MMA and Strength

I’m an avid lifter who has been training for about two years. After watching a documentary on Muay Thai, I suddenly became interested in it. I want to learn it for self-defense.

A lot of people have been saying that finding a trainer is the best way for learning, but is that true? Can I really not learn it by myself? I probably can’t get the fighting experience etc w/o finding a trainer and gym, but can I still at least condition and train myself for techniques and forms?

I’m trying to find a compromise between lifting and training for this. Does anyone have any insights? By the way, if possible, can someone direct me to a good place to start reading up on Muay Thai training? Thanks!

Man, you can only learn so much by yourself. You need another perspective, someone with lot’s of experience, if you want to make any real progress. Conditioning yeah, you can do by yourself.

Anyways Im sure there are lot’s of gyms close enough that you can find a decent one, maybe with a nice big weight room too :slight_smile:

If you don’t have a trainer reviewing your technique you’ll miss all the small details. There is no substitute for an experienced trainer.

Every guy who trained on his own that came in has been bad. You will certainly have a little bit of edge, but no real fighting ability unless you just get inspiration from that.

Find a gym.

Most likely you will teach yourself some bad habits and bad form by practicing without a trainer. You really want to avoid this. Instead of being slightly ahead of a beginner, you’ll be further behind trying to unlearn something. Muay thai is a simple art but the finesse and brutality comes from the details.

Based on my own experiences, I would suggest you push your conditioning hard, tonnes of high-rep body weight stuff to get yourself ahead of the beginners in that regards (think skipping, pushups, crunches, leg lifts, scissor kicks… by the hundreds) and wait to get some classes to learn the techniques.

[quote]Doh wrote:
I’m an avid lifter who has been training for about two years. After watching a documentary on Muay Thai, I suddenly became interested in it. I want to learn it for self-defense.

A lot of people have been saying that finding a trainer is the best way for learning, but is that true? Can I really not learn it by myself? I probably can’t get the fighting experience etc w/o finding a trainer and gym, but can I still at least condition and train myself for techniques and forms?

I’m trying to find a compromise between lifting and training for this. Does anyone have any insights? By the way, if possible, can someone direct me to a good place to start reading up on Muay Thai training? Thanks![/quote]

It’s very tough to learn MT on your own. You will at least need a training partner to practice with. A heavy bag never seems to cut it. I strongly believe you will not learn enough on your own and proper supervised training will iron out all the bad habbits you will develop on your own. Even if it is only 1x per week learning in a formal supervised training session will help you improve quicker and keep those poor habbits at bay.

If you are into it more for a conditioning point of view, look no further than the Bas Rutten conditioning CD’s. They are sensational and they provide a top notch conditioning session.

It is tough to find a compromise between lifting and MT but you need to work out what your #1 priority is. Whatever that is, obvioulsy takes priority and just fit the other in where you have some free time.

Muay Thai is the most rewarding MA and I wish you all the best in your quest.

You can’t learn it by yourself. The time you spend “learning” on your own with be equal to the time you spend un-doing the bad habits you form doing so.

If you can’t find a MT school, boxing gyms are easy to come by. While there is no kicking, kneeing or clinching you can learn proper punching form, punching defense and some footwork which translates well to Muay Thai and self defense.

[quote]De sleeplijn wrote:
Doh wrote:

I’m trying to find a compromise between lifting and training for this. Does anyone have any insights? By the way, if possible, can someone direct me to a good place to start reading up on Muay Thai training? Thanks!

It’s very tough to learn MT on your own. You will at least need a training partner to practice with. A heavy bag never seems to cut it. I strongly believe you will not learn enough on your own and proper supervised training will iron out all the bad habbits you will develop on your own. Even if it is only 1x per week learning in a formal supervised training session will help you improve quicker and keep those poor habbits at bay.

If you are into it more for a conditioning point of view, look no further than the Bas Rutten conditioning CD’s. They are sensational and they provide a top notch conditioning session.

It is tough to find a compromise between lifting and MT but you need to work out what your #1 priority is. Whatever that is, obvioulsy takes priority and just fit the other in where you have some free time.

Muay Thai is the most rewarding MA and I wish you all the best in your quest.

[/quote]

Thats right. MT is all cardio. Your gonna lose a ton of muscle. MT and body building just dont mix. Even k-1 max champ buakaw has to take breaks from training just to maintain weight.