T Nation

MMA Recovery

Alright, I'm starting MMA training in August (gonna be busy before that), and the schedule is pretty rough. I just wanna know some good recovery techniques so I'm not too beat up after each day. My week would go like this:

Monday: 1 hour MMA, 1 hour break/little bit of lifting, hour of kickboxing
Tuesday: 1 hour MMA, 1 hour break/little bit of lifting, hour of muay thai
Wednesday:1 hour MMA, 1 hour kickboxing
Thursday: 2 hours muay thai
Friday: Rest /1 hour kickboxing if I feel up for it
Saturday:1 hour of kickboxing
Sunday: Rest

I just want to be as recovered as possible after each day so I can get up and do it again. =

Before even worrying about recovery,you might want to reassess your training schedule so it can be possible to recover properly. One thing would be separating your lifting sessions and not have them on consecutive days. Just my first observations...I don't know what you do outside of training.

Another thing,why the need for taking kickboxing classes on top of Muay thai classes???

Yeah I'm with boss... Why would you take kickboxing AND muay thai? They're both going to want you to tweak things slightly differently, at least in my experience. Also do you have any wrestling, jiu jitsu, or striking experience prior to this? If not I'm kind of wondering how you're going to cope with an "MMA" class.

Unless that's what they call their basic level ground work class. If it's the blending of your striking, grappling, and submission game, coupled with how to use a cage/ring then you'll be in WAY over your head if you don't have plenty of prior experience in one of the aforementioned fields.

Hey what is the difference between your kickboxing and muay thai classes? Big Boss pretty much has the same question as me lol.
Also for real your going to half ass the classes. If your going to take the class seriosuly and give it your all, you can't "Lift for a bit" and then train kickboxing (unless its fitness kickboxing?) At a high level. You want to be fresh when you learn these motor skills.

Also what are you trying to get out of a "little bit of lifting", you gotta have a plan, or at least something your trying to get out of the lifting. 2x a week a lifting is plenty though..You could get away with 3 sessions, full body if they are short.

But if your not used to this kinda stuff it's gonna be a wake up call not after week 1, nor 2, but the 3rd-4th consecutive week of this temp you WILL feel it. (mentally and physically)
I'd say you go

Monday: 1 hour MMA - Lift
Tuesday - 1 hour MMA - 1 Hour Muay Thai
Wednesday - 1 Hour MMA, 1 Hour Kickboxing (It'd be nice if you can somehow get a strict boxing class in here instead)
Thursday - 2 hours Muay Thai
Friday - Lift
Saturday - Again if you can get your boxing in here that'd be awesome, and then practice kicks/knee's at home.
Sunday - REST

Biggest things for recovery nevermind supplements, nevermind magic pill blah blah blah
How much do you weigh? You gotta make sure you eat enough calories to support all the work your puttin in.

Also big recovery for me is carbs and protein. I'd get 1-1.2g's in a day for lb. of BW.

sleep as you know 8-9 hours, if you can get more perfect. An hour nap durin the day is great too.

Supplments I like BCAA's 20-30g's durin workout for recovery..I found this helped me tremendously for strenous heavy lifting (high volume and high intensity)
Protein powder
Fish oil - I take Flameout
300mg magnesium before bedtime
50mg zinc before bedtime
Get a multivitamin in a day.

This also depends how serious you are..and I'm taking it if your puttin in this much work your pretty serious bout it.
I guess you could take glucosamine too, I'm about to start takin it.
Make sure you get a good postworkout shake with good amount of simple carbs after training.
And then eat a big ass meal after with some type of meat, veggies, and complex carbs.

Last question: What are you doing on lifting days?

I'm just working with what they offer basically haha. Ex:

Monday goes 5:30-6:30 mma, 6:30-7:30 no class, 7:30-8:30 kickboxing.

If i go there for one I might as wel stay for both.

They offer kickboxing 3 times a week, and muay thai twice so I figured I'd just take both

Sorry bout double post.

The plan is basically to build myself a base to work off of, and then specialize. I plan on taking bjj soon as well.

My goal is to compete in amateur MMA fights in like 4-5 years.
I'm 17 years old right now, and 5'10 180 lbs.

Any more advice/input would be really appreciated

hmm....i think that's too much training for you to start off with. not from a recovery standpoint, but more from a skill standpoint. unless you have some sort of base, id' start off with one class per day, and lifting/conditioning after or at a different time.

i think for most people, learning a little at first is a lot easier on you, because you can focus on one thing at a time (and get it right!), and slowly see where your strengths lie. if you do it all, right away, i think you might just end up frustrated, sloppy or injured. also, i agree with rasturai that throwing in some boxing might be nice, as well as some BJJ.

otherwise, i think you could compete at an amateur fight sooner than 4-5 years.

good luck!

Cyco makes a good point. If you try to learn everything at once, I don't think it'll work so good. If you have a base of something it's easier to work off with. Seriosuly for stand up..lots of guys have no hands in MMA so to learn and be very good at boxing will do WONDERS for you. You could essentially practice groundwork at the same time. Boxing will carryover to muay thai very well also, within 1 year you should be able to kick and set up muay thai combinations without thought.
Play with it and see how it feels/how your doing.

Agree with the above. If you are just starting Martial Arts, this is not the way to go about it. You will need to just drill drill drill the basic techniques over and over with correct form so you can develop muscle memory. It takes a while. My recommendation would be to hold off on lifting weights for the moment. Practise martial arts once/day for 4-5 days a week.

I would also say pick one martial arts and develop a strong base in that before mixing it up. Also, start out by running once or twice a week. That should give you a good conditioning base. Take one day completely off.

On another note, it seems from your post that you have joined an MMA gym. Now I can't speak for your gym or any other gyms, but in my experience, these MMA gyms are NOT the place to learn striking. MMA has tipped and EVERYONE wants to become an MMA fighter. It's an excellent opportunity for gyms to make money.

Does your gym have like 50 people in a class, holding mitts for each other and just going back and forth doing all kinds of different combinations without giving you any individual attention or teaching you anything? If so, chances of you learning are slim. This is really not the proper way.

As tempting as it is to go to an MMA gym where all the action is at, unless you already have strong base in something, these facilities are of little value. I would highly recommend you to join an only boxing or only kick boxing gym. They will teach you properly from the bottom up: footwork, head movement, combinations, etc.

How I always look at is this: pick an MMA fighter who has a gym that interests you. You have joined his gym because of his name and obviously the opportunity to be around top fighter. Logically, if he was so good, his gym must be pretty good also. But think, how did he become this good? You think he started out at a gym like his own?

Chances are, probably not. He started out at some gym that was either boxing, k.boxing, wrestling, JJitsu - a specialization gym. And then after being proficient in that martial art, he made his way into other martial arts.

Even if Fedor, A. Silva, GSP, Machida all trained at the same gym, it would make little difference being a beginner. It's not like you will get the opportunity to spar with them. Even if they were to teach a class that day, it would be them drilling the same basics to you which everyone else does. There is only one way to take that first step and get to the next level, and that is by just drilling over and over and over again with correct technique.

Just my thoughts.

To the above poster: The gym is mostly a kickboxing gym, but apparently they have a guy come in to teach grappling/striking/etc. in the MMA class, so I figured why not.

They only offer kickboxing like 3 days a week and muay thai twice so I figured I would just take both.

I know for sure I won't be lifting for the first 1-2 weeks cause I'm gonna need as much help adjusting to the tough schedule as I can.

Basically for now, I'm getting myself a bit of general knowledge in each aspect of MMA, and then I will start specializing in certain aspects. I'm going off to college soon and I'll be finding new places to train once I'm there.

Personally, I would like to eventually be specialized in BJJ and boxing, but have a really solid base in Muay thai and wrestling.