T Nation

Mixing Two Training Principles?

I have been following a version of Brook Kubiks big bench program which is basically a 5x5 routine ie you start light and add weight to the bar at each training session. However i'm near the end of my cycle now and would like to keep it going so was wondering if perhaps mixing two training pinciples might be a good option to try and increase my strength that bit further ?

For example lets take flat bench press could i do 3x3 for strength then to finish off reduce the weight and do one more set with a weight that allows me to get 8-10 reps, the idea being that i get the strength gains associated with the 3x3 protocol which would mean that in theory the lighter weight would go up allowing me to use a greater weight for the 8-10 rep range which is more associated with muscle growth.

Perhaps another way around it would be to perform the 3x3 with a compound ie bench followed by an isolation exercise such as flyes for the higher reps any thoughts welcome.

Yet another idea I had was maybe to switch to a more Doug Hepburn type format ie as copied from an article on T-Nation.
After doing two warm-up sets, choose a weight you can handle for three reps,and do 5x1. Rest two to four minutes between each set. At the next workout do 6x1.
The goal is to work up to 8x1 over several workouts.When you reach 8x1, add five to ten pounds, drop back to 5x1, and repeat the process. This manner of progression automatically cycles the intensity to avoid overtraining. As the workout's intensity goes up, the volume decreases to induce adaptation.

This again could be followed by a couple of pump sets as typically used by Doug Hepburn in the early days.

Any thoughts on this ?

1: Stop
2: Breath
3: pick one and follow religiously for a minimum of 4 months.
4. DO NOT MIX PROGRAMS.
5. Learn what your body reacts to the most, and you cant do that mixing programs.

You seem to be gravitating towards “powerlifting/strength” types of programs. Head over to the Powerlifting forum and see what they are doing.

When things get hard the body protests and the brain tries to figure out a way to make things easier.
If you don’t get to the end of your linear progression you will never know how far you could have got on your linear progression if you had simply stuck to it.
If you stick to it you get to see what your true 5x5 max is.
Why not finish what you started?

[quote]tredaway wrote:
I have been following a version of Brook Kubiks big bench program which is basically a 5x5 routine ie you start light and add weight to the bar at each training session. However i’m near the end of my cycle now and would like to keep it going so was wondering if perhaps mixing two training pinciples might be a good option to try and increase my strength that bit further ?

For example lets take flat bench press could i do 3x3 for strength then to finish off reduce the weight and do one more set with a weight that allows me to get 8-10 reps, the idea being that i get the strength gains associated with the 3x3 protocol which would mean that in theory the lighter weight would go up allowing me to use a greater weight for the 8-10 rep range which is more associated with muscle growth.

Perhaps another way around it would be to perform the 3x3 with a compound ie bench followed by an isolation exercise such as flyes for the higher reps any thoughts welcome.

Yet another idea I had was maybe to switch to a more Doug Hepburn type format ie as copied from an article on T-Nation.
After doing two warm-up sets, choose a weight you can handle for three reps,and do 5x1. Rest two to four minutes between each set. At the next workout do 6x1.
The goal is to work up to 8x1 over several workouts.When you reach 8x1, add five to ten pounds, drop back to 5x1, and repeat the process. This manner of progression automatically cycles the intensity to avoid overtraining. As the workout’s intensity goes up, the volume decreases to induce adaptation.

This again could be followed by a couple of pump sets as typically used by Doug Hepburn in the early days.

Any thoughts on this ?

[/quote]

Finish what you started and don’t mix the programs.

However, in the future, AFTER you finished the Kubik 5x5 bench program, the first idea you had of doing 3x3 + a down set for reps is a good one. Many many good programs use a similar idea (though not all, of course).

I personally like that better than your second idea by a long long shot.

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile: I wouldn’t say i’m not finishing what I started as I have been using this program for a good 3 months now and i’m planning on running the program until I can’t get the full 5 reps for my first set, at my last bench session I managed 2x5 & 1x4 so my guess is I won’t be able to sustain it for much longer. My main goal is to improve my one rep max on the bench which going by my progress so far i’m on target to do, however I would like to try and keep things moving for a little longer with either 3x3 or perhaps a Doug Hepburn approach using 4 singles and building them up to 10 etc, because of using such low reps I just thought it may be a good idea to finish with a back off set.

training heavy for the main lift and then higher reps/pump work for assistance is pretty standard fare in many programs. 5/3/1, ws4sb wtc all do this