Mixing Strength and Size Cycles

Hey guys. I recently started Charles Poliquins Maximal Weights For a Strength Cycle from this article http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459298.

For the first 3 weeks I’ll be doing 5 sets of 5 like it says, but was wondering if I could throw in some cycles aimed at size as well. Such as weeks 3-6 trying some german volume training, then weeks 6-9 starting the 6 sets of 2-4 aiming at strength again. 12 weeks straight of strength training proposed by the article is great, but I would like to gain some size as well.

Is my thinking wrong, and would I have decent size gains during that long of a strength based phase, or should I mix in some size targeted training cycles. Thanks guys.

A couple things.

First, training routines are generally not mechanical in the sense of “if I decide to deviate from what I see on the page it’ll break”. Of course you CAN experiment with some of your own ideas. Whether you should depends on your level of experience. Beginners are probably better off sticking with something for a decent stretch to see how they respond before going off in different directions in my opinion.

Judging from the fact that you’re concerned you may get significantly stronger without getting significantly bigger I’m betting you’d be best off with a well rounded beginners routine that you stick to for at least several months.

No offense, but I get the impression you’re not in a position where this or that particular emphasis will do you much good.