T Nation

MM Bench Press Log

I have been curious to see how this would work with me so I decided to give it a shot. Current 1 rep max=295@ 189 lbs. BW and 39 years age. All the pressing is done raw.

The routine calls for benching twice a week so I am going to bench on Saturdays and Wednesdays.

Here was today’s workout:

230X6X1.
245X5X2
255X4X1
Then 255X3X1, I couldn’t hit the last rep, so I am going to subtract 5 pounds for the rest of the workouts until my failure test and see how it goes.

Auxiliary work wasn’t specified, and I tried some MP’s with a light weight but my shoulders felt cooked so I bagged it.

Here is the workout routine:
http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm

after that much benching just do some laterals front and side, (heavy of course!) and dont forget tricep and back work on those days or seperate! whats ur ambition?

[quote]bignate wrote:
after that much benching just do some laterals front and side, (heavy of course!) and dont forget tricep and back work on those days or seperate! whats ur ambition?[/quote]

My ambition is to take my bench from 295 to over 300. I edited my post to include the link to the routine. I was thinking of hitting my back twice a week and maybe throwing in tricep work too. But right now my shoulders and arms are really sore!

aye, u could set it up like this:

sunday: bench, do a few sets of tris after
monday: back, dont forget biceps u need balance
tuesday: off
wed.: Shoulders, hit them very hard
thursday: legs, and some back
friday: Bench again with tris
sat: off

[quote]bignate wrote:
aye, u could set it up like this:

sunday: bench, do a few sets of tris after
monday: back, dont forget biceps u need balance
tuesday: off
wed.: Shoulders, hit them very hard
thursday: legs, and some back
friday: Bench again with tris
sat: off
[/quote]

I am not so sure about hitting the shoulders on a separate day. I think the volume of this routine will hit my shoulders hard enough; I am also going to make my other bench day on wed. so as to space out the workouts for equal recovery.

On Monday I did some barbell rows. I hadn’t done these in a while (I usually use dumbells or do chin ups) so I really wanted to see where my strength was at here…

Anyway I did some heavy triples with 245 and then put 275 on but I could only get that once, so then I decided to try a few more heavy singles. I did 285 and then 300, but couldn’t get 3 plates.

Anyway, today I did the next scheduled workout after shaving 5 lbs. off of my target weight and got all the sets and reps.

It looked like this:
250 2X3
270 2X2
Then when I got to the negative, I misloaded the barbell and put 310 on.

After that I decided to try some light seated military presses with dumb bells.

I picked up 35 pounds and got that for an easy 12.
So then I raised the weight to 50 pounds and got that for 2X8.
After this I pretty much felt spent.

Yesterday I tried the 3rd workout listed on the program and here is how it went:
230X6, no problem at all.
245X5…Felt a little on the hard side, but oh well…
245X5… again, it felt a little hard but oh well…
260X4 attempt… Got two up and WTF? Couldn’t get the third.
260X0 couldn’t barely get the barbell off of the bench…

Now I am throwing in the towel. Even if I shaved another 5 pounds off of the bench press max, my workouts would still contain this ridiculous volume of these high weights.

My verdict, at least for myself, is that this program is bar none the worst benching workout that I have ever tried in my life.

hahaha good call