T Nation

MLB Playoffs 2010

I’m a glass half-empty fan when it comes to the Giants being up 2-0. Texas is their park facing a pitcher who was doing great the last month of the season until that last Philly series.

Which Jonathan Sanchez will show up? The one who gave up 1 run vs Atlanta for 7 innings, or the one who lost his composure against Philly?

By the way, I know Colby Lewis won 2 games vs NYY (game 2, to tie the series, and game 6, to win the series), but how much pressure is on him to go at least 7 innings and not lose or they go down 0-3?

[quote]fnf wrote:
I’m a glass half-empty fan when it comes to the Giants being up 2-0. Texas is their park facing a pitcher who was doing great the last month of the season until that last Philly series.

Which Jonathan Sanchez will show up? The one who gave up 1 run vs Atlanta for 7 innings, or the one who lost his composure against Philly?

By the way, I know Colby Lewis won 2 games vs NYY (game 2, to tie the series, and game 6, to win the series), but how much pressure is on him to go at least 7 innings and not lose or they go down 0-3?[/quote]

I don’t think anyone is happy with the last Sanchez that showed up. It was the old April Sanchez. Historically there are games where he starts off rocky and then settles down. Not something we can afford against the Rangers. He has looked VERY relaxed in the dugout for the last two games… hopefully he’s straightened out. We’ll see. I believe the pitcher’s demeanor affects the whole team on the field. I’d love to see him stone cold like Cain though I’m not expecting it.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

By the way, I know Colby Lewis won 2 games vs NYY (game 2, to tie the series, and game 6, to win the series), but how much pressure is on him to go at least 7 innings and not lose or they go down 0-3?[/quote]

I don’t think anyone is happy with the last Sanchez that showed up.[/quote]

At least he’ll be well rested. Being up 2-0, Sanchez has a little less pressure on his shoulders going into this start, and I think that will allow him to come out on fire and be more aggressive.

I like that Bochy put the Kung Fu Panda at DH. He’s a switch hitter, and has had time to work on his swing and gain some confidence during his time on the bench. Maybe he can be our David Ortiz Light.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

To me you sound like a guy whose panties get wet from a team winning in your area.[/quote]

I do, I love sports and there’s nothing wrong with that.

You might just want to keep your mouth shut, your definitely just digging a deeper hole with your recent posts.[/quote]

LOL

Deeper hole? In your opinion of me? Who cares.

You’re the jackass who keeps calling me an idiot even though everything I’ve stated has been opinions based around facts. You are just too stupid to comprehend that.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

To your second remark, sports 100% depends on getting hot at the right time. If you can’t bring it when it really counts, who cares how much talent you have? It’s idiotic to say “basically gotten hot at the right time”, THAT’S WHAT WINNING A TITLE IS ALL ABOUT.
[/quote]

Just noticed I missed responding to this.

It’s not idiotic you just don’t understand what I’m saying. I know getting hot is important but what I’m saying is almost all the teams that get hot around this time of year are the ones loaded with talent and have stacked lineups. That’s one of the reasons I picked the Rangers over the Giants. The Rockies got hot at the right time and they ended up losing it in 2007.

Look at the last 3 World Series winners:

2009 Yankees
2008 Phillies
2007 Red Sox

They all have stacked hitting lineups, while the Giants didn’t finish in the top 15 in almost every hitting stat. I think the only exception I saw was their slugging % which they were 13th.
[/quote]

The 3 teams you mentioned have better hitters than the Giants. But all three of those teams have extreme hitter friendly ball parks and teams built for success in their particular stadium. Swisher doesnt hit 30 homers in 75% of the stadiums in MLB.

The giants have a team built to succeed in their stadium. No need for a lefty bopper when the power alley is 400+

In a small park its better to have an explosive offense that relies on the 3 run homer and adequate pitching. In a big ballpark its better to have dominant pitching to negate the other teams chance for a 3 run homer and force them to string togeth hits. Which Texas certainly hasnt done.

I said that there was a chance texas would be held to less than 10 runs for the series. THey got a few junk runs in game 1 that destroyed any chance of that but theres no reason to beleive that they will hit for enough power in San Fran.

I see texas winning 2 games in arlington. [/quote]

Agreed, but they still were able to take 2 of 3 in Philadelphia, a hitters ball park. It doesn’t seem to matter.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

To me you sound like a guy whose panties get wet from a team winning in your area.[/quote]

You might just want to keep your mouth shut, your definitely just digging a deeper hole with your recent posts.[/quote]

LOL

You’re the jackass who keeps calling me an idiot even though everything I’ve stated has been opinions based around facts. You are just too stupid to comprehend that. [/quote]

This coming from the simple mind who wasted his time clutching a grapefruit while taking a picture with Kai Greene.

I’m sure everyone holds you in in the highest regards.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

LOL

You’re the jackass who keeps calling me an idiot even though everything I’ve stated has been opinions based around facts. You are just too stupid to comprehend that. [/quote]

This coming from the simple mind who wasted his time clutching a grapefruit while taking a picture with Kai Greene.

[/quote]

You fail at reading comprehension. It wasn’t done by me I just re-posted it from another site. Are all Giants fans this stupid?

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

LOL

[/quote]

You fail at reading comprehension. It wasn’t done by me I just re-posted it from another site.
[/quote]

You are correct, I did misread that.

You still need to learn to root for the Giants though, your not going to stop the magic.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

LOL

[/quote]

You fail at reading comprehension. It wasn’t done by me I just re-posted it from another site.
[/quote]

You still need to learn to root for the Giants though, your not going to stop the magic.[/quote]

Dude, I don’t have anything against the Giants, you just seem to take offense to my predictions and my analysis of the team. I don’t have interest in turning this thread into a flame war.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

To your second remark, sports 100% depends on getting hot at the right time. If you can’t bring it when it really counts, who cares how much talent you have? It’s idiotic to say “basically gotten hot at the right time”, THAT’S WHAT WINNING A TITLE IS ALL ABOUT.
[/quote]

It’s not idiotic you just don’t understand what I’m saying. I know getting hot is important but what I’m saying is almost all the teams that get hot around this time of year are the ones loaded with talent and have stacked lineups. That’s one of the reasons I picked the Rangers over the Giants. The Rockies got hot at the right time and they ended up losing it in 2007.

2009 Yankees
2008 Phillies
2007 Red Sox

They all have stacked hitting lineups, while the Giants didn’t finish in the top 15 in almost every hitting stat. I think the only exception I saw was their slugging % which they were 13th.
[/quote]

The 3 teams you mentioned have better hitters than the Giants. But all three of those teams have extreme hitter friendly ball parks and teams built for success in their particular stadium. Swisher doesnt hit 30 homers in 75% of the stadiums in MLB.

The giants have a team built to succeed in their stadium. No need for a lefty bopper when the power alley is 400+

In a small park its better to have an explosive offense that relies on the 3 run homer and adequate pitching. In a big ballpark its better to have dominant pitching to negate the other teams chance for a 3 run homer and force them to string togeth hits. Which Texas certainly hasnt done.

I said that there was a chance texas would be held to less than 10 runs for the series. THey got a few junk runs in game 1 that destroyed any chance of that but theres no reason to beleive that they will hit for enough power in San Fran.

Agreed, but they still were able to take 2 of 3 in Philadelphia, a hitters ball park. It doesn’t seem to matter.
[/quote]

I can tell youve never played baseball before. What does 3 games in philly have to do with the Texas rangers?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

2009 Yankees
2008 Phillies
2007 Red Sox

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can tell youve never played baseball before. What does 3 games in philly have to do with the Texas rangers? [/quote]

I’m referring to the fact that Giants are succeeding in parks they’re technically not “built” to win in. It may not make a difference if the Rangers are playing at home because the Giants are so hot.

I played in competitive baseball leagues until I was 16.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

LOL

[/quote]

[/quote]

You still need to learn to root for the Giants though, your not going to stop the magic.[/quote]

Dude, I don’t have anything against the Giants, you just seem to take offense to my predictions and my analysis of the team. I don’t have interest in turning this thread into a flame war.
[/quote]

Raj, I know you’ve got nothing against the Giants. We fans are a little testy cuz we haven’t won it yet. If we were NY, Boston, or Philly who has a title, we’d be more calm about other people predictions.
I predicted Texas will probably win today and my other friends called me a traitor. Do I want a sweep? Heck yes. Will it happen? Probably not.
Giants in 6

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

2009 Yankees
2008 Phillies
2007 Red Sox

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can tell youve never played baseball before. What does 3 games in philly have to do with the Texas rangers? [/quote]

I’m referring to the fact that Giants are succeeding in parks they’re technically not “built” to win in. It may not make a difference if the Rangers are playing at home because the Giants are so hot.
[/quote]

Hot and cold really is nonsense. A team is as hot as the the opposing pitcher is good. Cliff Lee had no idea where his cutter was going. That’s why the Giants hit him hard. The guy thrives with his surgical precision. WHen its not there hes not a phenom.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

2009 Yankees
2008 Phillies
2007 Red Sox

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hot and cold really is nonsense. A team is as hot as the the opposing pitcher is good. Cliff Lee had no idea where his cutter was going. That’s why the Giants hit him hard. The guy thrives with his surgical precision. WHen its not there hes not a phenom. [/quote]

On the hitting side of things I don’t agree with this at all. Hitters go through hot and cold streaks all the time. A really hot hitter can still hit well located pitches.

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

LOL

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Raj, I know you’ve got nothing against the Giants. We fans are a little testy cuz we haven’t won it yet. If we were NY, Boston, or Philly who has a title, we’d be more calm about other people predictions.
I predicted Texas will probably win today and my other friends called me a traitor. Do I want a sweep? Heck yes. Will it happen? Probably not.
Giants in 6[/quote]

I hear you but it’s still retarded. I don’t like the Yankees but I still picked them to win the ALDS.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

2009 Yankees
2008 Phillies
2007 Red Sox

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hot and cold really is nonsense. A team is as hot as the the opposing pitcher is good. Cliff Lee had no idea where his cutter was going. That’s why the Giants hit him hard. The guy thrives with his surgical precision. WHen its not there hes not a phenom. [/quote]

We also saw this coming; Lee throws a TON of first-pitch strikes, which makes him especially effective against very “patient” teams like the pinstripes. The Giants hitters came out and said before the series that they planned on choosing pitches and swinging earlier in counts before they got behind. They did that. It worked.

[quote]Prof wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

2009 Yankees
2008 Phillies
2007 Red Sox

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We also saw this coming; Lee throws a TON of first-pitch strikes, which makes him especially effective against very “patient” teams like the pinstripes. The Giants hitters came out and said before the series that they planned on choosing pitches and swinging earlier in counts before they got behind. They did that. It worked. [/quote]

The Giants are Hackers. Have been all season.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

This never was a flame war, it’s a good heated debate about sports, which is one of the things that makes sports great. If you ever felt that this was personal, I can’t help you there.

I haven’t felt offended by anything you have said, I have simply been busting you because your predictions haven’t faired so well, and because my team is winning and I am very happy about that.

Let’s continue.

Love the early start, will let me watch most of it before Hallowe’en parties start.