I’ve noticed women look at me weird after they ask what I’ve done up to this point in regards to work. Also, I somehow managed to insult every single person at a party here when I got a little too drunk. That’s a first even for me. lol

I see a lot of guys in their 20’s who seem to think their time in college will simply reward them with some dream job…almost as if it comes as a package deal. It seems to be a foreign concept just how difficult the real world is lately and just how bad ass your resume has to be to compete.
[/quote]

I heard a news story on the radio the other day about a group of law students (in new York I believe?) that graduated and couldn’t find jobs… So they sued their school!!! WTF?!?

[quote]gregron wrote:
I’m all for being a “manly man” (as if you couldnt tell by my mustache thread) but there is nothing wrong with putting you wife/fiancé/whatever’s feelings/needs/wants ahead of your own sometimes. A relationship is give and take.

[/quote]

Also as long as she is making sammiches. :slight_smile:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]

I do agree with this. There is a balance. Sometimes the balance has less to do with the “portions” being equal, than possessing the very opposite requisite of your significant other.

For example, my wife thrives upon my sensitivity to her daily needs and concerns, yet she admits she wants me to be a rock when she feels her most vulnerable to a particular situation (which means she doesn’t want to see me expressing weakness).
All good by me.

[quote]gregron wrote:
I’m all for being a “manly man” (as if you couldnt tell by my mustache thread) but there is nothing wrong with putting you wife/fiancÃ?©/whatever’s feelings/needs/wants ahead of your own sometimes. A relationship is give and take.

[/quote]

You’re right.

I am the type who has a problem with the idea of a guy who rides a motorcycle, hangs out and is the type to be there for his friends when they need him…suddenly selling his bike, not going out at all, and basically turning into a new pet who won’t answer phone calls after 5pm.

There is compromise and there is controlled. I don’t think most men in this country are just “compromising” anymore. I think it is now accepted for your girl to have the real control in the relationship…just to make her happy.

I hear all of the time that the goal is to make them happy so they will be quiet. That’s retarded. You’ve lost when that happens.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]

That’s just it. Being a strong man is putting others first. It’s working hard to provide for your family or risking your life for your kid.

There is nothing inherently selfish about masculinity.

Think Russel Crowe in Cinderella man.

As strong and manly as they come. INCLUDING heaping servings of honor, love, family, courage, humility, est.

That is masculinity. That’s being a man.

EDIT: I wrote up a big response but it didnt post… Oh well.

X… What you’re taking about is what we in the hood like to call “being whipped.” that ain’t cool.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
I’m all for being a “manly man” (as if you couldnt tell by my mustache thread) but there is nothing wrong with putting you wife/fiancÃ??Ã?©/whatever’s feelings/needs/wants ahead of your own sometimes. A relationship is give and take.

[/quote]

That’s just it. Being a strong man is putting others first. It’s working hard to provide for your family or risking your life for your kid.

There is nothing inherently selfish about masculinity.

Think Russel Crowe in Cinderella man.

As strong and manly as they come. INCLUDING heaping servings of honor, love, family, courage, humility, est.

That is masculinity. That’s being a man.[/quote]

But the argument is now that these are traits of a “general good person”…and not related to masculinity at all…which means you immediately destroy any concept of there even being anything truly positive about being male…as if traditional traits are to be subdued suddenly.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

LOL. Didn’t know this was a catholic argument.

I just want to be able to be myself in public without people acting like any sign of even the slightest bit of being upset is now socially unacceptable.

People are more passive aggressive now…which is not better. It just plays more games because people are sue happy.

Lawyers have no gripes about defending the whiniest people in society…therefore, the whiniest people set the standards.

[/quote]

I wish it wasn’t, but yeah for awhile we’ve been trying to tell people that…yes, men and women are different and stop trying to act like they are not, you’re only hurting yourselves.

But we get told to shut up, we’re misogynistic, &c. But I’m glad it has moved from just out of the Catholic Church to the rest of the world and that others are seeing that really man and woman are two different things that act two different ways. To ignore that causes serious issues.

I feel you. I rarely raise my voice, but when I do it’s all eyes on the “crazy” man and I must be drunk, or must hate women or something. Heaven forbid that I want to have a drink (real drink not something sweeter than a birthday cake), or smoke a cigar, or talk about cars and motorcycles, or play poker because it doesn’t seem like guys do any of that any more and a hundred other things guys used to do.

The last time I had a fishing partner was when my father didn’t have his metal knee, none of my friends in this town even know how to tie a knot to actually fish. [/quote]

Amen.

Very tough thing to pinpoint because everyone has a different view of what masculine is.

all I know is Athletes are far bigger, stronger, and faster than ever before, People are smarter and better educated than ever before, and men still dominate society imo. we are gonna be fine.

[quote]TommyGunz32 wrote:
Very tough thing to pinpoint because everyone has a different view of what masculine is.

all I know is Athletes are far bigger, stronger, and faster than ever before, People are smarter and better educated than ever before, and men still dominate society imo. we are gonna be fine. [/quote]

Optimism is masculine.