MMA - Strength Program Suggestions?

I’m a martial artist and I’ve trying to figure out a strength training program. I want to gain muscular strength, not really to much mass. But also want to improve on my cardiovascular system at the sametime.
I?m trying to find how to work both within a 7 day week and give myself time to recover properly so I can gain in both areas.
The strength trying I am doing focuses on full body workouts. Cleans, benching, squats etc…

Any suggestions?

two words : Hammer down (search for it)

Circuit training, to build strength, stamina, and it will also save a lot of time. Barbell complexes and circuit training.

Check our Ross Enamit’s stuff or Crossfit.

In The Gym…I like big movements that start with the weight on the ground and ends with it above my head. Lots of O-Lifts and O-Lift variations with barbells, dumbells, and unilateral loads (ie 1-arm snatch, 1-arm clean and press). Overhead Squats. Turkish Getups (DBs). Thrusters with BB and DB. “The Bear” and Bear variations. Suitcase Deadlifts. Suitcase DL with a twist (see Ross Enamait for this one). I also focus on alot of DB and Cable trunk rotation/flexion exercises. Many of these fall into categories of:

Pull-Twist
Twist-Pull
Pull-Twist-Push
Push-Twist
Twist-Push
If your grab a cable/rope, plant your feet in a static position and use your legs, hips, torso, and arms to move the weight I think you will understand the above listed categories.

At Home… I use heavy punching bags, sandbags, medicine balls, homemade tornado balls, tire sled, big ass rocks, and body weight exercises. The punching bags, sand bags, and rocks make for good odd shaped or transient shaped (shifting sand) objects that can be a bit unruly when picked up. Much like a squirmy sparring partner who doesnt want to be tossed around or pinned.

I don’t reccommend throwing your punching bags, but they make for good bulky objects to pick up and carry. Punching bags make for good rolling partners. Pin the bag on the ground and punch it from the dominate position. Or punch it while your back is on the ground and it holds the elevated position.

[quote]Turner wrote:
I’m a martial artist and I’ve trying to figure out a strength training program. I want to gain muscular strength, not really to much mass. But also want to improve on my cardiovascular system at the sametime.
I?m trying to find how to work both within a 7 day week and give myself time to recover properly so I can gain in both areas.
The strength trying I am doing focuses on full body workouts. Cleans, benching, squats etc…

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

You can focus on the big 3 lifts and then add in other areas that you’d like to improve. I’ve found that lifting 2 times a week is optimal for recovery. As for conditioning, you can always do some combination of barbell complexes, bodyweight circuit, sprints and medicine ball twists/throws. Conditioning training can be done 2-3 times a week.