T Nation

Mocked for Doing Face Pulls and Seated Power Cleans

To cut a long story short I had the piss taken out of me for doing face pulls and seated power cleans… and from the biggest guy in the gym. I did these exercises in addition to usual shrugs, rows, deadlifts and pull ups.

Ofcourse I have to respect his opinion on training because he’s twice the size of me, but he didnt know about anatomy because he said I could replace the db power cleans with front raises, face pulls with rows and dip shrugs with normal shrugs. Obviously I argued my point but it doesnt mean much to the other guy when he is about 50lbs heavier.

So what do you think am I training properly?

Are you getting bigger? Does your back feel and function in a healthy way?

Face pulls should basically be a warm up imo. Dip Shrugs? You are doing those to work your lower traps I assume? If so another warm up or finisher exercise.

The exercises he mentions are core or base exercises that should make up the core of your training. Shrugs (most people don’t need them), rows, deadlifts, pullups those are the basics of training what you focus most on. You don’t want to do all “pre-hab” exercises as the basis of your training…

Does this make sense?

Are you asking if face pulls are a valid exercise? They are…

I can’t judge your training because I don’t really know anything about it.

[quote]Free2Be wrote:
You don’t want to do all “pre-hab” exercises as the basis of your training…[/quote]

It’s not the basis. Usually back day is deadlifts, rows, some face pulls, pull ups, t-bar rows, shrugs(when i have time), rear delt on the fly machine, then dip shrugs and seated power clean.

I personally think that face pulls are a very underrated exercise. I don’t know about the others. As long as you do core lifts (e.g. deads, t-bar rows, etc), I don’t think that secondary exercise selection is worth fighting over.

its strange because he is kind of right then kind of wrong. BEcause your doing good lifts that work certain sections of the bigger muscles. Yanno rows back, facepulls upper back…etc…I do see where he would say raises for the seated clean because i always thought a clean was all hips, and sitting takes them out.

face pulls are great for shoulder health, and I do them all the time. the guy in your gym must not care for exercises that don’t help his huge ego.

lol @ seated power cleans.

DeFranco’s DVD was sweet but that shit had me looking around wondering what the fuck was going on.

Face pulls have done wonders for me for eliminating shoulder pain while benching.

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
its strange because he is kind of right then kind of wrong. BEcause your doing good lifts that work certain sections of the bigger muscles. Yanno rows back, facepulls upper back…etc…I do see where he would say raises for the seated clean because i always thought a clean was all hips, and sitting takes them out.[/quote]

Here is a video of the db seated clean, it’s hitting the rotator cuff.

I dont have a problem criticising I how workout, I do it myself all the time, but this was a pretty harsh ribbing.

I suppose if you’re doing stuff that is different then you have to have some results to back it up. And I am a pretty competitive guy- this has basically thrown down the gauntlet to me. It’s high time I get my food, sleep and attitude in order so even if they question the techniques they wont be able to question the results.

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:
lol @ seated power cleans.

DeFranco’s DVD was sweet but that shit had me looking around wondering what the fuck was going on. [/quote]

lol well it has a stupid name more than anything, the guy asked me what it was called I just thought to myself fuck it and said I didnt know. lol.

What rep range should be used when doing face pulls and seated cleans if the goal is to keep the shoulders healthy?

[quote]Raided wrote:
To cut a long story short I had the piss taken out of me for doing face pulls and seated power cleans… and from the biggest guy in the gym. I did these exercises in addition to usual shrugs, rows, deadlifts and pull ups.

Ofcourse I have to respect his opinion on training because he’s twice the size of me, but he didnt know about anatomy because he said I could replace the db power cleans with front raises, face pulls with rows and dip shrugs with normal shrugs. Obviously I argued my point but it doesnt mean much to the other guy when he is about 50lbs heavier.

So what do you think am I training properly?[/quote]

You’re training properly, and you made a big mistake of arguing. Here’s a famous quote from Dale Carnegie:

A man who is forced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

Stirring an argument is like telling a wife/GF that she’s fat… Yes, it’s that bad!

Listen to the biggest guys in your gym, but not blindly.

There are plenty of really big guys who do face-pulls. They just aren’t in your gym.

i do face pulls. i like them, i like to do them on the lat pulldown.

if anyone said shit to me for doing them id laugh at them, even if they were bigger than me.

I do facepulls, they are one of my favorite exercises.

People look at me like i’m roasting dead pidgeons when I do them, but whatever, i don’t care.
A LOT of people in my gym are bigger than me, but that doesn’t mean I’ll do their exercises.

yea you are training correct. those movements are important for the shoulders. just because the guy is bigger than you dont mean he is right. tell him to go shit in his hat and wear it…

If someone questions your exercise selection, go back to why you included them in the first place. If you have a valid reason, a rationale for puting that exercise in for “your” program, then to hell with what anyone else thinks. If they question you and you honestly don’t know “why” you are doing it- then you need to do some thinking.

Who cares if he’s bigger? My best buddy is 6’8" he’s bigger than everyone I know- but he asks for advice regarding workouts and injuries- cause genetics don’t give you knowledge. Respect someone’s opinion on training when you know about thier training and knowlege and experience- not only if they are bigger than you.

I can see why he would say that. If your following a pre-written program then those exercises are included for a reason, and you may or may not know why.

Maybe he was giving advice because he thought you were just another dumbass at the gym, not necessarily mocking you.

Lol…I’d like him to come say shit to me and my team when we do face pulls on just about every heavy bench day.

It would be funny for him to get schooled by 165er who’s an anatomy FREAK. The kid also has a total of around 1600 at 165lb bodyweight, life long clean.

It’s situations like that, that give me a jaded view of bodybuilders in general. As was previously stated before in this thread…they hate doing exercises that do nothing for their ego. Keep doing face pulls. You will have healthier shoulders for it and in turn will be stronger.