Moderate Rep Calf Advice?

Alrighty, I consider myself fairly average in the strength department, even though that’s my main reason for lifting; I want to compete in powerlifting, and I have a physical job in which a little extra strength can be a lifesaver.

Basically I do full-body every other day, very low volume, basically ramping up to a heavy set on deadlift, bench press, chinups and pause squats; I squat and chin every other day while deadlifting and benching every other workout; although my strength is going up very very well, I feel like I gain size very quickly.

Since I do moderate reps, I never get sore; my dilemma is my calves. I have 27in thighs and 16 inch calves and it’s now beginning to bother me. I am not going to do high reps. Period. I do not enjoy them, and although I know I will eventually adjust to the workload, my work will suffer in the meantime, and that’s something I cannot accept.

I work very very hard and pride myself on my performance, I will not sacrifice a day of sub par work for an inch on my body. If anyone has any reasonable ideas for me I will greatly appreciate it. :slight_smile: Thanks in advance, and yes, I love commas and semicolons.

[quote]DallasV wrote:
I consider myself fairly average in the strength department, even though that’s my main reason for lifting;[/quote]
What are your numbers on the big three?

Also, for reference, roundabout what’s your bodyfat? Just a description, I don’t care about a percentage. At 6’1" and 230, are you on the husky side (like a stereotypical powerlifter belly?) or are you already pretty close to having abs?

Not for nothing, but your profile says you’re an 18-year old musician. Is that old info? What do you do for a living now, firefighter, SWAT, EMT?

If there’s one thing I know about training, it’s that you should definitely avoid doing things you don’t enjoy. That’s the fastest path to guaranteed results.

Dude. Seriously?

If you are 18, you need to understand that lifting is a long-term thing. Learning to pace yourself and adjust priorities in your training (and nutrition) when needed will only benefit you in the years down the road. Especially if you decide to compete. If you want to grow your calves, then take some time (a couple of months) and focus on them to some extent. If you follow a halfway-decent program, you won’t regress at all on your main lifts.

Then you’re actually 100% happy with your calves and there was no need for this thread. Cool beans.

Again, if you get with a good routine, you won’t have to deal with “a day of sub par work”. There have been tons of threads and articles about training calves, most recently here:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/calves_grow_em_big

I think that you misunderstood me. I enjoy lifting, but it’s a hobby; I do it for fun, I’m not a world class athlete. I work two part times as a houseman for a hotel and a residential mover, and play in a band in a bar (semi-permanently) on Thursday and Saturday nights, with one night gigs interspersed where we can get them, and where-ever I can sit in. I don’t have a belly, but I definitely don’t have abs, and don’t want them.

What I meant by sub par work was my moving duties. I really pride myself on consistently being the best and hardest working person on the crew, and I’ve enjoyed a lot of success based on this reputation, and honestly I’d rather give up lifting all-together than stop working at 100% of my capabilities, I see a great future ahead of me in this business. I realize lifting is a long term thing, I really like doing it, and you’re right, I shouldn’t have made this. It was a snap decision on a night that I couldn’t sleep, I’ve never made one of these and thought i’d try it out.

My most recent lifts have been 310x5 in the squat, 275x5 bench, 400x5 deadlift. Thank you for your response.

[quote]DallasV wrote:
I’d rather give up lifting all-together than stop working at 100% of my capabilities[/quote]
Don’t take this the wrong way, but I think you’re being a bit melodramatic.

If you’re on track in a career you’re good at and you enjoy, then 100% of course stick with it and keep that as your priority. But you’re making it sound like you can’t do a few hard sets of calf raises once or twice a week without having to rearrange your entire life.

If you want bigger calves, then train (and eat) to build muscle. If you think you can’t train calves without interfering with your day-to-day work, then you’re going about training calves the wrong way. Some DOMS should be expected at first, sure, but it’s not like you’ll be left crippled and useless for days on end.

I’ve never seen such a dedicated mover.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
I’ve never seen such a dedicated mover.[/quote]

This. Lol.

To the subject:
Well i know a lot of guys here in Denmark that has to with physical challenging working environments and jobs and still lift weights.
They said if it wasn’t for lifting, their jobs would be harder on more physical challenging.
But let me get this right:

You want to be a powerlifter with bigger calves? Well try this kind of training method for your calves:

Your calves experience a huge amount of physical load everyday ( like 10000 steps or something ), so doing high reps doesnt do much of course, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do them. So try this:

Any calves exercise:
Full rom (Full natural stretch and push and squeeze at the top of your calf raise) 2x30 reps
Followed by 3x8 heavy full rom

^Try to do this for 2 calves exercises.

Who knows if it helps you grow some inches 'round them calves, but it works great for me tho. Great pump and good development + an alright diet.