T Nation

MMA Fighters-Weight Lifting Routines?

I’m not a fighter myself but I find alot of their physiques impressive. When their “muscle buildng” is their workout routine any different then those of a bodybuilding routine? What would a MMA fighter workout look like?

Thanks for any and all replies!!

Check the combat sports section. They probably know more than the Strength Sports guys about MMA.

not sure how they all lift but I saw some kids doind Randy Couture’s workout at the gym. Googled it and found this:

"Do the Randy Couture workout if you?ve got a barbell and you want to get into fighting shape or even if you are a weekend MMA warrior. I?d start with the 45lb empty bar and work up. That way you won?t fall into the toilet the next day.

Do all of this MMA workout without letting go of the bar for the best conditioning effect:

Bent rows x8
Upright rows x8
Military press x8
Good morning x8
Lunges x8 (each leg)
Squat push press x8
Deadlift x8

1 minute?s rest. Do 3-5 sets depending on how much you feel like puking."

Not sure how effective it would be at building muscle as you use next to no weight.

[quote]UpChucker wrote:
not sure how they all lift but I saw some kids doind Randy Couture’s workout at the gym. Googled it and found this:

"Do the Randy Couture workout if you?ve got a barbell and you want to get into fighting shape or even if you are a weekend MMA warrior. I?d start with the 45lb empty bar and work up. That way you won?t fall into the toilet the next day.

Do all of this MMA workout without letting go of the bar for the best conditioning effect:

Bent rows x8
Upright rows x8
Military press x8
Good morning x8
Lunges x8 (each leg)
Squat push press x8
Deadlift x8

1 minute?s rest. Do 3-5 sets depending on how much you feel like puking."

Not sure how effective it would be at building muscle as you use next to no weight. [/quote]

I did this when I used to box and wrestle… and it certainly does bring you to the point of puking. Not sure how it does at building muscle though. I was trying to maintain my weight, so I wasn’t eating enough to make gains.

yeah they would be more concerned about conditioning than mass gain. Maximal power in punching and other hip extension movements would be another factor in most smart fighters cross training with weights.

they would all be different based on the individuals too. Many of them are highly sub par and have led to the certain doom of many fighters rich franklin is one example. His resistance training was below shit and subsequently his punches and all other techniques lack power and speed. the training session style is on youtube. he has since changed trainers i think.

-chris