T Nation

MMA Olympic Teams

It will be a while before it happens, if ever, but I figure it could be fun to compose the teams representing various countries.

I’ll do the US for now. IMO the lineups for many other countries will be hard to determine b/c mainstream fans such as myself only know 1 or 2 of their fighters. Russia would be an example. They have the best MMArtist in the world at heavyweight, Fedor. They also have a top 5 hvwt in Kharitonov and another top hvwt in Aleksandr Emelianenko. Who else do they have that is not a heavyweight?

Team USA and alternates

HW: Randy Couture (Josh Barnett)
LHW: Chuck Liddell (Quinton Jackson)
MW: Dan Henderson (Rich Franklin)
WW: Matt Hughes (Karo Pariysan, assuming he doesn’t compete for Armenia, if so Serra or Diego Sanchez)
LW: BJ Penn (Sean Sherk)

Barnett-Couture and Liddell-Jackson are very close and could go either way. I pick Chuck b/c of his dominance over everyone not nicknamed Rampage. Barnett would prob. be the pick if they were to compete in a ring, where Randy couldn’t press up his opponent against a fence.

How about your picks?

It’s much deserved for MMA to be an official sport…But who really cares about the Olympics? But whatever inspires or leads to quality matches I’m all for. Barnett over Randy for sure, hopefully we’ll see them go again soon.

MMA is one of the original olympic sports. Rephrase this thread to say “when will MMA be back in the olympics?” MMA used to be called Pankration back in the early days of the Olympics. Do some research on Wiki if you’re interested.

[quote]j281 wrote:
MMA is one of the original olympic sports. Rephrase this thread to say “when will MMA be back in the olympics?” MMA used to be called Pankration back in the early days of the Olympics. Do some research on Wiki if you’re interested. [/quote]

Good point. I read an interview with Bas Rutten where he mentioned it as something he’d like to see happen.

I think it’d be great even if it was amateurs only.

[quote]j281 wrote:
MMA is one of the original olympic sports. Rephrase this thread to say “when will MMA be back in the olympics?” MMA used to be called Pankration back in the early days of the Olympics. Do some research on Wiki if you’re interested. [/quote]

Yes they fought in the nude,nothing was illegal except the groin shots and fighters fought until knocked out or submission. I wish to see all that brought back…not so much the nude though. I think if there was a MMA Event in the Olympics (Or Pankration)Russia and Fedor will dominate for years to come much like Russia dominated Hockey in the Olympics.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
It will be a while before it happens, if ever, but I figure it could be fun to compose the teams representing various countries.

I’ll do the US for now. IMO the lineups for many other countries will be hard to determine b/c mainstream fans such as myself only know 1 or 2 of their fighters. Russia would be an example. They have the best MMArtist in the world at heavyweight, Fedor. They also have a top 5 hvwt in Kharitonov and another top hvwt in Aleksandr Emelianenko. Who else do they have that is not a heavyweight?

Team USA and alternates

HW: Randy Couture (Josh Barnett)
LHW: Chuck Liddell (Quinton Jackson)
MW: Dan Henderson (Rich Franklin)
WW: Matt Hughes (Karo Pariysan, assuming he doesn’t compete for Armenia, if so Serra or Diego Sanchez)
LW: BJ Penn (Sean Sherk)

Barnett-Couture and Liddell-Jackson are very close and could go either way. I pick Chuck b/c of his dominance over everyone not nicknamed Rampage. Barnett would prob. be the pick if they were to compete in a ring, where Randy couldn’t press up his opponent against a fence.

How about your picks?[/quote]

You might want to swap out, and make Liddel the alternate

Yet somehow, MMA doesn’t fit in with the spirit of the Olympics today, but ice dancing and curling do…