MMA: High Percentage Techniques

[quote]boatguy wrote:
I like rib shots, since I seem to end up in position for them alot. Most guys do them wrong, they punch too high up their opponents side; I usually get hit in the lats when another fighter tries to hit the body. The lower on the side you hit(just above the hip bone), the more the other guy will feel it.[/quote]

Yea… Liver shot :slight_smile:

[quote]sjfou wrote:
watch every mma fight you can, check out sherdogs fight finder & see how the fights ended. most subs are all fundamentals (i still cant beleive Chonans leg-lock - does my head in every time), generally its the simple stuff that works & the guy has the best fundamentals will be the 1st to get the sub.

its usually gullotines, triangles, straight armbars, RNCs… basic stuff you learn early but takes years to setup properly.

As for the triangle, before my oppenent stands up & tries to slam me, i underhook his nearest leg. also heaps get the cut too… [/quote]

If you get to your opponent before he stands up fully to slam you…and take your leg thats on the outside of the triangle (back of that leg’s knee is on the other leg’s ankle)

Use this leg to push your opponents hip/quad backwards…this makes him slip and lay on his belly while in your triangle.

this will cause a neck crank. In quite a few grapping competition’s neck cranks are illegal, but this is one the referee can’t see. It just looks like a triangle.

If you try it with a partner (BE CAREFUL!!!) he’ll tap almost immediately the pain is unbearable.

and there ya go Xen’s “Sick Triangle”

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
Melvin Smiley wrote:
I’m glad to see people stressing fundamental basic boxing. I’ve always thought that if a guy had rock solid fundamentals and didn’t make stupid/lazy mistakes, he could be very successful without an abundance of fancy techniques.

I agree with you guys 100%. Fundamentals are 95% of the game. Without basics, there are no intermediate techniques, then no advanced. In my fighting days, I stuck with basics. (I fought karate, so not exactly the same as MMA style) I stuck with my front kick, roundhouse, jab and cross, hook kick, and back sweep. I would win fights, tournaments and titles with just these movements. [/quote]

Yes I agree. Just basics. Great basics are hard to stop. I was first taught as a kid to clinch and throw knees from my dad. Basically just, jab, cross, hook, uppercut, front kick, roundhousekick. As far as stand-up goes. All the other stuff I can do but I never use much.
What do people have problems with? I remeber this bjj American guy I rolled with once. I couldn’t submit him from his back. He kept on talking. I always got his back, from there I had problems. And he kept talking. I guess that shows my lack of submissions.

Thanks for the tips on making my triangles nastier, I am sure all my friends will hate you for it :slight_smile: But what I am talking about is an arm triangle (this is what I call it at least… my terminology is going to be a bit off because I do submission wrestling. I don’t really pay attention to names I just remember what hurts)

Arm Triangle to the left

1. You begin on your back with your opponent in your guard.

2. When your opponent tries to strike you with a right hand, parry the strike with your left hand across your face.

3. Extend your right arm between your opponents left shoulder and neck.

4. Take your right hand and grab your own bicep or shoulder if you can get deep enough. This should trap their head and right arm between your right arm and head/neck/shoulder.

5. Move your left hand over their forehead and push back.

There is your basic arm triangle.

6a) To make it worse, break your guard and put both feet on your opponents hips. Push their hips back hard.

or

6b) you can roll your opponent on to their back. From here you will be in the mount position and your weight increases the pressure

1. The absolute worst is to roll them over, bail on the mount position, and move to a side mount position on the side of their trapped arm. (this does not cause the pain of 6a but the choke goes on very tight with little effort, be careful)

this is going to sound weird to everyone here but the side kick. I really worked on it and I have got it to work really well for MMA. I got it quick enough that it is usefull and the power I can generate its like having a shot gun, if I can get it off the guy has to get the hell out of my way, I have won fights by knockout even when the guy blocked it, after that it would be the jab, rearnaked choke and traingle