Collectively bringing together some sources to give some ideas how to structure a program and/or exercises for combat athletes.
Video showcasing Jake Bonacci, strength and conditioning coach from Randy Couture's Xtreme Couture Gym in Vegas.
- Focus on the fighter's weaknesses / what they want to improve on.
- The importance of Olympic, multi-joint, whole body lifting.
- A combination of strength + power + endurance.
- Upper body & lower body days
- Start with an Olympic lift. Follow with a focus/accessory
- Finish off with a muscular endurance upper+lower circuit with 3-4 exercises x 3- 4 rounds, 1 min rest eg. pull-up x 10, split squat x 10, plyometric push-ups x 10
Another example is Georges St. Pierre & Denis Kang's training from their trainer Jonathon Chaimberg.
- Combining a strength exercise with a an explosive movement for power & endurance.
- Tempo: Explode up, control down.
- Strength - A1) Weighted chin ups x 3 + A2) Med ball slams x 6, B1) DB Bench Press x 3 + B2) Med ball pass x 8, 44+" hurdle jumps x 6, TRX inverted rows (vest & feet elevated) x 6, Rope pulls, Landmine Twists, Slide board Adduction
- DB One-leg box squats/pistols, TRX/Ring inverted rows, rope climbs, DB Snatch, DB jump squats
- Weighted pull-ups x 5, Med Ball slams x 8, Olympic bar(s) punch x 20, Side bridges (feet on bench) 5 sec hold x 5, DB lunges x 16 (8 @side), plyometric box alternating push-off (jumps) x 8
- Conditioning - Airdyne, TRX pull ups x 6, Med ball slams x 8, Med ball throw + burpee/sprawl x 6, shadow boxing, rope pulls, spot run + sprawl + jump x 6, Two ladder drills x 2, plyometric push-ups x 8, Airdyne
ADRENALINE PERFORMANCE circuit - "this circuits goal is to be done in 5 minutes to simulate a rd.and can be performed up to 3 times.Beginners just try to complete it without stopping.and add another rd every week or 2"
30 seconds treadmill speed 10mph 15 incline(change speed not incline if its too hard
8 trx inverted rows feet up
8 12lbs medball slams
12 jumping lunges
30 seconds airdyne,or jacobs ladder all out
4 ladder drills for some active rest(or mini hurdle drills----I'll post some ladder drills at www.adrenalineperformancecenter.com
10 kettlebell swings
60 elastic punches
60 elastic pummels(like 1 arm row uppercuts)
finish where you started with 20 seconds on treadmill or bike,or ladder:)
Videos Posted by ADRENALINE PERFORMANCE (sneak peak into DVD):
- Exercises: Hurdle jumps, Open-ups (Gray Cook's primitive patterns), TRX pull-ups (heels elevated), anti-rotary 10 sec. holds (straight arms, stabilize), DB single leg squats/pistols off box(drive off heel), box jumps (from sitting), slide board, rope pulls, hurdles + box, DB single leg deadlift (alternative = counter-balance with one kettlebell
Excerpts from Fitness RX's interview with GSP:
- Med ball push ups, seated cyclone/tornado ball, side bridge, lymphatic drainage massage
Joe DeFranco's take on strength & flexibility exercises for fighters:
A1. 14-inch barbell bench press with chains
A2. Heavy bag straight punches
B1. Chest supported rows or bent-over dumbbell rows
B2. Seated external rotation, elbow on knee
C. Reverse hyperextensions, four sets of ten reps
A. Power snatch OR Box squats with bands (parallel)
B. Barbell reverse lunges
C. Incline, weighted glute-ham raises
D. Standing cable external rotation, elbow at side
DE Lower Body Movement (Jump variation)
ME Upper Body movement
Posterior chain lower body movement
DB press variation
Lat/Upper back superset
Ab circuit (high reps)
ME Lower Body Movement
Rep Upper Body movement (chin-up or push-up variation)
Unilateral lower body movement
Shrug variation super-setted with rear delt movement
Training for Warriors with Martin Rooney (video library):
"Strength Training For Mixed Martial Arts" by Jason Ferruggia (May 2008)
1) Hang Clean- 5 x 3 x 90 seconds rest
2) Squat- 4 x 3 x 120 seconds rest
3A) Chin Up - 2 x 8-10 x 90 seconds rest
3B) Blast Strap or Chain Suspended Pushup- 2 x a.m.a.p. x 90 seconds rest
4) Dumbbell Windmill- 2 x 10-12 x 60 seconds rest
1) Jump Squat- 5 x 6 x 90 seconds rest
2A) 1 Arm Incline Dumbbell Press- 4 x 3 x 90 seconds rest
2B) 1 Arm Dumbbell Row- 3 x 6-8 x 90 seconds rest
3) Sandbag Shouldering- 2 x 10-12 x 90 seconds rest
4) Inchworm- 2 x a.m.a.p. x 90 seconds rest
1) 1 Arm Overhead Kettlebell Throw- 6(per side) x 1 x 30 seconds rest (between throws)
2) Fat Bar Pullup- 4 x 3 x 90 seconds rest
3A) Resisted Pushup- 3 x 8-10 x 90 seconds rest
3B) Sandbag Zercher Squat - 2 x a.m.a.p. in 60 seconds x 90 seconds rest
4) Sledgehammer Swing- 2 x 12-15 x 60
UFC fighter Houston Alexander Workout
Dewey Nielsen's "Impact Performance Training Blog"
"Common Mistakes of a Mixed Martial Artist" (From a strength and conditioning perspective) by Dewey Nielsen