MMA Training Hub

This is a good source on Goju-ryu if you want to read more.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
This is a good source on Goju-ryu if you want to read more.

[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I’ll give it a read tomorrow when I’ve got a bit more time.

[quote]Avocado wrote:
You Have to change the lifts around in WS4SB anyhow so looks like WS4SB to me. We can even forego the specifics and call it westside.

What other methodologies have you tried while training MMA?? Waterbury TBT?

-chris[/quote]

When I first started training MMA I did Waterbury’s Hammer Down Strength program. I really liked it.

Aside from that program I’ve toiled around with some total body programs I designed myself. But for the past 6 months or so been using programs from Jason Ferruggia’s e-book on MMA strength and conditioning.

I do 1000 pound leg presses with a 6 inch range of motion while my trainer says I could set the powerlifting world records in one year if I wanted to…

Bwaha. Enough making fun of Hatton. My old schedule looked like:

Sun - Eat things and watch football
Mon - Lift
Tues - Judo
Wed - Conditioning
Thurs - Judo
Fri - Lift
Sat - Judo+conditioning

Each lifting session is as follows:

-Speed/Oly movement
-Upper Body Push
-Upper Body Pull
-Lower Squat
-Lower Pull

On one day I would do upper heavy and lower light, and the other day would be the other way around. So a typical week of sessions might look like:

Day 1:

Power Clean 5x3
SOHP: Work up to 5 RM
BB Row: 5x5
Bulg SS: 3x8
RDL: 3x8

Day 2:
Power Snatch: 4x4
Low Box Squat: Work up to a 3 RM
GHR: 3x12
DB Bench: 3x8
Chin-Ups: 3x8

Your schedule is very similar to mine, Donut. I like your strength workout setup. I might be moving in a similar direction soon.

You’ll have to fill me in on the Hatton joke. Is that something that came up during the Mayweather-Hatton HBO series?

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Your schedule is very similar to mine, Donut. I like your strength workout setup. I might be moving in a similar direction soon.

You’ll have to fill me in on the Hatton joke. Is that something that came up during the Mayweather-Hatton HBO series?[/quote]

Yeah, I was just watching the Mayweather/Hatton 24/7. As much as I defend guys at the top for doing what has worked, I burst into laughter as one scene showed Hatton doing leg press with about 6" of movement, and then his trainer was there saying that if he decided to be a pro powerlifter he would be the champion in less than a year. I guess when you get paid what he does you have to say that.

I don’t have a set scedule because I work 12hr shifts. My workout is based on WS4SB 3. My conditioning is pure Rosstraining and I get in about two days a week of mma. I don’t pick the class I go when I can. Usually at least one grappling day and one open mat day that has hard pad work and some ground stuff.

On bench and squat I alternate high rep low rep days. Bench for instance is floor pressing one set of 25-30 reps on one day and then maybe 8 sets of 3 with a superset of 10 clapping pushups on the other. Squat is the same way but the DE is totally seperate.

At 37 and with bad joints I haven’t had any problems keeping up. I did have an elbow broken though.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

You’ll have to fill me in on the Hatton joke. Is that something that came up during the Mayweather-Hatton HBO series?

Yeah, I was just watching the Mayweather/Hatton 24/7. As much as I defend guys at the top for doing what has worked, I burst into laughter as one scene showed Hatton doing leg press with about 6" of movement, and then his trainer was there saying that if he decided to be a pro powerlifter he would be the champion in less than a year. I guess when you get paid what he does you have to say that.[/quote]

Wow, if that guy was serious, then that is seriously funny.

I need to tinker around on YouTube and other sites and see if I can’t find these 24/7 episodes. I saw, and loved, the De la Hoya-Mayweather 24/7 series. Blew anything the UFC does for their shows out of the water.

[quote]JRT6 wrote:
I don’t have a set scedule because I work 12hr shifts. My workout is based on WS4SB 3. My conditioning is pure Rosstraining and I get in about two days a week of mma. I don’t pick the class I go when I can. Usually at least one grappling day and one open mat day that has hard pad work and some ground stuff.

On bench and squat I alternate high rep low rep days. Bench for instance is floor pressing one set of 25-30 reps on one day and then maybe 8 sets of 3 with a superset of 10 clapping pushups on the other. Squat is the same way but the DE is totally seperate.

At 37 and with bad joints I haven’t had any problems keeping up. I did have an elbow broken though.[/quote]

I don’t know what’s worse: working a 12-hour straight shift, or working a split shift? I work in the mornings at my office, then have a few hours off in the afternoon and then return to work in the late-afternoon/evenings to go out and cover games. It definitely makes getting into a consistent rhythmn with classes difficult when you don’t know when you’ll be working week-to-week.

How long’d that broken elbow take to heal? That couldn’t have been pleasant.

You guys really should check out Ross Enamaits work.

[quote]sjfou wrote:
You guys really should check out Ross Enamaits work.[/quote]

I have all of his manuals, and follow his conditioning programs.

[quote]sjfou wrote:
You guys really should check out Ross Enamaits work.[/quote]

Ross is a freak. I read a lot of his stuff.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
sjfou wrote:
You guys really should check out Ross Enamaits work.

Ross is a freak. I read a lot of his stuff.[/quote]

I love it also. I go on his website constantly… As far as conditioning for fighters goes, I don’t know that there are many better people.

His DVD come out a week ago - $25.

Well, I decided to go back to lifting 2x a week. With my work schedule the way it is, it’s just more practical to lift hard 2x a week and know I can make it on those days, than try and do 3x a week and get to all my classes, with the possibility of having to skip classes/workouts due to work.

So, my new, revised schedule will look like this:

Sun: off
Mon: lift
Tues: BJJ
Wed: conditioning or MMA (depends on work)
Thurs: BJJ
Fri: lift
Sat: BJJ or muay Thai or conditioning (depends on work)

So, with the 2x a week routine, I’m back to doing total body work. It’s very similar to the routine Donut posted the other day.

1. Hang Cleans, 5x3: 155
  2. DB Bench Press, 1x5RM: 85
  3. BB Row, 5x5: 165
  4. DB Split Squat, 3x10: 50
  5. Stiff-legged DL, 3x10: 155

I probably could’ve used more weight on cleans, rows and DL, but didn’t want to take a chance and re-strain my ab, which is feeling 100 percent better.

Took a couple rib shots from the Sensei tonight. My god, trying to block them fucking things is like trying to catch lightening.

I don’t think my left lung works correctly anymore.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:

So, with the 2x a week routine, I’m back to doing total body work. It’s very similar to the routine Donut posted the other day.

1. Hang Cleans, 5x3: 155
  2. DB Bench Press, 1x5RM: 85
  3. BB Row, 5x5: 165
  4. DB Split Squat, 3x10: 50
  5. Stiff-legged DL, 3x10: 155

I probably could’ve used more weight on cleans, rows and DL, but didn’t want to take a chance and re-strain my ab, which is feeling 100 percent better.[/quote]

Cool man, let me know how it works out for you. I picked up on the structure from Grappler’s Gym a few years ago, so I thought I would throw that out there before someone calls me a rip off. Another thing, is that I posted using olympic lifts for the speed movement, but really I rarely used them other than power snatch. I liked using jumps on one day, and push jerks or explosive push-ups on the other.

Donut,
I don’t use much O-lifts, either. I was never properly trained, so I tend to stay away from most of them except for hang cleans. I did learn from a couple of people how to do them, so I like to use them every now and then.

Clap push-ups or any kind of explosive push-up would be a good speed movement for the first exercise. I’ll keep tinkering, I’m sure.

OK, what’s everyone’s thoughts on conditioning? What do you like to do?

Bodyweight circuits?
Sprints?
Circuit-style training?
Strongman medley?

I tend to rotate between bodyweight circuits (Tabatas are a real killer) and sprints for the most part.

A combination of all you’ve mentioned is what we employ at my gym. Our conditioning classes on a thursday will look something like this…

5 min round of boxing
Lifting complex of:
Bent over rows-Upright rows-hang cleans-push press-back squat for reps of 5 of each exercise, 4-3-2-1
sprints/sprawls

rest 30 seconds:

5 min round of boxing with takedowns
Same lifting complex as above just starting at 4-3-2-1
2.30min of sprints on spinning bike

rest 30 seconds:

repeat round 2

rest 30 seconds:

5 min round of ground and pound
lifting complexes
sprints/sprawls

rest 30 seconds:

depending on whether training for a fight or not more rounds will be added in with tire flips and sledgehammers thrown in around the place. Aside from this class all my conditioning comes from doing CrossFit

how about you guys routines? thoughts on ours?