T Nation

Mo Many Red Blood Cells

im new to this thread, and i know i am supposed to give you a history of myself,[testosterone and winstrol user] but i have to ask. has anyone ever had too many red blood cells, and a high HEMATOCRIT? mine is 60.7. also my platelet count is 60.7. does anyone know what could have caused this?

Freddy, there has been one notable thread on high hematocrit levels, and that was BBB's self-phlebotomy thread. I'm not suggesting you attempt that of course, but I mention it because it's not an unusual problem. AAS do enhance RBC concentrations.

Can you talk freely with your doctor about this?

yes i have and i did donate a pint of blood. but does it help? is there any thing else i can do? AAS do enhance RBC concentrations, any info on this. thanx

Here's a relevant article, I've bolded a couple of key statements.

You might want to do a search on Professional Muscle as well. "Maldorf" had a scary experience.

ed - For anyone interested in a potential explanation of the mechanics of the increased hematocrit levels, this abstract was actually posted their yesterday:

The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 95, No. 10 4743-4747

Testosterone Suppresses Hepcidin in Men: A Potential Mechanism for Testosterone-Induced Erythrocytosis

Eric Bachman, Rui Feng1, Thomas Travison1, Michelle Li, Gordana Olbina, Vaughn Ostland, Jagadish Ulloor, Anqi Zhang, Shehzad Basaria, Tomas Ganz, Mark Westerman and Shalender Bhasin

Department of Medicine (E.C., T.T., S.Ba., S.Bh., M.L., J.U., A.Z.), Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118; Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology (R.F.), University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104; Medicine and Pathology (T.G.), CHS 37-055, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095-1690; and Intrinsic LifeSciences LLC (M.W., G.O., V.O.), La Jolla, California 92037

Context: The mechanisms by which testosterone increases hemoglobin and hematocrit are unknown.

Objective: The aim was to test the hypothesis that testosterone-induced increase in hematocrit is associated with suppression of the iron regulatory peptide hepcidin.

Participants: Healthy younger men (ages 19â??35 yr; n = 53) and older men (ages 59â??75 yr; n = 56) were studied.

Methods: Weekly doses of testosterone enanthate (25, 50, 125, 300, and 600 mg) were administered over 20 wk, whereas endogenous testosterone was suppressed by monthly GnRH agonist administration. Blood and serum parameters from each individual were measured at wk 0, 1, 2, 4, 8, and 20. Longitudinal analyses were performed to examine the relationship between hepcidin, hemoglobin, hematocrit, and testosterone while controlling for potential confounders.

Results: High levels of testosterone markedly suppressed serum hepcidin within 1 wk. Hepcidin suppression in response to testosterone administration was dose-dependent in older men and more pronounced than in young men, and this corresponded to a greater rise in hemoglobin in older men. Serum hepcidin levels at 4 and 8 wk were predictive of change in hematocrit from baseline to peak levels.

Conclusion: Testosterone administration is associated with suppression of serum hepcidin. Greater increases in hematocrit in older men during testosterone therapy are related to greater suppression of hepcidin.

thank you for all the info, it was a great help.

i would still like to ask if mine is really hi for a steroid user, as my Dr is not to familiar w/anabolics.

Whether your doctor knows you use or not. If he can identify and help you lower your hematocrit it would be a good idea. I've heard of lot's of guys with high RBC/hematocrit getting clots. Some died. Incidentally, dbol supposedly lowers red blood cell count and that's why it's bad on cardio. I don't imagine this would make much difference in these kind of cases and I've never heard of a guy doing dbol and getting better but it's interesting because there are not a lot of treatment options for this.

Perhaps monitor your blood and deal with it yourself, like a lot of people on here are doing with their drugs anyways?? Come on, who wants to inject/take pills and cry to a doctor later 'fix me'? If you must, get a doctor to fix you, but this shit is on yourself, or ourselves, or whoever. Like other people have done, go donate blood. Change your drug regiment...