T Nation

MLB 2015

No thread and the season is underway. Let's get it started

Predictions?

Staton - MVP. Looking like the beaning has had no effect. He's the life of my fantasy team.

My Padres are primed to take a run at the NL west title. Kimbrel was a great addition even though they had to eat BJ Uptons contract. I’m thinking it might take the team a month or so to really mesh. They have already hit into four double plays against the Giants today, yikes!

I can see Stanton getting the MVP.

I think Dodgers are still the team to beat in the NL because of their pitching. You can’t ever count out the Cardinals though, they always seem to be in it.

I need to watch more games to catch up with the AL teams since I follow the NL a lot more.

Agree on the Padres. They really brought in some beef in the off season. I think the NL West is a toss up between SF, LA and SD. I like the NL West survivor to win the WS. My Red Sox have added some offense but we need starting pitchers. I like the Angels in the AL. I predict a west coast WS.

It’s an odd-numbered year, so I don’t like the Giants’ chances. That, and their starting pitching is a complete fucking disaster right now.

I also like the Padres, and I could see them leading the West for most of the year. But in the end, the Dodgers are the better team with the better pitching. The way to win in baseball is virtually unchanged over the last 100 years or so: good pitching and good defense are 2/3 of the equation, and the Dodgers are arguably better than anyone else in the division at those things. And their offense isn’t exactly a bunch of punching-Judy swishes.

In the Central, I like the Cardinals, and I like them to get back to the Series as well. Over in the East, the Nationals are going to be tough to beat, and I anticipate an NLCS between them and St. Louis.

In the American League, the A’s still have the pitching, and I don’t think the Angels are the real deal. They had a lot of things go right for them last year, and I don’t anticipate the same level of fortuitousness. The Mariners are overrated and seem to be this year’s Blue Jays, a team surrounded by a lot of hype and not a whole lot else. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them finish with about 80 wins and in 3rd place.

In the Central, I still like the Tigers. The division is a fucking joke for the most part, although I think the Royals can give them a run for their money if they catch a few breaks along the way.

In the East, I just can’t get behind Toronto. They play in that fucking abomination of a stadium, and since no one else is playing on that horrific turf, it really gives them a disadvantage since it can wear on you over the course of a season. Baltimore looks good, the Yankees look old, and the Red Sox look inconsistent. They also don’t have the pitching. I like the A’s and the Orioles in the ALCS, and although I’m probably a fool for predicting this, I think the A’s finally get over the hump and make the Series. That assumes that Bob Melvin learns to stop managing like a fucking psychotic. The guy is simply wound too tight sometimes. He should take a page out of Bruce Bochy’s book and relax a little.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
My Padres are primed to take a run at the NL west title. Kimbrel was a great addition even though they had to eat BJ Uptons contract. I’m thinking it might take the team a month or so to really mesh. They have already hit into four double plays against the Giants today, yikes!

I can see Stanton getting the MVP.

I think Dodgers are still the team to beat in the NL because of their pitching. You can’t ever count out the Cardinals though, they always seem to be in it.

I need to watch more games to catch up with the AL teams since I follow the NL a lot more.[/quote]

I hated to see Kimbrel go, but I understand why the Braves had to do it. We finally got a GM that understands that it’s no longer the '90s and we needed to rebuild. Despite losing Kimbrel, I was happy to see Upton go. Finally to old guard has gone and we are rebuilding. Of course that kills our chances at decent post season play for the next couple of years but we have a restocked farm system and a team full of young talent. Finally watching Braves games are enjoyable again.
And if we go to the post-season, I’d want to go with a chance to win a series or two rather than get blown out in 3 games and go home. I’d rather not make it to the post-season then go and get humiliated.

Phillies winning the WS this year for sure.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Phillies winning the WS this year for sure. [/quote]

Royals.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Phillies winning the WS this year for sure. [/quote]

Royals.[/quote]

They never replaced the star power they lost.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

In the East, I just can’t get behind Toronto. They play in that fucking abomination of a stadium, and since no one else is playing on that horrific turf, it really gives them a disadvantage since it can wear on you over the course of a season.

[/quote]

Have you heard about the new turf they installed?

Anybody else as happy as I am that Bug Selig is gone? I couldn’t stand that bastard.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

In the East, I just can’t get behind Toronto. They play in that fucking abomination of a stadium, and since no one else is playing on that horrific turf, it really gives them a disadvantage since it can wear on you over the course of a season.

[/quote]

Have you heard about the new turf they installed?[/quote]

Is it called “grass”, and does it grow out of dirt? Is it exposed to hours and hours of sunlight each day?

[quote]pat wrote:
Anybody else as happy as I am that Bug Selig is gone? I couldn’t stand that bastard.[/quote]

I was, until the fucking moron who replaced him floated the idea of banning infield shifts.

How out of touch with the game and its fans do you have to be to even THINK of something like that?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

that fucking abomination of a stadium
[/quote]

Man, the Jays haven’t played at the Ex in 26 years.

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[/quote]

Man, the Jays haven’t played at the Ex in 26 years.[/quote]

Yeah and if you want to talk about cock sucker stadiums, I hear they tore down Candle Stick due to an HIV infestation.

History being made today, White Sox and Orioles playing to an empty park.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
History being made today, White Sox and Orioles playing to an empty park.[/quote]
That’s pretty crazy. It’s going to be so quiet there.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:
Anybody else as happy as I am that Bug Selig is gone? I couldn’t stand that bastard.[/quote]

I was, until the fucking moron who replaced him floated the idea of banning infield shifts.

How out of touch with the game and its fans do you have to be to even THINK of something like that?[/quote]

Granted it’s a dumb idea, but it wasn’t implemented. I am a huge fan of the speed of game rules though.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[/quote]

Man, the Jays haven’t played at the Ex in 26 years.[/quote]

Yeah and if you want to talk about cock sucker stadiums, I hear they tore down Candle Stick due to an HIV infestation.

[/quote]

They tore it down because people don’t have an appreciation for history. It has nothing to do with what you may have been engaged in while bent over the urinal trough there.

Face it. Toronto is literally the biggest joke in the Major Leagues. They play in an absolute shithole of a stadium. In Toronto, a run of success is back-to-back seasons with 82 wins.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
They play in an absolute shithole of a stadium. [/quote]

I remember going there as a kid, it was a cool stadium 15 years ago. Cant be worse than Tampa, and to be honest i’d rather see the blue jays come out of the east than any other team.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
They play in an absolute shithole of a stadium. [/quote]

I remember going there as a kid, it was a cool stadium 15 years ago. Cant be worse than Tampa, and to be honest i’d rather see the blue jays come out of the east than any other team. [/quote]

Thanks brah.

It’s really not that bad, it’s just pales in comparison to the upper tier stadiums in the league (e.g. PNC park) . In large part it has to do with the fans. Toronto is a hockey city first and foremost. I would probably rank baseball third here behind basketball in terms of popularity.

Take for example Fenway. Fenway is an old decrepit shit-hole and while it’s history has some pull, by any modern metric the stadium falls short. Shitty obstructed views, absurd field dimesions (LF is only ~300FT from home plate), park oddities (Green monster, ground rules, tiny foul area) and microscopic capacity make it pretty awful.

But it’s fun as hell going there because the fans give a shit.

You go to a Toronto game and a lot of the fans are barely paying attention