ModerateStrengths Log 24Y/O Tryna Do It Right Finally

Hi like the idea of making your own routine, and I’m all in to that. I like to do that myself.

If I may throw in my 2 cents here, well you can’t stop me now :slight_smile:
Try to look at a push pull routine 4 days a week
day 1 and 3 work on the squat as a start, goblet, front, back, split squats
then one for chest like Bench, BB, DB, flat/incline, 4-6 rep range, another chest 10-12 rep
one shoulder exercise
one triceps exercise
Ab/core

day 2 and 4 work on your deadlift, romanian, try standing on blocks so you can hold a KB between the legs.
Then heavy rows/pull ups followed by another back exercise for reps.
one for the rear delt
one for the biceps.
Ab core

You could do some A - B routine full body
A squat, hinge, push pattern, pull patttern, arms, Abs
B another Squat, hinge, push, pull, arms, Abs

Do it every other day. In the rest days, do some light conditioning like walks or bikerides that does not stress the body.

If your first priority is to loose weight, make that number one priority. And while loosing weight, you will loose strength and muscle at least some of it.

Keep track on nutrition, every single day. Monitor the weight nice and slow drop in weight.

2 Likes

Excited to see where this all goes now! I’m glad that you have figured out what you want out of your workouts. For me it is a 3plate bench before I turn 50. Currently 43 so time is clicking. When I started lifting I knew what I wanted but I had no one to give advice. I was just a non muscular twerp that could bench 95lbs for 10-15 reps. Currently (6 months later) I can get 195 for 7 reps. I’m getting closer every time I go to the gym.

But I keep my goal in focus and diet on point.

Train like a beast, eat like an animal, sleep like a dove.

2 Likes

Heck yeah, I’m excited for you, @moderatestrength! I prefer to make my own programs too; even when I use a pre-written workout, I can’t help but tweak and tweak some more. For me, that’s part of the enjoyment.

2 Likes

@mortdk @TriednTrue @losthog Once again thanks for all the tips, I’m excited to revise my routine and will definetely be working on it later tonight when I get some down time. I Hit my Chest&Tris today and kept everything in mind while doing so… todays workout went as following:

Flat BB Bench: 1x5 @205 and 2x6 @195 80% is 204 but 195 felt better and the form was more intact for me. I figured better form at 195 was better than sacrificing the last rep at 205.
Incline Db press: 1x8 @ 60 and 2x8 @ 65s
Peck Deck (Cables were crowded the whole time at the gym so went with the deck)
3x12 @ 145
Weighted Dips (15lbs): 3x6
Skull Crushers: 3x8 @72lbs (I was told the bar is 22 by one of the guys at the gym, seems like a odd weight lol)
Cable pushdowns: 3x12 (not sure on the weight forgot to log it in my phone being as I was in a rush to get to the airport had to pick up a co-worker)

I did 10 mins of LISS before my workout to get my blood pumping a little and planned on doing some HIIT after my workout but like I said had to get to the airport.

2 Likes

Bw this morning 206.8

-Meal one: 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 3 large eggs, .5 oz cheese, 1 scoop Protein
-Hit the gym after and followed it with meal 2: 3 tbsp PB on 2 slices bread and 1.5 cups of milk, 1 Scoop Protein
-Meal 3: Chicken in fajita seasoning mixed vegg, 1 cup rice
-Meal 4: Same as Meal 3
-Ill have Meal 5 at about 1 A.M which will consist of 1 slice of bread and 2 eggs
-asleep by about 5 A.M

Calories for today 2110, 206p,177c,68f

Also I’d like to incorporate DL in my workout on Back Day, I have disgusting form with traditional DL and was wondering if Sumo is just as effective or if I should just practice my form more?

1 Like

I’m interested in learning sumo. For me I will keep the conventional and add sumo as an assistance exercise because I will work it light to learn form.

1 Like

I’ll probably just keep practicing Conventional and see if I can get the hang of it. Sumo just feels so much better to me.

1 Like

@TriednTrue @mortdk @losthog

Alright guys, I’ve updated my Original Post and feel really good about the amount of volume it currently has. I’ve incorporated Core to end each workout as it seems to be ok on a daily basis from my research. I’ve added in cardio on a daily basis whether it be HIIT or LISS. I also put the dreaded Deadlifts in as I desperately need them in my routine. I feel like this one is much better than the previous and if there are any flaws please be sure to let me know. Every body part has a minimum of 2 workouts one, more geared to size and strength in the rep scheme of 5-6 and the accessory work in the higher rep range. Anticipating your responses :blush:

2 Likes

Looks really solid. My next thought is how will this program progress from cycle to cycle? What timing block will determine your progression? Intensity or volume progression? When will you deload?

I’ll give a more thorough response in the near future. For now, much better!! The day 1 chest and triceps is solid. Squatting and deadlifting twice a week though seems overkill. On the whole, solid. I’ll give more specific feedback soon.

1 Like

Looking better.
For me, might be because I’m old, it’s still A LOT of volume, And it’s 6 days a week.
But it’s your program, you made it, you know your body, so go ahead try it out.
Still if your main goal is to loose weight, you’ll be in a deficit. With all that volume you might end up using muscles as fuel.
But try it out, if it works it good. That looks like a decent program on a surplus.
And ditch one deadlift session. They are really hard to recover from. Two squatsessions would be fine, one working on technique the other a bit more challeging, still with good technique.

1 Like

He is 24. They can do more than we can @mortdk

@TriednTrue squats can be done 2-3 times a week and a great response with growth will happen. Deadlift 2x if done @60% on the second workout and relative low working sets would not be a big deal. If it is a double heavy session then yeah too much. For me I would do rack pulls, deficits, from blocks, paused, snatches, RDLs some variation on that second DL day.

2 Likes

@losthog

Being as I’m in a deficit I’m going to try and increase weight slightly from cycle to cycle, but in all honesty maintaing strength is the number 1 priority. Being as I’m new to legs im anticipating growth in that area. Once I lose some more Body fat I plan on going on a cleaner bulk in a surplus. I’ll probably continue running this program and should see good gains being in my surplus. I need to put some thought into the deload side of things.

1 Like

Looking forward to your feedback, I think I’ll focus more on Depth with lighter weights my second day, and more on form for conventional DL my second DL day or might do away with the second DL day all together. How do you feel about my seated BB press at 80% two times a week should I look into that as well?

1 Like

I’m seriously considering dropping 1 DL day or maybe going lighter the second day to focus on form. I think I’m going to go heavy on squats one day and then focus on depth and form at a lighter weight on my second day. I’m gonna make some changes once again lol and run that for a couple weeks, see how I respond and then re-evaluate.

3 Likes

Today has been a little hectic, I was catching a co-worker up last night when I got off work until almost 6:30 A.M. As for my Work-out today:

-Squats (finally got away from the smith machine lol): 3x6 @ 155,175,175
-Leg Press: 3x8 @ 6 plates, 8 plates, 8 plates Not sure the weight of the sled itself.
-Ham Curls: 3x12 @ 115
-BB Curls: 3x8 @ 85,75,75
-Seated Alt DB curls: 4x10 40s

Leg raises: 5x12
HIIT: 12 mins alternating 1.5 mins walking 30 seconds just below a sprint

2 Likes

BW this morning: 206.4
Nutriton:
Meal 1: 3 slices turkey bacon, 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bread half slice of cheese.
Meal 2: 2 scoops Protein
Meal 3: 8oz of 93% lean hamburger 1 cup of rice, .25 can black beans
Meal 4: same as meal 3
Meal 5: TBD might have a egg sandwich or maybe a tuna sandwich

One of the best things I ever did for my lifts it to leave my ego at the door and strip weight off the bar and focus on form over weight. I really watched every you tube tip, trick, example…on form I could find for squat, dead, bench, and overhead press. I work my amramp sets until my form breaks. I try one more rep if my form cannot be held I rack it and I’m done.

It will pay big dividends in the future.

1 Like

Monday looks great. On Tuesday, I like the heavy squats and set/rep scheme. Perhaps add 3 sets of calf raises; for a slight metabolic boost, superset them with leg extensions.