T Nation

MMA Competitor Torn Bicep

Hey I am an MMA competitor, I train in Mauy Thai and BJJ as well as fight. Friday night I tore the distal tendon of the long head of my bicep. I’ve seen the orthopedic in the ER but not a Spors Med Ortho, I am still deciding which one to see.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what kind of results they have had from the treatment. I know this type of tear happens in about 3% of bicep tears and surgery is necessary to regain strength and mobility of the joint. But I would like to hear from some athletes that have experience.

Thank you.

Im in the cast right now, three weeks post surgery it well sucks. Take the nerve block if offered pain is pretty bad that first day. Other than that i cant tell you much yet, just that all ive talked to in strongman/PLing were back doing meets in 3-4 months. Im still training hard with the rest of me and itching to get this damn full cast off in three more weeks

Best of luck,
Phill

Damn. How did you guys tear your biceps?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Damn. How did you guys tear your biceps?[/quote]

I tore mine sparring with a newer thai boxer at our gym. We have light sparring nights and heavy sparring nights and a lot of the newer guys don’t know what lighter sparring is. I threw a slower rip hook and it hurt. I didn’t really think anything of it until I took my glove off and my fingers were twitching uncontrollably.

Phill

Thanks for the info. Good luck with everything. I have my appt tomorrow and they plan on scheduling my surgery by Wed of next week.
If I get any cool pics I will post them here,

I plan on keeping up on my training throughout everything to get back to fighting ASAP!!!

I have my surgery tomorrow and talked to my Dr. He said I should back to doing max effort lifting and full training at 3 months. Does this sound right.

1 Week post surgery.

130 Degrees flexion
10 Degrees extension
70 Degrees supination
65 Degrees pronation

I started conditioning and and muay thai on Tuesday, will go back to some grappling positions and drills today with a motion restrictive brace. Of course being cautious and not really using the arm I had the surgery on.

Hopefully back to the cage By August

Good luck with your recovery man. But just be careful. When in doubt, don’t do it.

Taking it easy will save you tons of pain if you mess up and re injure the arm.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
I have my surgery tomorrow and talked to my Dr. He said I should back to doing max effort lifting and full training at 3 months. Does this sound right.[/quote]

same time frame ive heard and been told

Phill

Been through it. Tore the Distal tendon 3 years ago. I climbed on a Bull after some younger guys called me an old man and that tore mine. Funny thing is: I am an old man! (39 at the time) Tearing the bicep just proved it!

Anyway the rehab was a bit painful. Physical Therapist had to do deep massage to breakup scar tissue and that hurt. I took it real easy and followed the PT’s instructions. After about 3 months post op I started with 5 lb plate curls and worked up from there. Within 6 months I was doing pullups and curls with 95 lbs on a barbell.

My arm is fine now plus a cool scar. Main thing: don’t rush it. As an MMA guy you are going to be raging to get back in the ring. Give it 6 months post op though at least. Don’t wait around to get the surgery done. It won’t get better and before long your unattached bicep will turn into a lump of goo hanging on the side of your arm (been there) I waited awhile and the Orthopedic surgeon had a hell of a time fixing mine.

Barry

Hey sorry for the long winded post. I only read your first post and hit reply. Looks like you went ahead with the surgery. Didn’t notice that when I was posting about not waiting to have surgery, Good move.

Barry

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Koing

[quote]mozhne wrote:
Hey sorry for the long winded post. I only read your first post and hit reply. Looks like you went ahead with the surgery. Didn’t notice that when I was posting about not waiting to have surgery, Good move.

Barry[/quote]

Thanks, I am listening to my Therapist. I got very lucky with her, she started her career with the airborn down south doing research on bicep tear recovery. I guess they were having trouble with rip cords tearing biceps.

How long did you wait for the surgery? They told me the longer you wait for the repair the more painful the surgery and the longer the recovery.

I can’t wait to get back to it but I am tryng to be smart and use controlled stress and active range of motion to force the tendon to heal faster.

If anyone is in the philly lehigh valley area and needs something done I highly recommend these guys.

http://www.oaaortho.com/index.php?pr=SPORTSMEDICINE

I have had very little pain they will help you with whatever your goals are.

I was released from the brace on Friday last week and allowed to start resistance training with that arm up to 10 lbs, they said stay at 10 lbs for 2 weeks and then I can progressively increase the weight from there.

I have also been doing light shadow boxing with the arm, push-ups and presses with little or no pain, so hopefully things will continue to progress this way.

Good luck!