MMA-World Class Strikers?

[quote]Scrappy wrote:
Minotaur is a good boxer. He does not get hit clean while standing against a few decent fighters and lands good shots.
Chuck Liddell is very good with striking. He is a bit unorthodox but elite nonetheless.
Maurice Smith really opened a lot of peoples eyes as one of the first strikers to deal with a major wrestler, Mark Coleman. Smith learned what he needed to survive on the mat and get to his feet where he could score big.[/quote]

I usually agree with your fighting opinions but you lost me there…Liddell? Are you serious? The best that can be said for Liddell is that he has heavy hands and obvious knockout power. But his punches are wide, looping and sloppier than characterizing it as mere “unorthodox”. Someone else said it best in this thread when they said Liddell is kinda a good striker…for a UFC guy. That says it all frankly. Dude, what happened with you on that one? Not enough sleep? Sentimental? LOL :slight_smile:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
What do you guys think happened to Vitor Belfort?

He had the baddest hands in the business and then all of a sudden…[/quote]

Belfort had his boxing debut a little while ago. He just hasn’t got any results. He lost in the GP last year by guilotine to Alistair Overeem. I think the operative word here is “had”. Everybody has been getting better since Belfort made his debut.

Belfort when he was young was amazing and Cro Cop is also great, many people have put Hunt down I don’t know about that he has a great chin and dishes alo tout but isn’t as technical as some of these other fighters mentioned.

[quote]sob440 wrote:
Belfort when he was young was amazing and Cro Cop is also great, many people have put Hunt down I don’t know about that he has a great chin and dishes alo tout but isn’t as technical as some of these other fighters mentioned. [/quote]

Yeah I put Hunt down a notch after Crocop and Lebanner. Hunt’s striking looked much better in K-1.

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Whom do you classify as world class strikers? Names like Schaffa, CroCop, Kope, Razor Rob & Bang pop into my head straight away. Kid, Nishijima, Sakara, Pulver & Hunt are all honourable mentions…[/quote]

Mark Hunt is only an honorable mention?

[quote]otoko wrote:
As for the K-1 dvds they have them here in Japan. And they have most of the Pride dvds and Hero’s dvds in the video stores to rent. One of the Gold’s Gyms near my house plays mma 24 hours a day on one of the tvs. No UFC though, just Pride, Shooto, Pancrase, ZST etc. Another of the gyms near my house I have seen alot of the Pride and K-1 guys train. Lifting weights and sparring, they have a full size ring. If you ever go to Japan it would be a good place to see them train.
[/quote]

Where are you in Japan? My girlfriend is going there in a couple of days. Maybe I could get her to pick up some dvds for me.

hahaha…okay, so I thought the same of Liddell as you and everyone for a while. But I watch him quite a bit, over and over and he’s gotten better at landing his big punch, sooner. He is difficult to hit cleanly, and the mma guys trying to hit him are not pro boxer level, but they are very threatening nonetheless as they have more tools. A fighter who is 18-3 with 11 KO’s is a good striker.

CHUCK IS DECEPTIVE. Deceptive reach. Deceptive Power. I think everyone thinks like you do until they face him.

I like Chuck but he’s by no means my favorite guy. Nor do I like to see strikers win. I am a grappler at heart, although I started as a striker myself. I was rooting for Randy and Bustamante whenever they fought Chuck. Rooted for Babalu and Horn too. Though I rooted against Tito… I like to see grappling win.

And I see a lot of fights in person. I’ve been to Pride in Japan, UFC in AC, Vegas and Mohegan sun…I’ve seen a lot of live Chuck and he looks more dominating in person than on TV. It was when I first saw him live in person that I really realized he’s good, just looks weird.

And just as an aside, I have been into this since it started. Not like a lot of guys who are getting into and watched old fights. I’m INTO it. I love the fights and have been going to them live for a while. I also train striking and BJJ regularly. There are many unorthodox boxers out there who are still great.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
Scrappy wrote:
Minotaur is a good boxer. He does not get hit clean while standing against a few decent fighters and lands good shots.
Chuck Liddell is very good with striking. He is a bit unorthodox but elite nonetheless.
Maurice Smith really opened a lot of peoples eyes as one of the first strikers to deal with a major wrestler, Mark Coleman. Smith learned what he needed to survive on the mat and get to his feet where he could score big.

I usually agree with your fighting opinions but you lost me there…Liddell? Are you serious? The best that can be said for Liddell is that he has heavy hands and obvious knockout power. But his punches are wide, looping and sloppier than characterizing it as mere “unorthodox”. Someone else said it best in this thread when they said Liddell is kinda a good striker…for a UFC guy. That says it all frankly. Dude, what happened with you on that one? Not enough sleep? Sentimental? LOL :slight_smile:

[/quote]

[quote]JD430 wrote:
Mark Hunt is only an honorable mention?
[/quote]

lol…

Noguiera (big nog) actually has pretty good striking when he stands. Supposedly at one point he was considering joining the Brazilian Olympic Boxing Team. Belfort has pretty good hands too. He had a pro boxing match not long ago and he totally dominated. 1st round TKO.

Kid Yamamoto (k1 heros) has serious knockout power for a little guy and some quick ass hands. The same can be said of Gomi and Genki Sudo. I’d say Rich Franklin is approaching world class with every fight I see him in.

[quote]Scotacus wrote:
otoko wrote:
As for the K-1 dvds they have them here in Japan. And they have most of the Pride dvds and Hero’s dvds in the video stores to rent. One of the Gold’s Gyms near my house plays mma 24 hours a day on one of the tvs. No UFC though, just Pride, Shooto, Pancrase, ZST etc. Another of the gyms near my house I have seen alot of the Pride and K-1 guys train. Lifting weights and sparring, they have a full size ring. If you ever go to Japan it would be a good place to see them train.

Where are you in Japan? My girlfriend is going there in a couple of days. Maybe I could get her to pick up some dvds for me.
[/quote]

I live Shinagawa-ku which is like saying the Shinagawa district, which is in the Tokyo area. Usually TSUTAYA has both a rental store and a store that sells new dvds. Sometimes BOOK-OFF has some used dvds. Remember in Japan dvds are more expensive than they are in America, if money is an issue. Tsutaya has branches everywhere.

As long as you get to the Tokyo area you should be able to find one. Narita isn’t in Tokyo it is in Chiba. Tokyo is about an hour away by Narita express. Another good place to go is Akihabara. The main place to get electronics.

[quote]otoko wrote:
Scotacus wrote:
otoko wrote:

I live Shinagawa-ku which is like saying the Shinagawa district, which is in the Tokyo area. Usually TSUTAYA has both a rental store and a store that sells new dvds. Sometimes BOOK-OFF has some used dvds. Remember in Japan dvds are more expensive than they are in America, if money is an issue. Tsutaya has branches everywhere.

As long as you get to the Tokyo area you should be able to find one. Narita isn’t in Tokyo it is in Chiba. Tokyo is about an hour away by Narita express. Another good place to go is Akihabara. The main place to get electronics. [/quote]

I dont suppose you would know of a store or area where one can get dvds coded for North American players?

[quote]Scotacus wrote:
otoko wrote:
Scotacus wrote:
otoko wrote:

As long as you get to the Tokyo area you should be able to find one. Narita isn’t in Tokyo it is in Chiba. Tokyo is about an hour away by Narita express. Another good place to go is Akihabara. The main place to get electronics.

I dont suppose you would know of a store or area where one can get dvds coded for North American players? The dvds made in Japan apparently are only playable on Japanese dvd players.[/quote]

Ahhh I don’t know what you could do. Hmmm maybe you would have to get a region-free dvd player. They have those in the states? If not then you would have to buy a Japanese dvd player and an adapter. Or make copies? Which might be complicated.

[quote]Scotacus wrote:
otoko wrote:
Scotacus wrote:
otoko wrote:

I dont suppose you would know of a store or area where one can get dvds coded for North American players? [/quote]

Your best bet would be Akihabara. I hven’t heard of Japanese Pride and K-1 dvds being coded for America though.

How could you guys forget Ray Sefo?
As far as I know, he has the best Knockout ratio in K1.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
How could you guys forget Ray Sefo?
As far as I know, he has the best Knockout ratio in K1.

[/quote]

Sefo has only had one MMA fight that I know of. Not really an MMA fighter, but he’s a fucking dog and punches harder than almost anyone.

Speaking of Ray, he almost decapitated Ruslan this weekend. Poor guy was out cold for almost 2 minutes.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Speaking of Ray, he almost decapitated Ruslan this weekend. Poor guy was out cold for almost 2 minutes.[/quote]

Sefo is very entertaining to watch. On a tangent, I also like the Japanese lady screaming in the background as Ray dishes out the punishment. Pure gold…

Here’s a boxing video of Ray:

Well having a big wrestling background, I have to go with my man Matt Hughes. The man showed his stuff by whooping Gracie’s ass; thank goodness, someone put that man in his place! Anyone with that big of a head needed a good knockout! I didn’t see too much about the UFC on here, guess I’m the younger crowd going for the latest and greatest thing.

Not sure if anyone is watching the ultimate fighter 3 but there is a deaf guy on there that has made it to semi-finals. While he needs a lot of work, I think he could be the next world champion. Not to mention any handicapped guy that has the balls to step in the cage and throw punches with the best of them I have huge amounts of respect for!

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Well having a big wrestling background, I have to go with my man Matt Hughes. The man showed his stuff by whooping Gracie’s ass; thank goodness, someone put that man in his place! Anyone with that big of a head needed a good knockout! I didn’t see too much about the UFC on here, guess I’m the younger crowd going for the latest and greatest thing.

Not sure if anyone is watching the ultimate fighter 3 but there is a deaf guy on there that has made it to semi-finals. While he needs a lot of work, I think he could be the next world champion. Not to mention any handicapped guy that has the balls to step in the cage and throw punches with the best of them I have huge amounts of respect for![/quote]

Um…this is a thread about world class strikers, not wrestlers…

Remmy Bonjaski, Michael Mcdonald (K1)… you wont find many “world class” strikers in mma… thats bc they are world class and many arent interested in ground