Mock Meets Setup

I personally think a mock meet is very useful provided done correctly!

In otherwords, not really a mock meet, but a ‘skills evaluation’. In otherwords, let’s say you are training with 70-80% most of the time OR you are training westside and while percentages are high, lifts are varied. There is nothing wrong with doing a training session that involves doing 9 attempts but making them conservatie and very strict. Say something like 84% 89% 94% for the 3 attempts.

This doesn’t result in losing weeks of training and can still give you a chance to get under heavy weights but still move with good speed and form. Now guys like Tuscherer somehow does like 100% max and does it 3 times in one week?!?!?!? Still puzzles me, but in general he puzzles me.

Anyways, my advice to OP: THE MEET MATTERS 2801320193 x more… Soooo, using 3 comp lifts for hgih % as a training session is fine, but don’t be going 105% all out. This works well for me. The russian teams top deadlift is 6-8 weeks out and top squat 4-6 weeks out with 4 week taper. 8 weeks out is plenty of time IMO.

^ i believe arramzy said it best. There really is nothing more needed to be said at this point, especially since the op has yet to respond to any of this. Hes probably gettin his mushroom tip stroked while we are over here debating the details of his training.

[quote]@JC_Tree_Trunks wrote:

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

To the people saying that its too close to meet time, seriously? There would be absolutely no point in running a mock meet more than 2 months out. The whole point is to know what to shoot for, what weights to open with ect. Especially at his age, if he did a mock meet 5 months out, the weights wouldnt compare in any way and it would be not helpful for the specific meet.

[/quote]

How many meets have you done? Meets absolutely cut into training and take it’s toll on you.

Further, you should be able to determine openers from your training. Write things down, look for trends. Don’t just be a guy that lifts weight, learn your body and how things react to the lifts and if you lift X lbs in one lift you’ll be able to get Y lbs in your competition lift.

Find your openers in training, not by running a mock meet. Not that hard, you work up to something you can do 3-5 times on a bad day and make it your opener. That way you don’t end up having your best lifts in the gym, and you do them on the platform, where it actually matters. Learn to listen to your body and figure out what an opener should feel and look like.[/quote]

He will not get the most out of his lifts if he does not know where his maxes are. And that would be a waste of a first attempt if he could rep it out, thats just stupid
[/quote]

Openers should be easy. Something that is confidence building, something that you can hit on your worst day for a triple at the least. Something to get you in the meet.

Again, how many meets have you done?

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:

[quote]critietaeta wrote:
Mike Tuchscherer does a mock meet 26 days out from a meet… so it’s not that ridiculous of an idea. It looks like he’s even going close to failure on the 3rd lifts.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/22560

Edit: ok i kind of confused myself. Does 26 days out mean 26 days leading up to a meet or 26 after the meet?[/quote]

I was about to say. Arguably the best raw lifter in the world does them pretty often so it can’t be that bad of an idea. [/quote]

Do you have the recovery abilities and the experience/knowledge and how it effects your body to do that just like he does, one of the best raw lifters in the world? Chances are, no, you don’t. Sure it’s something to try but definitely not as a novice. As a novice you run a mock meet and guess what happens. You have a chance of shattering your confidence in a meet. You find your opener in your mock meet, and then maybe you go do that or something a little heavier for your opener in the real meet, where it actually counts, and guess what, maybe it feels super heavy that day. You start to freak out because it feels heavier than you remember it and you start losing confidence and then it becomes a downward spiral. Until you get more meet experience, actual meet experience, I’d stay away from running your own mock meets so close to an actual meet that counts.[/quote]

I agree with a lot of the points and you’re more experienced then me so I’m not here to bicker but don’t you think that a 14 year old with decent lifts is going to recover much faster than someone squatting/deadlifting in the 800+ lbs range? I know strength is relative but lifts in Mike T’s range definitely beat you up more and require a lot more recovery/work to recover. I do think he’d be better off by just continuing training but maybe he could learn a thing or two from a mock meet. [/quote]

Please do discuss - just because I may have more experience doesn’t mean I know everything by any means, I’ve simply been fortunate enough to have some experiences and train with people who have multiple decades of experience at the highest levels so I feel as though I’ve got a decent perspective is all. Yes a 14 year old with okay lifts is going to recover much faster than someone squatting/deadlifting in the 800+ range.

But also keep in mind, they’re less capable of understanding what their performance means on a given day and be able to translate it into better results, and in my opinion, the more important issue is that a 14 year old is much more susceptible to confidence issues. If he goes and does a mock meet 8 weeks out or so, he may recover from it (though he’s also losing out on valuable training time so close to a meet), but he also runs a high risk of destroying his confidence.

Maybe he doesn’t hit the numbers he wants so he pulls out of the meet. Maybe he hits some good numbers and he then decides “well I can do more at the meet” and he goes out there and over-estimates his lifts and ends up bombing out. Maybe, he does his mock meet, and does it on a real good day but then goes to the meet and isn’t feeling quite as “on” so everything feels super super heavy. He then decides not to go for bigger numbers at the meet or he gets freaked out that what felt easy 8 weeks ago now feels heavy, so he loses his confidence and then bombs out.

Yes these are a lot of “maybes”, but as someone who coaches high school athletes (220 of them) and has coached collegiate as well, I can tell you that confidence is such a paramount factor to success, in particular in lifting for younger athletes that doing anything that could compromise it so close to a meet/race/performance (regardless of sport) is absolutely something you want to avoid.

^ i believe arramzy said it best. There really is nothing more needed to be said at this point, especially since the op has yet to respond to any of this. Hes probably gettin his mushroom tip stroked while we are over here debating the details of his training. [/quote]

LOL

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

^ i believe arramzy said it best. There really is nothing more needed to be said at this point, especially since the op has yet to respond to any of this. Hes probably gettin his mushroom tip stroked while we are over here debating the details of his training. [/quote]

LOL[/quote]
x2

9/10 all the retards got hooked, very well pulled off

@Daraz You never answered the PM i sent you like 4 months ago, ha-ha.

Have you ever been to The Strat in edmonton?? I JUST WANNA KNOW CAUSE MAYBE I KNOW YOU IN REAL LIFE?

If not then let’s just pretend I never said anything, mmkkaay.

Wrong person I live in Calgary (I don’t think I ever had a PM from you)

Thanks for all the points above, I haven’t been on the internet lately so I couldn’t respond. No mushroom tip stroking was done to interfere with this, hahah. Well seeing all the opinions above I think that I will skip this mock meet idea. I running wendler 5 3 1 and this is a deload week so I will just deload and hit it hard as hell on my birthday sunday! I think that I understand what you guys are sayin about the confidence, recovery etc. I think the best thing I can do is finish up this pre meet training and maybe hit acouple singles at like 90% or so in training, but nothing too heavy. Thanks for all the info.

Btw I actually hit a 250 bench the other week in training( paused) which is an unofficial state record for teen 1 181.
And I squatted 350 two months ago. I know that at my first meet I shouldnt worry about this too much, but it is something that is a pretty big deal to me.

[quote]daraz wrote:
Wrong person I live in Calgary (I don’t think I ever had a PM from you)[/quote]

Oh, lame-sauce.

Everrr’body always seems to be from Calgary 'round these parts.

COME OUT FROM YOUR HIDING CORNERS MY EDMONTON FRIENDS!!!

Done hijack.

Carry on…

The strat in Edmonton is a real classy joint

[quote]Davesway wrote:
The strat in Edmonton is a real classy joint[/quote]

HAHAHA I KNOW!!
That’s where I met my child’s father, heh.

Good times…

[quote]Spock81 wrote:

[quote]Davesway wrote:
The strat in Edmonton is a real classy joint[/quote]

HAHAHA I KNOW!!
That’s where I met my child’s father, heh.

Good times…[/quote]

LOL. I’ve been there once. If the crowd that night was any indication, your child’s father probably wears a denim vest, has multiple tattoo’s, and is missing more teeth than he has.

HA!
He was also sportin’ a prison getup for a while there too…

haha