Mobile Eating on a Budget

I guess this is fairly related to every single other “IM GOING TO COLLEGE HOW DO I AFFORD TO EAT” type thread.

However my query is a little more specific - Can you guys help me with some ideas for mobile foods on a budget?

Something thats ideally:

1. quick to prepare
  2. requires no (re)heating prior to eating
  3. P+F
  4. costs very little.

I’m already going to be making use of shakes and nuts but some more “real” foods would be nice in there.

How do you feel about cold leftovers?
I have a cooler that I bring with me when I work on base(military) that I pack with protein shakes, fish oil, cold salads with chicken and oilve oil/vinegar in tupperware, protein bars, low carb beef jerky, fully cooked chicken/turkey sausage, mixed nuts and water.

[quote]mustangmarc13 wrote:
How do you feel about cold leftovers?
I have a cooler that I bring with me when I work on base(military) that I pack with protein shakes, fish oil, cold salads with chicken and oilve oil/vinegar in tupperware, protein bars, low carb beef jerky, fully cooked chicken/turkey sausage, mixed nuts and water.[/quote]

Ill be living as a student and generally there won’t be any leftovers from anything! haha but thank you for the suggestions =] Jerky is very expensive in the UK :frowning:

Anyone got any nice and healthy protein/nut bar recipies that are low on the carbs (10g impact max as a rough guide)?

Emphasis really on cheapness and simplicity no more then say 3-4 ingredients tops.

Ive done my fair share of experimenting but have had some hideous results!

I’m on the road a lot and this is what I consume on a daily basis:

-whole grain bread with 100% natural peanut butter and natural strawberry jam (or grape, raspberry, etc…)

-whole milk

-mixed nuts with no salt added

-tuna salad I make(tuna, mayo, peppers: red,green, jalapeno) in a plastic tub that I scoop out of with many triscuits

-apples, bananas

-I don’t know if you have these over in UK, but here’s links to Clif bars and Nature’s Path bars that are all natural and all organic.

http://www.clifbarstore.com/detail/CLF+BUILD+CC

http://www.naturespath.com/products/bars

They taste amazing. for the clif bars go with the mint choco chip. For the other bars, go for the blueberry or the cranberry cherry. They are excellent!!!

But ,dont’ buy them from their site, its a rip off. Not sure if there are any Wegmans by you…but I get mine there for only $12 for a box of 12. $1 a bar is sooo cheap and they are quality ingredients too!

-pumpkin seeds are great too!

-same for canned chicken every once in a while

hope that helps out a little. good luck man. where there’s a will there’s a way.

[quote]ragingbassist wrote:
I’m on the road a lot and this is what I consume on a daily basis:

-whole grain bread with 100% natural peanut butter and natural strawberry jam (or grape, raspberry, etc…)

-whole milk

-mixed nuts with no salt added

-tuna salad I make(tuna, mayo, peppers: red,green, jalapeno) in a plastic tub that I scoop out of with many triscuits

-apples, bananas

-I don’t know if you have these over in UK, but here’s links to Clif bars and Nature’s Path bars that are all natural and all organic.

http://www.clifbarstore.com/detail/CLF+BUILD+CC

http://www.naturespath.com/products/bars

They taste amazing. for the clif bars go with the mint choco chip. For the other bars, go for the blueberry or the cranberry cherry. They are excellent!!!

But ,dont’ buy them from their site, its a rip off. Not sure if there are any Wegmans by you…but I get mine there for only $12 for a box of 12. $1 a bar is sooo cheap and they are quality ingredients too!

-pumpkin seeds are great too!

-same for canned chicken every once in a while

hope that helps out a little. good luck man. where there’s a will there’s a way. [/quote]

Your tuna salad idea is godly! THANK YOU! :smiley:

Grains are something Im pulling out of my diet - I feel and perform so much better without them.

Mixed nuts are something thats definatly goig to be happening regardless - just need to couple those with better protein source really.

Good tips :smiley: