MOAR CLIMATE!

There was a time when two or three climate debates raged on these forums everyday. Now, I can’t find one!

Where have all the tree-huggers and latte-sippers gone? Maybe they’ve got too many trees to hug:

[quote]lucasa wrote:
There was a time when two or three climate debates raged on these forums everyday. Now, I can’t find one!

Where have all the tree-huggers and latte-sippers gone? …[/quote]

Stopped reading after that.

[quote]optheta wrote:

Stopped reading after that.[/quote]

Good. As the ‘scientific consensus’ begins to wake up and realize that unreal dire scenarios and ‘points of no return’ scare tactics were wrong, you can continue to stop reading.

George Carlin on Global Warming and Saving The Planet.
Just Brilliant… Classic.

[quote]lucasa wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

Stopped reading after that.[/quote]

Good. As the ‘scientific consensus’ begins to wake up and realize that unreal dire scenarios and ‘points of no return’ scare tactics were wrong, you can continue to stop reading.
[/quote]

Just as wrong as the people who pretend there is no scientific consensus.

Dude, global warming is SOoooo pre-recession.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

lol, this is exactly true.

People don’t worry so much about then next century when they have to worry about next month’s rent.

Doesn’t change any of the facts though.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

Just as wrong as the people who pretend there is no scientific consensus.[/quote]

B.S. The consensus about climate change is as well defined as the consensus about the U.S. economy. Short of agreeing that a climate exists, it is changing, and that humans may or may not have something to do with it, there is no consensus. Even if there were a consensus, it hardly means anything. Scientific history is so replete with the consensus being wrong, they invented a term for it, paradigm shift.

The stories of doom and gloom that were perpetuated about a warmer planet were wrong and it’s actually all playing out as Knut Angstrom suggested in 1900 (that we burn more fossil fuels and pump CO2 to prevent another ice age). Even if there were a consensus about preventing climate change, there is ZERO consensus about how to do that. The US is no longer the primary emitter, in fact (without Kyoto) U.S. CO2 emissions have dropped to lows not seen in decades. Several papers have been published recently suggesting that we focus on methane rather than CO2, it’s easier to clean up, it pays dividends, it’s a stronger greenhouse gas, and it could forestall some of the predicted warming expected from CO2 and that if we are going to prevent warming, there are many more effective ways to deal with it than limiting CO2.

He makes the point several times in the video that several predictions that were made very recently (he doesn’t say it, but they were supported by consensus) were wrong. He also points out that while conservationism is all well and good, it is the market (with relatively little directed action) that has made the biggest difference and that many of the directed actions the market has been compelled to take actually subverted intrinsic movements that lowered CO2.

You’re attacking straw men that I’ve got nothing to do with. I never made a “doom and gloom” prediction. The consensus I refer to is this one:

1. Industrial man has significantly increased the amount of methane, carbon dioxide, etc. in the Earth’s atmosphere.

2. Methane and carbon dioxide are a greenhouse gasses–i.e., they re-radiate energy that otherwise would have dissipated into space.

No controversy exists around either of those claims. That’s all a reasonable person needs to assume, barring some kind of discovery to the contrary, that industrial development will have an impact on atmospheric ecosystems.

By the way, you’re not disputing this and you’re talking about sensible solutions, so this isn’t an attack on you. I (wrongly) assumed from the outset that you were an absolute denialist of some sort.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

lol, this is exactly true.

People don’t worry so much about then next century when they have to worry about next month’s rent.

Doesn’t change any of the facts though.[/quote]

You’re right, but also wrong.

The new topic for the trendy smart crowd is all of the 99%'er bullshit. Not because climate change has changed, but because it was all talked out and now they have a new more “socially relevant” buzz topic.

WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!![/quote]

To quote George Carlin, “FUCK THE CHILDREN!”.