MMA Training Critique

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]selfmade wrote:
Hey guys I just wanted to get a critique on my training. I’ve been getting much more powerful and explosive but I want to make sure I’m not over doing it. I’m currently not taking any MMA classes but I will be very soon and I want to be as prepared for it as I can. I currently teach karate on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays for about 5 hours a night. I also spar for 45 minutes wednesday night after class. Anyway here it is, what do you guys think?

Monday - Squat, Bench, Powerclean, Curls. Then heavy bag and ab work.
Tuesday - Barbell Complex - Rows, Hangclean, OH Press, Good Morning, Lunges, Squat, Deadlift
Wednesday - Sparring
Thursday - Deadlift, OH Press, Towel Pullups, Close Grip Bench. Then heavy bag and ab work.
Friday - Hill Sprints
Saturday - Body Weight Circuit - Clap pushups, Body Weight Rows, Dips, Chins, Leg Raises. Then heavy bag and ab work.
Sunday - OFF[/quote]

what kind of karate do you teach? how long? and how long before you plan on training MMA?

in all honesty, i think the most important thing to develop prior to MMA training is endurance and flexibilty, and not go in injured. i think you’re still gonna gas at first, until you get used to the different style of fighting, but having a solid cardio base will do the most for you. also, BJJ in particular is hard on people with limited mobility, so i’d suggest checking out Youtube for some stretches to do. i stretch 15-30 minutes daily (have for about 15 years), and i find it gives me a lot fo advantages when rolling.

i would suggest a schedule like this:

day 1: long run
day 2: bodyweight circuit
day 3: sprints
day 4: barbell complexs
day 5: off
repeat… and stretch a lot afterwards.

depending on your style of karate, the transition mgiht be easy for you, or it might be harder, since you’ll be used to moving and striking in a different way. i would almost suggest not training until you get in to MMA classes, and just work on the conditioning.

my .02, and good lcuk![/quote]

Doesn’t that seem a little too mixed for there to be good results.[/quote]

i dunno…mainly lactic acid threshold training, along with some cardio…

i did mean to write it like this, though:

day 1: barbell complexs
day 2: sprints
day 3: bodyweight circuit
day 4: long run
day 5: off
repeat… and stretch a lot afterwards.

this way the jog will clear some of the residual soreness…

btw, this is just my opinion, based off some stuff i’ve done, seen others do and programs i’ve seen here and there. don’t take this as gospel, and this is really only a brief program to build anaerobic and aerobic endurance, without adding any real skill or strength training…

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Hey Johnny, weren’t you training Muay Thai back in the day? How are things going?[/quote]

Hey!Yep I fight professionally now.Been busy training and fighting so haven’t posted on here in a long time.Injured my ankle and knee last month so bored and posting on forums more now.
How’s your training/fighting going?[/quote]

Haha good to hear, I’m glad you’re doing your thing. Good luck with those fucking injuries.

My stuff is going pretty well, boxing all the time…good shit.

[quote]selfmade wrote:
^^ Thanks bush, I was really just looking for something like that. But to answer some other questions I teach American Kempo Karate… Yes I know not great for MMA but it at least allows me to stay active and I’m stretching constantly. I am really flexible and can almost do a full strattle and split. I would sign up for classes today if I could, I just need to settle some things financially first. I will be signed up within 2 - 3 weeks though… My next question is once I am signed up (let’s say it’s 2 BJJ and 2 Muay Thai classes per week) how should I continue my training outside of class? Similar to what Bush posted? [/quote]

Dude, if you go from doing Kempo to doing 2 days of MT and 2 days of BJJ, I’d just get used to that workload first.

Lifting is going to wipe you out even more, at least for the first few months

IMO

I think 2 days a week strength training in succession with 5x a week skill work is the best combination.

My routine looks as such (5x5 routine)

Monday
AM:
bench
squat
dead lift
sohp
dips
russian twists

PM:wrestling/bjj

Tuesday:

AM: 2mile ruck march with 5olbs
rope skipping
shadow boxing
sledge hammer on tire 5 sets of 20 (ten each arm)

PM: striking

Wednesday:

AM:active recovery
stretching
body squats
push ups
to loosen the muscles up

MMA- SPARRING/WRESTLING BJJ (EVERYTHING)

Thursday repeat Tuesday’s AM workout
STRIKING in the PM

Friday:
AM:
POWER CLEANS
Dead lifts
Bench Presses

PM:NO GI BJJ

Saturday Sunday completely off
shadowboxing is the only thing I do on these two days

[quote]NGAGE wrote:
IMO

I think 2 days a week strength training in succession with 5x a week skill work is the best combination.

My routine looks as such (5x5 routine)

Monday
AM:
bench
squat
dead lift
sohp
dips
russian twists

PM:wrestling/bjj

Tuesday:

AM: 2mile ruck march with 5olbs
rope skipping
shadow boxing
sledge hammer on tire 5 sets of 20 (ten each arm)

PM: striking

Wednesday:

AM:active recovery
stretching
body squats
push ups
to loosen the muscles up

MMA- SPARRING/WRESTLING BJJ (EVERYTHING)

Thursday repeat Tuesday’s AM workout
STRIKING in the PM

Friday:
AM:
POWER CLEANS
Dead lifts
Bench Presses

PM:NO GI BJJ

Saturday Sunday completely off
shadowboxing is the only thing I do on these two days

[/quote]

really? did you read his post?? who roadmarches 2 miles?..

EDIT: i just re-read you post, and realized that your post in refernece to his training down the road…

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

really? did you read his post?? who roadmarches 2 miles?..[/quote]

Agreed. That 2 mile road march had better be over in 13 minutes or less.

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
You should run more.[/quote]

no, he shouldnt

Yes, he should :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m a professional fighter and I’ve trained with some of the best Muay Thai and MMA fighters and trainers in the world.They have all agreed,running is important.

Check out Joel Jamieson’s site. I also would recommend you get his book. It will show you how to put together a training plan that makes sense.

Its tough for any of us to tell you what to do as we have no clue what your current condtion is. You might be able to last forever but have no strength or vice versa. Joel’s book is one of the best ones I have seen on conditioning for combat sports.

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
I’m a professional fighter and I’ve trained with some of the best Muay Thai and MMA fighters and trainers in the world.They have all agreed,running is important.[/quote]

Kudos, but I just don’t believe in it. It’s like a runner going hard on a heavy bag to become a better runner.

[quote]beermuscleU wrote:

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
I’m a professional fighter and I’ve trained with some of the best Muay Thai and MMA fighters and trainers in the world.They have all agreed,running is important.[/quote]

Kudos, but I just don’t believe in it. It’s like a runner going hard on a heavy bag to become a better runner. [/quote]

Very few coaches are going to tell you not to run. I’m not saying run ten miles a day but I don’t think its really debatable that running is needed.

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:

Would love for you to comment on my running thread.

If you need a coach for running i recommend PHD Kalib Starnes