T Nation

Mock Meets Setup

Hello,

Seeing as this is my last week of being 14, I have decided to do a mock meet to see where I am at. I am also 2 months out from my my first meet so it will also give me an Idea of how my training is going. I plan on doing it Wednesday, because that is the day that I will be able to train the longest this week. I am just wondering how you guys usually set up your mock meets. And also how many days afterwards you begin training normal again, and any other comments you have to make in general.

I will post my results later
I am going for 2 state records, the current records are 355 squat, and 245 bench. So we will see how it goes!!

355 squat at age 14 raw? 245 bench! damn thats crazy. I’ve never done a mock meet so i cant help you out with that one, but I just wanted to give you props for those lifts because that is insane

Why not just train going into the meet. A mock meet breaks up your normal training and honestly if you’re doing it right and really going for it you’re training for the next week is going to be reduced. If you decide to deload going into your meet then you lose another week there. That’s 2 weeks of training you could have back. In my opinion just save it for the meet. If you wanted to do a mock meet should have done it at least another 12-16 weeks out. Just my 2 cents.

Agree with LM…no need to do a mock meet this close to the meet…I know at your age, 2 months seems like an eternity away, but it will fly by…there will be many many more 2 month blocks in your lifetime…

I run a mock meet with a friend or 2. One to record, to double check depth, hitching, touch, etc etc. And one to give me the calls/commands. I run all 9 lifts accordingly, 3 for squat first, then 3 for bench and finally 3 for deadlift.

If you wanna break state records OFFICIALLY, go to a meet bro. Find one near you and train for it. I’m hoping to break the APA record in NY for squat soon too. Best of luck to you.

Zerpp - can’t you do that in a normal training session? Train your depth by you know, squatting to depth in training, don’t hitch, and do things just like you would with meet form on your big lifts in training. You do that and guess what, you end up doing it a helluva lot more times then just 9 reps and that way you get to a meet and you’ve done 100’s of reps of your big 3 to competition standards before you ever get to the meet and you don’t have to waste time by doing a mock meet.

Competition takes away from training, it’s just the nature of the beast because you end up needing to peak for it, and on the flipside recover from it. In this sport, it takes time away from training to actually get you strong. That’s why you don’t see people doing meets every week. If meets actually got you strong you’d do a lot more of them.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Zerpp - can’t you do that in a normal training session? Train your depth by you know, squatting to depth in training, don’t hitch, and do things just like you would with meet form on your big lifts in training. You do that and guess what, you end up doing it a helluva lot more times then just 9 reps and that way you get to a meet and you’ve done 100’s of reps of your big 3 to competition standards before you ever get to the meet and you don’t have to waste time by doing a mock meet.

Competition takes away from training, it’s just the nature of the beast because you end up needing to peak for it, and on the flipside recover from it. In this sport, it takes time away from training to actually get you strong. That’s why you don’t see people doing meets every week. If meets actually got you strong you’d do a lot more of them.[/quote]

I live 2 hrs away from any official meets, so it’s fun to run a mock meet to see hypothetically how you would do. I don’t know the OP’s situation but quite a number of people run mock meets periodically, even 1-2 months before just to see how well they’re doing. I understand your point though, but for me it’s nice to get a feeling of how well I’m improving. Being on 5/3/1 we don’t exactly run close to our true 100-110%.

For me, all they do is help see where I’m currently at and have a little fun to boost my motivation.

I think mock meets are not a bad idea. And its not really a waste either, if you do 9 single reps, that a damn good day. I would see it as a sort of powerlifting specific workout to shapren your skills as opposed to training for just strength.

but I think you should consider going to a really small low pressure meet. Thats what I did a couple weeks before nationals, and it helped tremendously. It takes a little getting used to the whole process, squatting facing people, working with the meet schedule, weighin in, ect.

To the people saying that its too close to meet time, seriously? There would be absolutely no point in running a mock meet more than 2 months out. The whole point is to know what to shoot for, what weights to open with ect. Especially at his age, if he did a mock meet 5 months out, the weights wouldnt compare in any way and it would be not helpful for the specific meet.

[quote]@JC_Tree_Trunks wrote:
To the people saying that its too close to meet time, seriously? There would be absolutely no point in running a mock meet more than 2 months out. The whole point is to know what to shoot for, what weights to open with ect. Especially at his age, if he did a mock meet 5 months out, the weights wouldnt compare in any way and it would be not helpful for the specific meet.

[/quote]

How many meets have you done? Meets absolutely cut into training and take it’s toll on you.

Further, you should be able to determine openers from your training. Write things down, look for trends. Don’t just be a guy that lifts weight, learn your body and how things react to the lifts and if you lift X lbs in one lift you’ll be able to get Y lbs in your competition lift.

Find your openers in training, not by running a mock meet. Not that hard, you work up to something you can do 3-5 times on a bad day and make it your opener. That way you don’t end up having your best lifts in the gym, and you do them on the platform, where it actually matters. Learn to listen to your body and figure out what an opener should feel and look like.

The biggest differences between meets and training are pretty hard to duplicate.

• warmups are all fucked up because there are 8-10 guys all using the same equipment (depending on what the venue has available)
  • you have to manage your time so you don’t finish your warmup too early or too late
  • the time between lifts isn’t up to you, it’s determined by the number of people in your flight, how fast they go, how good the loaders are, and whether anyone dumps a lift/gets injured/etc. this is not as big of a deal when you’re lifting raw, but it can mess you up mentally.
  • the adrenaline rush of stepping on the platform is very intense; don’t see how you can mimic it in the gym
  • the judges should be impartial, and judging can vary a great deal depending on the fed

I understand that you want to set records, and that’s great. But your first meet is the best learning experience you’re going to get to prepare you to do that, not doing 9 attempts in the gym with your buddies. Just be conservative with your openers, and get someone to film all of your attempts at the meet to see what they look like.

Mike Tuchscherer does a mock meet 26 days out from a meet… so it’s not that ridiculous of an idea. It looks like he’s even going close to failure on the 3rd lifts.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/22560

Edit: ok i kind of confused myself. Does 26 days out mean 26 days leading up to a meet or 26 after the meet?

[quote]critietaeta wrote:
Mike Tuchscherer does a mock meet 26 days out from a meet… so it’s not that ridiculous of an idea. It looks like he’s even going close to failure on the 3rd lifts.

Edit: ok i kind of confused myself. Does 26 days out mean 26 days leading up to a meet or 26 after the meet?[/quote]

It means 26 days until the meet. I think he is competing in the IPF raw world cup in Stockholm. Mike runs quite a few mock meets throughout the year.

Edit: ok i kind of confused myself. Does 26 days out mean 26 days leading up to a meet or 26 after the meet?[/quote]

I was about to say. Arguably the best raw lifter in the world does them pretty often so it can’t be that bad of an idea.

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:

I was about to say. Arguably the best raw lifter in the world does them pretty often so it can’t be that bad of an idea. [/quote]

Do you have the recovery abilities and the experience/knowledge and how it effects your body to do that just like he does, one of the best raw lifters in the world? Chances are, no, you don’t. Sure it’s something to try but definitely not as a novice. As a novice you run a mock meet and guess what happens. You have a chance of shattering your confidence in a meet. You find your opener in your mock meet, and then maybe you go do that or something a little heavier for your opener in the real meet, where it actually counts, and guess what, maybe it feels super heavy that day. You start to freak out because it feels heavier than you remember it and you start losing confidence and then it becomes a downward spiral. Until you get more meet experience, actual meet experience, I’d stay away from running your own mock meets so close to an actual meet that counts.

I was about to say. Arguably the best raw lifter in the world does them pretty often so it can’t be that bad of an idea. [/quote]

At the same time I wouldn’t compare the OP to Mike T.

I wouldn’t recommend doing a mock meet. Why? Because you should already know your weak points and be addressing them. If you don’t know your weak points by now, they aren’t going to get a lot stronger in only a few weeks anyways. What’s wrong with working up to around your opener in your regular training? This way you get the confidence of completing the lift, without wrecking your training schedule.

Besides, there is a huge difference between a “meet” lift and a “gym” lift. Some people go crazy and lift weights they can’t do in a gym. Others are intimidated by the spotlight and freak out and leave a lot on the platform. Great “gym lifters” are not always the best “meet lifters”.

Besides dude, it’s your FIRST MEET. Have fun with it. Open up light, and get aggressive on your next attempts.

If the OP has a meet coming up soon I’d just listen to LM and frank. Maxing out really kills you.

Otherwise run it if you want. It’s just gonna be like what? 1-2 weeks out of your training? You’ll learn a bit. 85%+ on 9 lifts in 1 day takes its toll.

Do you have the recovery abilities and the experience/knowledge and how it effects your body to do that just like he does, one of the best raw lifters in the world? Chances are, no, you don’t. Sure it’s something to try but definitely not as a novice. As a novice you run a mock meet and guess what happens. You have a chance of shattering your confidence in a meet. You find your opener in your mock meet, and then maybe you go do that or something a little heavier for your opener in the real meet, where it actually counts, and guess what, maybe it feels super heavy that day. You start to freak out because it feels heavier than you remember it and you start losing confidence and then it becomes a downward spiral. Until you get more meet experience, actual meet experience, I’d stay away from running your own mock meets so close to an actual meet that counts.[/quote]

I agree with a lot of the points and you’re more experienced then me so I’m not here to bicker but don’t you think that a 14 year old with decent lifts is going to recover much faster than someone squatting/deadlifting in the 800+ lbs range? I know strength is relative but lifts in Mike T’s range definitely beat you up more and require a lot more recovery/work to recover. I do think he’d be better off by just continuing training but maybe he could learn a thing or two from a mock meet.

[quote]@JC_Tree_Trunks wrote:

[/quote]

How many meets have you done? Meets absolutely cut into training and take it’s toll on you.

Further, you should be able to determine openers from your training. Write things down, look for trends. Don’t just be a guy that lifts weight, learn your body and how things react to the lifts and if you lift X lbs in one lift you’ll be able to get Y lbs in your competition lift.

Find your openers in training, not by running a mock meet. Not that hard, you work up to something you can do 3-5 times on a bad day and make it your opener. That way you don’t end up having your best lifts in the gym, and you do them on the platform, where it actually matters. Learn to listen to your body and figure out what an opener should feel and look like.[/quote]

He will not get the most out of his lifts if he does not know where his maxes are. And that would be a waste of a first attempt if he could rep it out, thats just stupid

This is all just advice. At the end of the day, the OP will do whatever the FUCK HE WANTS TO DO.

I remember StormTheBeach told me once that if you feel the need to hit your openers in training or go with a mock meet, then you’re not confident in your training or your program. Just a little nugget to nibble on.

CS