MMA Gear Is Only Cool When They Sponsor You

A general rant aimed at all the punks, wannabes, and posers with Tapout stickers on their trucks and Affliction t-shirts showing off their 9 inch guns.

Take off the MMA t-shirt. Seriously, no one is buying it. Not the 16 year old you’re hitting on, not the people in traffic you’re trying to impress, and definitely not the guys at the gym with cut scars and cauliflower ears.

You’re all the same. You want people to treat you like a badass, but you never worked for anything. You treat the people around like shit, because you think they’ll be afraid of you. Can’t they see your shirt? Don’t think know what a great fighter you are? You think a logo makes you the same as the real men who work at the sport, like you can buy your way into the club. Well I’ve got news for you: unless your name is Fedor, an Affliction shirt might as well be a banner that says “I take it in the ass.” The real fighters are too busy training to worry about whether the new Tapout gear looks good with the sunglasses they wear backwards on their head. One day you’re going to take the tough guy act too far with a real fighter, and you’re not going to know it until he makes you bleed all over that shirt.

I used to think fight wear was good for the sport, that it would help raise awareness and lead to increased opportunities for up and coming fighters. Now it just seems to give us all a bad name, because 99% of the time the prick wearing the shirt is a wannabe douche bag. Unless you’re getting paid to wear it, take that shit off.

I see alot of people who dont play professional sports wearing their favorite team’s jerseys and gear. Some of them are douchebags. Ive yet to hear the outrage over that. Just an observation.

I have yet to actually see these people maybe it’s where I live?

I have a back tattoo of a Minotaur armbarring a fire-spitting scorpion, with “King of Armbarz” written over it in Gaelic lettering. That’s not douchebaggery, is it? I hope not, because they tell me tattoos are permanent.

[quote]FarBeyondDriven. wrote:
I see alot of people who dont play professional sports wearing their favorite team’s jerseys and gear. Some of them are douchebags. Ive yet to hear the outrage over that. Just an observation. [/quote]

right.

but they don’t go around pretending like they are a professional football player

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]FarBeyondDriven. wrote:
I see alot of people who dont play professional sports wearing their favorite team’s jerseys and gear. Some of them are douchebags. Ive yet to hear the outrage over that. Just an observation. [/quote]

right.

but they don’t go around pretending like they are a professional football player[/quote]

You have obviously never played intramural football at UCF.

I dont think they are pretending to be pros, maybe just someone who is just good enough to be threatening to you. Though I agree most of them are just strait up posers, the more douchebags stocking their closets with tapout t-shirts, the better it is for the sport. The more money tapout brings in, the more disposable income they have to sponsor real athletes.

Maybe its a complex thing to understand, but… They sponsor athletes with money made from “so called posers”. I have some sprawl gear as well as a tapout shirt my brother bought me for Christmas. I wear it from time to time. I have grappled for 2 years and boxed for one, I have no aspirations to fight, but i see no issue with anyone wearing one.

Come on guys. It’s sunday night and this topic is all played out.

There is a week to week pattern here. Someone brings up an incendiary topic on friday, and we kick it around all weekend.

Sorry, OP. You just have bad timing.

right.

but they don’t go around pretending like they are a professional football player[/quote]

You’ve never been to my office on casual Friday:

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

right.

You’ve never been to my office on casual Friday:

Winner.

I put these young chaps on blast whenever I see them by asking things like, “oh you fight? Which camp do you fight for?”

Then I follow up with “oh…you just like wearing the clothes though? that’s cool.”

makes em blush everytime

I don’t think I’ve ever seen tapout gear as it’s called.
I’m going to google it then I’ll get back and tell you if I’ll participate in hating them.
I’m going to go with ‘yes’ preliminarily.

OK, it looks like that Ed Hardy stuff.
I certainly hate really short shorts but I also hate shorts that cut off only an inch above normal pants so I say fuck this stuff no matter who wears it.

its not the clothes thats the problem its the douche bags that wear them.

Oh fuck, I guess I have to buy some new clothes…

meh. I can’t get too worked up over it. I never looked at a guy that wore such a shirt and thought “he must be a fighter” or, “he’s trying to pose as a fighter”. I think that logic is just plain stupid. The fact is, the designs of the shirts are appealing to some people (I happen to like some of them) and some people just like to identify with the sport, like someone said, wearing your favorite team jersey.

As for OPs observation, remove the shirt and the sticker, and you can bet they still roll like douchebags anyway. The shirt is incidental. And there are guys that train train train, collect belts, and can’t fight a lick. You either have talent or you do not. I played basketball at a high level in my prime. And then there were guys that played damn near every day recreationally.

If they gave out belts on the playground, everyone of those fools would have earned on. Proficient at jump shooting? Belt. Dribbling? Belt. Layups? Belt. Defense? Belt. You could collect all those “belts” and not make a high school varsity team. Well sorry guys, it’s the same with fighting. It’s talent, overall athleticism, heart, desire, and all the other things that makes someone very good at their sport that makes someone formidable.

So really OP, who do you define as a fighter? A guy that trains religiously in a gym, spars, rolls around? Or the guy that actually has a license from the State and has a fight 12 weeks from now? Because there aren’t too many of the latter. And there just as many douchebags within the former as there are in the general population.

I guess I don’t see it as anything to get excited about. Replace “Affliction” shirt for “basketball gear” and the posers that act like they can ball…what’s to get excited about? A douchebag is a douchebag, no matter how clothed :slight_smile:

[quote]Kerley wrote:
its not the clothes thats the problem its the douche bags that wear them.[/quote]

x2

Don’t blame the clothes and gear for the tough guy act. Blame the “tough” guy.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
A general rant aimed at all the punks, wannabes, and posers with Tapout stickers on their trucks and Affliction t-shirts showing off their 9 inch guns.

Take off the MMA t-shirt. Seriously, no one is buying it. Not the 16 year old you’re hitting on, not the people in traffic you’re trying to impress, and definitely not the guys at the gym with cut scars and cauliflower ears.

You’re all the same. You want people to treat you like a badass, but you never worked for anything. You treat the people around like shit, because you think they’ll be afraid of you. Can’t they see your shirt? Don’t think know what a great fighter you are? You think a logo makes you the same as the real men who work at the sport, like you can buy your way into the club. Well I’ve got news for you: unless your name is Fedor, an Affliction shirt might as well be a banner that says “I take it in the ass.” The real fighters are too busy training to worry about whether the new Tapout gear looks good with the sunglasses they wear backwards on their head. One day you’re going to take the tough guy act too far with a real fighter, and you’re not going to know it until he makes you bleed all over that shirt.

I used to think fight wear was good for the sport, that it would help raise awareness and lead to increased opportunities for up and coming fighters. Now it just seems to give us all a bad name, because 99% of the time the prick wearing the shirt is a wannabe douche bag. Unless you’re getting paid to wear it, take that shit off.[/quote]

so using the exact same logic, should I assume that you are a mcmap instructor? Or just some tan belt who thinks the logo is cool?

[quote]andruw_doucette wrote:
Maybe its a complex thing to understand, but… They sponsor athletes with money made from “so called posers”. I have some sprawl gear as well as a tapout shirt my brother bought me for Christmas. I wear it from time to time. I have grappled for 2 years and boxed for one, I have no aspirations to fight, but i see no issue with anyone wearing one. [/quote]

Right? If the outrageously overpriced gear disappears, the money disappears. If the money disappears, the sport disappears. WEAR MORE AFFLICTION SHIRTS!

[quote]blithe wrote:

[quote]andruw_doucette wrote:
Maybe its a complex thing to understand, but… They sponsor athletes with money made from “so called posers”. I have some sprawl gear as well as a tapout shirt my brother bought me for Christmas. I wear it from time to time. I have grappled for 2 years and boxed for one, I have no aspirations to fight, but i see no issue with anyone wearing one. [/quote]

Right? If the outrageously overpriced gear disappears, the money disappears. If the money disappears, the sport disappears. WEAR MORE AFFLICTION SHIRTS![/quote]

x2. Just like if people stopped drinking shitty beer and taking ED drugs, the NFL would go broke.