MLK Jr...Hooded

[quote]
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s niece recently spoke out about the image of him wearing a hoodie, referencing Trayvon Martin, and according to an interview on the Andrea Tantaros Radio Show, she is not happy with the image.

"Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would very likely not wear a hoodie, Dr. Alveda King told Tantaros last week. “I can assure you he would not wear sagging pants.”
King also seemed to side with George Zimmerman’s “Not Guilty” verdict, “There was a reasonable doubt in that case. So the case went the ways of the laws of this land, but now we need to go further and look at the human heart.”
According to King, race was brought in to the equation of the Zimmerman trial as a divisive tool, “As far as trying to fit the Caucasians against African Americans, Mr. Zimmerman is a Hispanic. Although we are one blood, one human family, one human race, there’s a lot of deception and emotion in these things that are being spurred […] Mr. Zimmerman is not a Caucasian. He’s not.”[/quote]

That’s a nice change of pace to read.

I’m wondering if she is being called an Uncle Tom on CNN yet?

Good idea…bad idea…

When Partying With A Purpose Goes Wrong: Trayvon Martin Strip Club Party Gets Canned

[quote]I’m all for the idea of partying for a purpose, but it takes a very special kind of stupid to think the slaughter of a teenager is the perfect premise to promote twirking. Still, some promoter thought it would be a grand idea to take the death of Trayvon Martin as an opportunity to advertise his event this week at a strip club in Greensboro, North Carolina. The flier featured Trayvon’s face with the caption, “Justice: In memory of Trayvon Martin.”

Not to be outdone, the flier promised:
“EVERYONE FREE B4 11 WITH AN EMPTY BAG OF SKITTLES.”
Not even the guarantee of free chicken wings before 10:30 can negate the idiocy of it all.
Even worse, there was no mention that any of the proceeds of the party would go to Martin’s parents as they prep for potential legal fights with their son’s killer. Then again, why would anyone expect the careless to be that thoughtful?[/quote]

No doubt, the over-sensationalization will ruin whatever message there was to be had beneath all of this…and no doubt, the worst offenders will be held as an example of all.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I’m wondering if she is being called an Uncle Tom on CNN yet?[/quote]

Why would she be an Uncle Tom?

I agree with her.

Am I one?

Personally I think MLK’s dream was achieved when Obama was elected: Proof that a black president can be just as bad as a white one.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I agree with her.

Am I one?[/quote]

No, I’m saying that I’m suprised people aren’t on TV calling her an Uncle Tom because she has taken a stance opposite of what many black people have as far as the Trayvon Martin case is concerned.

I also agree with her. I’d like to hear her voice more often to be honest.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
she has taken a stance opposite of what many black people have as far as the Trayvon Martin case is concerned. [/quote]

But how would you know this? Because of what you see on the news.

Most of the people I know understand the issues behind this case very well.

They also know the real issue was NOT what race Zimmerman was specifically…but that has been lost due to ignorance on all sides.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Personally I think MLK’s dream was achieved when Obama was elected: Proof that a black president can be just as bad as a white one.[/quote]

His dream will be realized when that isn’t even an issue in your head.

Comparing Trayvon to MLK is just terrible. That’s even worse than when his parents attorney said that he was like Medger Evers. I cannot understand why people keep disrespecting the legacies of great men strictly to spew propaganda in a case that has no merit for it.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Comparing Trayvon to MLK is just terrible. That’s even worse than when his parents attorney said that he was like Medger Evers. I cannot understand why people keep disrespecting the legacies of great men strictly to spew propaganda in a case that has no merit for it.[/quote]

Is it any worse than when they were comparing Emmett Till to Trayvon?

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Comparing Trayvon to MLK is just terrible. [/quote]

I personally would say “misguided”…but what is truly terrible is this and the alternate view choosing to ignore that the race of Zimmerman isn’t the real issue that created a problem here.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
she has taken a stance opposite of what many black people have as far as the Trayvon Martin case is concerned. [/quote]

But how would you know this? Because of what you see on the news.

Most of the people I know understand the issues behind this case very well.

They also know the real issue was NOT what race Zimmerman was specifically…but that has been lost due to ignorance on all sides.[/quote]

Yes, when I said, “many,” I was referring to the reaction in the media, social media, on this site, etc… I’m sure many understand the underlying issue. I’m also sure many do not.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Personally I think MLK’s dream was achieved when Obama was elected: Proof that a black president can be just as bad as a white one.[/quote]

His dream will be realized when that isn’t even an issue in your head.[/quote]

Issue for me? No. But it will be eye opening for the non-whites who voted for Obama on the basis of the colour of his skin.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
Comparing Trayvon to MLK is just terrible. That’s even worse than when his parents attorney said that he was like Medger Evers. I cannot understand why people keep disrespecting the legacies of great men strictly to spew propaganda in a case that has no merit for it.[/quote]

Is it any worse than when they were comparing Emmett Till to Trayvon?[/quote]

I actually think the Till quote came at the same time as when he compared Martin to Evers.
Those three murders are examples of the true evil of racism. The Martin murder is no where close to that, with the murder itself not being racially motivated, at best you can say he was following him because he was black (which I don’t buy). And the murder was committed by a Hispanic guy who had challenged the police earlier on behalf of a homeless black man. Contrast that with this quote from one of the men who killed Till:

“Well, what else could we do? He was hopeless. I’m no bully; I never hurt a nigger in my life. I like niggersâ??in their placeâ??I know how to work ‘em. But I just decided it was time a few people got put on notice. As long as I live and can do anything about it, niggers are gonna stay in their place. Niggers ain’t gonna vote where I live. If they did, they’d control the government. They ain’t gonna go to school with my kids. And when a nigger gets close to mentioning sex with a white woman, he’s tired o’ livin’. I’m likely to kill him. Me and my folks fought for this country, and we got some rights. I stood there in that shed and listened to that nigger throw that poison at me, and I just made up my mind. ‘Chicago boy,’ I said, 'I’m tired of ‘em sending your kind down here to stir up trouble. Goddam you, I’m going to make an example of youâ??just so everybody can know how me and my folks stand.’”

J. W. Milam, Look magazine, 1956[12]

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

I personally would say “misguided”…but what is truly terrible is this and the alternate view choosing to ignore that the race of Zimmerman isn’t the real issue that created a problem here.[/quote]

I mean I agree that some tried to use this case to put a face to racial injustice today. However, if they were going to do that they should have at least made sure it was a case that actually had a racially motivated crime committed. I think by choosing this case it caused far more harm than good because a lot of people could see this for what it was, an overreaction by the legal system to public pressure playing the race card that should have never seen the inside of a courtroom.

That pic is just silly. I wish people would stick with pictures of Biggie & 2Pac on a See-Saw. Leave MLK alone.

I agree with Dr. Alveda King. Great quote, and X you look at Character and that is a hard trait to find in any race of person. I might not agree with you, but I do respect you.

It is all about character and a person’s heart.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

His dream will be realized when that isn’t even an issue in your head.[/quote]

Well said my man, well said!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I agree with her.

Am I one?[/quote]

Can I start calling your Uncle X?

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

I personally would say “misguided”…but what is truly terrible is this and the alternate view choosing to ignore that the race of Zimmerman isn’t the real issue that created a problem here.[/quote]

I mean I agree that some tried to use this case to put a face to racial injustice today. However, if they were going to do that they should have at least made sure it was a case that actually had a racially motivated crime committed. I think by choosing this case it caused far more harm than good because a lot of people could see this for what it was, an overreaction by the legal system to public pressure playing the race card that should have never seen the inside of a courtroom.[/quote]
agreed

there are obviously race issues in the US still, but one state court case shouldn’t be representative of it