MMA Conditioning

Hey ya’ll,

I’m a long time lurker and learner. I’ve been getting stronger, smarter, and closer to many of my goals because of this site, so thanks!. Over the past couple of years I’ve been training MMA and like many of you, I’ve searched for programs and methods that I can integrate into my schedule.

I was recently training in Oregon with some pro and amateur fighters at Straight Blast Gym International (SBGI) (this is the gym that Rory Singer and Forest Griffen are out of). I went to a couple of the conditioning classes that were based on core and rotational strength and mobility. The movements were smart and the progression was smarter.

A couple of the gyms at the gym have put together a DVD set with ton’s of movements and key imbalances to keep an eye out for. The one limitation of the videos so far is that they don’t put together sample programs … but I think they’ll be fixing this soon.

In any case, I thought I’d include a review of the DVD I found on Sherdog and let ya’ll know about since I was able to train with the creators.

I also found their MYSPACE page where they have some clips from the DVD’s. I’m including that as well.

After taking so much from the site it’s time I give back a little.

Here are some YOUTUBE vid’s too…

All the best.

Darren

MYSPACE LINK:
(search for ‘combative conditioning’ if the link doesn’t work)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=118188127

PRESS RELEASE:

Impact Jiu-Jitsu? announces the release and availability of the ground breaking Combative Conditioning Training System.

BEAVERTON, OR ? Impact Jiu-Jitsu?, a StraightBlast Gym has released Combative Conditioning, a two DVD, one CD training program designed specifically for the needs of the combative athlete, or those who simply want the fitness of the competitive MMA/BJJ practitioner.

Over a year in the making, this unique program addresses the four phases of combative conditioning (Stability, Strength, Power Endurance, and Fight Specific Training), and provides a progressive program tailored to the needs of the individual athlete.

Unlike other conditioning instructional which have the user simply follow a specific routine on-screen, the Combative Conditioning system empowers the athlete to become their own fitness ?coach?, and develop routines targeting their specific needs as they develop.

The two in-depth instructional DVD?s provide the conditioning framework so the athlete understands the objectives, the exercises, and the progressions needed for a specific phase.

The supplemental Data Disk CD supplies a variety of materials including several workouts by phase and fitness level, as well as a training log, a movement library, coaching points, and other resources. Together, they form the foundation of a constantly evolving conditioning program for everyone from the beginning athlete up to world class competitors.

Tom Oberhue, Impact Jiu-Jitsu co-founder, BJJ blackbelt, MMA gym owner and coach says ?We?ve been having great success in our gyms with our conditioning classes. For our new students it gives them the physical tools they need to learn the BJJ curriculum. For our grapplers, we?ve seen injury rates go down, and for our competitive fighters, it delivers the fight specific conditioning needed to succeed in the ring.?

?The conditioning needs of the MMA/BJJ community are probably the most demanding of any sport, given the emphasis on overall strength, power and the necessity of combative mobility in so many different planes of movement. Putting up big numbers on the bench or squats or running a 10k quickly won?t give you what you need on the mat. This system does? says Dewey Nielsen, NASM instructor, and BJJ instructor.

?This is the most complete and effective conditioning system I?ve seen in my fifteen years in this business. I make my living training athletes, and getting them to the next level, and know what works and doesn?t. If you?re serious about results, this is the way to go. You?ll be challenged like never before.? says Tony Lelack, CSCS certified and head trainer at Gold?s Gym.

Combative Conditioning ? Foundation is available for a limited time at the special price of $49. The feedback has been tremendous on the effectiveness of this program, and Impact Jiu-Jitsu wants to make it available to a large segment of the MMA/BJJ community through this introductory offering.

Combative Conditioning is the collaborative effort of Dewey Nielsen, NASM certified trainer and BJJ purple belt, Tony Lelack, B.S. in Sports Medicine, CSCS certified and head trainer of Gold?s Gym in Newberg OR, and Tom Oberhue, NASM certified trainer, BJJ blackbelt, Straight Blast Gym full coach and gym owner/operator. Combative Conditioning reflects the latest scientific research and knowledge as well as the specific needs of the combative athlete.