T Nation

Moderate Alcohol Consumption?

There have been quite a few health benefits linked to moderate (1-2 drinks per day) alcohol consumption, with the most significant and well-established being the cardiovascular benefits. However, it is also fairly well-known that alcohol consumption reduces serum testosterone levels as well (although there have some studies that suggest the opposite).

Does anyone know if moderate alcohol consumption inhibits test levels to any appreciable degree?

bodybuildingpro.com/drinkbeerworkout.html

Read that ages ago, found it to be an interesting read.

I can’t get past the fact that alcohol is 100% empty calories.

If you can do it in moderation I’m sure it isn’t that bad, but I don’t find the rewards to out weigh the shit points of drinking.

People have gotten use to the fact that I’ll sip water all night long at a party…

[quote]Sklander wrote:

If you can do it in moderation I’m sure it isn’t that bad, but I don’t find the rewards to out weigh the shit points of drinking.

People have gotten use to the fact that I’ll sip water all night long at a party…[/quote]

I’m not talking about partying, but the benefits of 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day is enormous.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
Sklander wrote:

People have gotten use to the fact that I’ll sip water all night long at a party…

I’m not talking about partying, but the benefits of 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day is enormous.[/quote]

It is?

[quote]Fiction wrote:
Sklander wrote:

I’m not talking about partying, but the benefits of 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day is enormous.[/quote]

Probably in one or two regards, but the whole picture?

2 glasses of wine is how many carbs?

I’ll keep to one night a week, and not get shitfaced when I do it.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Fiction wrote:
Sklander wrote:

I’m not talking about partying, but the benefits of 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day is enormous.

It is?[/quote]

As far as I know, only the consumption of red wine shows any benefits significant enough to even consider consuming alcohol for health reasons.

Moderate drinking definitely won’t negate all your bodybuilding efforts. Strictly from the perspective of enhancing your physique, though, I’d say you’re better off without alcohol.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
It is?[/quote]

Yes. It is well established that moderate alcohol consumption can reduce LDL levels and atherosclerosis, and there is a large amount of evidence that it provides other cardiovascular benefits from improving angina pectoris to peripheral artery disease. There is further evidence that moderate alcohol consumption can lead to decreased risk of Alzheimer’s, rheumatoid arthritis, type 2 diabetes, and osteoporosis.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Probably in one or two regards, but the whole picture?[/quote]

Yes. As you can see above.

About two grams for dry red (which is what I drink) according to http://www.weightlossforall.com/carbohydrates-wine.htm

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
As far as I know, only the consumption of red wine shows any benefits significant enough to even consider consuming alcohol for health reasons.[/quote]

Red wine does seem to have slightly superior effects over other alcoholic drinks, but it appears that most of the effects are due simply to alcohol consumption rather than specifically to wine.

If the health benefits of moderate alcohol consumption are even half of what they are purported to be, I will sacrifice some of my physique for the health benefits.

I even read an article that most of your darker beers showed about as many health benefits as red wine because of the hops and grains used in brewing.

And yes, alcohol itself (1-2 drinks) is shown to lower LDL, but more importantly it’s about the only thing you can do to raise your HDL. That means you could take a shot of vodka each night and it would be good for you.

I think that alcohol is one of those things that gets demonized because most people abuse it. Are oranges bad for you? No, unless you go and eat and 12 or 6 pack of oranges in a night, then it’s excessive.

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2007/11/08/beer_as_a_post_workout_drink.php

For another interesting read.

Funny to me that alcohol gets bashed so quickly on this forum and yet I see hundreds of post talking the benefits of weed. Anyway that is a side note.

You can get the same heart health benefits that you get from red wine from drinking red grape juice. I think though and most will agree that the alcohol, whether it be beer, whiskey, etc or wine, most benificial health benefit is the mental destresser. That alone will help you drop a few pounds if you can use a beer or TWO, not 22 or the “what the fuck happened last nite?”.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
more importantly it’s about the only thing you can do to raise your HDL[/quote]

Let’s not go that far… I would expect that replacing carbs in the diet with fat (at least, monounsaturated or saturated fat) would have a much greater effect (on triglycerides, as well), and I’ve heard a lot of good things about vitamin D here:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/hdl-and-vitamin-d.html

[quote]bimmerczech wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
more importantly it’s about the only thing you can do to raise your HDL

Let’s not go that far… I would expect that replacing carbs in the diet with fat (at least, monounsaturated or saturated fat) would have a much greater effect (on triglycerides, as well), and I’ve heard a lot of good things about vitamin D here:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/hdl-and-vitamin-d.html

[/quote]

According to my doctor, and my personal experience, Fat intake has a significant impact on LDL levels and almost no impact on HDL levels. I’d never heard of the vitamin D thing, I may have to give it a try. Certain forms of B6 (niacin) are supposed to help HDL also, but they make me flush almost every time I take it.