T Nation

MMA?

I see alot of fighers in mma continually get bigger and cut at the same time. Thats not so much of a big deal but...in order to condition for mma..and just train jiu jitsu and shit...its a ton of cardio. How can they possibly gain a significant amount of muscle like that with all the cardio and training they do? Do they all juice?...or alot of them juice? I mean i thought that shit was regulated in UFC...how do they get away with it if they do?

maybe they just eat more?

in UFC the only fights where fighters get tested is in championship fights; and they may be tested when they sign the contract but besides that there isnt much else. The main deterant is 1)ruining cardio with juicing (unless you have access to things like EPO) and 2)letting it ruin your focus. However many of them do use steroids. If you have seen Randy "The Natural" Couture and Chuck Liddell, you have seen 2 examples of non-steroid users, or so im told. Futhermore it shouldnt surprise you to know that many fighters are/were bodybuilders.

in UFC the only fights where fighters get tested is in championship fights; and they may be tested when they sign the contract but besides that there isnt much else. The main deterant is 1)ruining cardio with juicing (unless you have access to things like EPO) and 2)letting it ruin your focus. However many of them do use steroids. If you have seen Randy "The Natural" Couture and Chuck Liddell, you have seen 2 examples of non-steroid users, or so im told. Futhermore it shouldnt surprise you to know that many fighters are/were bodybuilders.

many? who?

Yea, I haven't heard of a lot of upper level MMA athletes being bodybuilders.

I'd have to say, as MMA's popularity increases, so too does the talent pool...and as this happens, we'll probably see bigger, more athletic guys coming in to the upper echelons of the sport. Technique will still be a huge component, but as technique blends, the stronger, faster, more athletic guys will start to dominate. Look at what a monsters GSP and Hughes are in the welterweight division...St. Pierre is very skilled, but damn if it doesn't hurt that he is the fastest and best conditioned in his division.

I know Fedor looks like crap, but damn does he hit hard...I think from light heavyweight down we're going to start seeing some monsters emerge in the next few years...not that there aren't already a bunch of physical beasts there, but I think the progression will make it necessary for all the fighters become more athletic.

It's my understanding that quite a few fighters juice because of the enhanced recovery and increased aggression, not to mention the training and muscle size/power boost.
On another[?] topic, did anybody watch the fights on Spike tv last night? The latin-american guy who fought Silva is built like a fuckin tank. They listed him at 6'1" 236, and thats at the weigh-in.

Phil Baroni for one. He's got a work out video too!(a pretty embarrasing one). IMO increased aggression only works in a street fight if the other guy doesnt know what he is doing. Fighters learn to get pretty good at turning on and off their "switch".
On the spike tv topic, ya that guy was huge... I thought he would win, then again he didnt have to cut anything bc he was in the heavyweight div.

I'm sorry, but having a workout video does not make you a bodybuilder. Baroni wrestled for most of his life, started kickboxing later on, then moved to boxing, and finally settled on MMA. He was never a bodybuilder, though there is a lot of speculation that he did take steroids due to his improved physique.

Jeremy Horn once said in an interview words to the effect that he could count on one hand the number of pro mma fighters that had not used juice at some point! Testing for steroids in mma is either not done or is pretty much a joke; it's a very badly kept "secret" that a majority of the top guys use stuff that would be banned under IOC regulations.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Are you 100% sure about this?

When I trained Judo, a training partner of mine used to compete in bodybuilding competitions with him.

-Machine

Crap, slimjim was wrong, Baroni did compete as a bodybuilder...slimjim is usually never wrong, but slimjim still does not believe that many MMA fighters were bodybuilders. And in his next post, slimjim will no longer be referring to himself in the third person.

yea the guy who fought sylvia...i wanna get just like that guy. The brazilian vale tudo guy right? Because ill prolly fight in AFC during college to get some extra money since i been doin bjj for like 4 years...i wrestle in highschool and i kno a little boxing. But yea...to me bodybuilders of today and even arnolds day are just too big for me. Thats just me tho...i still marvel at the amount of dedication it takes to get that big. But i would prefer being EXACTLY like that cat who fought silvia on ufc. He did lose the fight...but damn does he look fuckin perfect.

HAHAHAHA alright ill let that one go without any rip. What about Mark Coleman? I dont know if you consider him a bb but to get in the olymipic shape he did, imo makes him somewhat of a bb

Coleman and Randleman sure act like bodybuilders, prancing around naked in their hotel rooms while they oil each other up...anyone else see that clip from the Mark Kerr video?

Belfort: look at his body when he destroyed Eastman; then look at how flat he was for his title shot with Couture - when he knew he would be tested. Coincidence?

Look at the weights that Coleman, Kerr and Randleman wrestled at and the way they looked; then take a look at their weights and physicues when fighting mma.

Baroni - obvious juicer.

Matt Hughes, Tim Sylvia - and most of the rest of the Militech Team when it comes down to it.

Steroids are easy to buy in Brazil and a lot of the guys show obvious signs of juice-use - including Vandelei. Arona? Just look at him for goodness sake!

Dont think Pride even tests for steroids?

Look at the new "muscle" guy they trying to build by easy fights, James Colossus Thomson; obvious Gh and steroid freak.

And the smaller shows just dont have the money available to afford tests so betcha most of the fighters there are on something.

Steroids are just a small part of the problem actually. A lot of guys take ephedrine and a variety of painkillers too.

And they say "its a fair fight"?! Whatever!!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Kickboxer, I'll disagree on this one. I've not seen much of this. Many times even a highly trained professional is destroyed by an agressive fighter. Further, our experience will probably never be with highly trained professionals. It's sort of hard to find an opening when a guy's raining strikes on you.