T Nation

Mk WS4SB Log

Mk…you might want to consider mixing in some plyometrics as well to improve your explosion to the ball. The only reason I suggest this is that you mention that you have good vision but “can’t make the play”. Instinct, which is somewhat intangible, obviously plays a big part as well, but if you have good vision, combined with good instincts AND good explosion, you’ll get to the ball.

Consider some of the best LBs in college (AJ Hawk-OSU, Paul Posluszny-PSU) and the NFL (Zach Thomas, Brian Urlacher)…These guys obviously have great instinct and ability to anticipate, but once they recognize where the play is going, they are there in the blink of an eye. Plyo work might help you out here. Just my .02. Best of luck to you.

How and what should I do to work on that. I want to do that, cause I need to hit harder and bigger.

There are a ton of different plyometric movements designed to increase explosion. Shoot me a PM.

Mk…The more I think about it, to echo some of the other good advice given, I would switch to big lifts exclusively (with a PC emphasis)and compliment that with plyometrics and speed/agility work.

What do you mean? Could you tell me when and what to do?

Today Weds: I will be resting, maybe doing a walk but nothing more.

On Saturday I will be adding Plyometrics to add agility and explosiveness:
Bounding 2x10
Lateral jumps 2x10
Chest pass 3x10
Single leg hops 2x10
Hurdle jumps* 2x10
Side throw 3x10
Depth jumps* 2x10

I don’t know, but I don’t really think it’s “instinct” or anything like that. I think they just are able to digest the scouting reports and remember them. Even in highschool, on 95% of the plays we could narrow it down to two different plays for that situation. Sometimes, we’d know exactly where it was going and what hole it be going in. Like watching a blind cheetah run into a wall.

[quote]gottatrain wrote:
Mk…you might want to consider mixing in some plyometrics as well to improve your explosion to the ball. The only reason I suggest this is that you mention that you have good vision but “can’t make the play”. Instinct, which is somewhat intangible, obviously plays a big part as well, but if you have good vision, combined with good instincts AND good explosion, you’ll get to the ball.

Consider some of the best LBs in college (AJ Hawk-OSU, Paul Posluszny-PSU) and the NFL (Zach Thomas, Brian Urlacher)…These guys obviously have great instinct and ability to anticipate, but once they recognize where the play is going, they are there in the blink of an eye. Plyo work might help you out here. Just my .02. Best of luck to you.[/quote]

Does anyone know where I can find a sled to drag around? for GPP??

Listen, if you are playing linebacker, you have to be be deadlifting and squatting at least 300. Your bench should be up there also, but that can slack a little if your legs are really strong (which they are not).

By deadlifting only 180, you have the strength that is ok if you are a safety or corner, and even then its weak. You need to get your “big” lifts (bench, squat, deadlift) much higher, and supplement it with rows, lunges, overhead squats, dips, etc. Get stronger first- I know this contradicts what I said before, but you really need to focus on getting stronger first, all around. Use this program like it is written for now, but ditch the machines and look up a couple of Olympic Lifts to throw in there when you figure out what you can handle (these are good because of their explosiveness).

We can’t tell you everything, being as few of us are actually trainers. But trust me, you need pure strength. KEEP AT IT!!!

Oh I totally agree with you I know my deadlift lifts are weak. But strength comes with time correct? Like I said I wasnt the greatest LB only reason why I got tackles was because I sniffed out the play. So other then my weight being light is my routine good to build strong leg drive? Im thinking on adding a leg day on friday instead of running. I need to lose bf though. Im soft around the edges!! Thanks again though.

Joe DeFranco doesn’t run with his athletes this early in the off-season, he lifts and improves flexibility. I would ditch the running and go for the second leg day if leg strength is a priority.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
Joe DeFranco doesn’t run with his athletes this early in the off-season, he lifts and improves flexibility. I would ditch the running and go for the second leg day if leg strength is a priority.[/quote]

The more I hear, the more I am thinking that you should add another leg day and forget the running for now. This program will certainly get your leg strength up there, trust me.

If you can see the plays developing, and you can be there at the right time, then you have half of it won. Get the strength now.

I agree. I took today as another rest day cause my arms are still sore from those close bench press, but I feel progress so I will be for sure in the Gym tomorrow doing my upper reps.

Lifted like a pussy. Im embarrassed by these lifts I had to stop cause my back is still tight.

Bench:140x12
140x12
160x8

Lat Pulldowns: 70x10
80x10

Tricep Rope Pulldowns: 120x10
120x10

Cable Curls: 100x10
100x10

Sorry to dissapoint.

What day was this? Your rep day?

Yeah today.

Hey guys happy New Years, Im a day behind So I will be doing monday’s workout today. Hopefully I have better lifts today. GO USC!!

Im thinking about adding the Velocity diet: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=546491 To my workout routine. What do you guys think about it? Also Im sorry I just havent been at the gym lately. Im just down on myself cause I need to lose body fat. I know its not gonna fall off but I just need to add strength and loss these man tits. It sucks. I cant even bench my weight and I deadlift like a pussy. Please stick it out with me guys maybe once I start this diet I will feel better. Also anyone know where I can find a sled for Training or is there a cheaper alternative?

Anyone?

You are overcomplicating this. You need strength and you need muscle. I don’t know that I would start trying to lose weight when you aren’t that strong. I’m not knowledgeable on diets, but I would say check out John Berardi’s articles and you will find what you are looking for one way or the other.

If you were lifting for looks, then I would try to lose some weight…but you are a damn football player. Stop whining and go lift, and get stronger. Go lift heavy shit, and results will come. Why would you want to lose weight now? You’re a linebacker. How many 190 lb linebackers do you ever see? None.

Go lift.