Mixing Strength and Hypertrophy

Hello i have been out of the gym for a month now due to a surgery in my throat and tongue and now the doctor told me i can get back to the gym now, before the surgery i always trained in full body manner as it fits my schedule and my daily life i cant go to the gym 5 or 6 days per week but i can do 3 to 4 days maximum earlier i used to train in a bodybuilding manner like high reps with no squats deadlift or any type of strength related lifts but now i am trying to switch things up but i am kinda lazy to put up something myself so i searched for a workout that mixes both principles and i found one online and i want to know if its good or should i train 1 day heavy 1 day moderate 1 day light

Day 1

Squat 5x5
DB bench 4x10
DB row 4x10
Seated DB press 4x10
Lying leg curls 4x10
DB curls 3x10
overhead triceps ext 3x10

Day 2
Bench press 5x5
Pulldown 4x10
Leg ext 4x10
lying leg curls 4x10
lateral raises 4x10
cable curls 3x10
Triceps rope ext 3x10

Day 3
Deadlift 5x5
DB incline press 4x10
seated cable rows 4x10
lateral raises 4x10
leg press 4x10
EZ-bar curls 3x10
skull crushers 3x10
DB shrugs 3x12

Are you sure there is enough volume and variety in your program?

1 Like

That’s why i made this post i don’t wanna get competitive level of bodybuilding i wanna look good naked and fill my clothes and be strong

I’m not sure @strongmangoals was 100% serious.

Why don’t you try a program by a trusted and reputable coach? Your goals aren’t exactly groundbreaking, it should be pretty easy to find a program that will fit the bill.

1 Like

Could you guide me to one? but not a program that strength dedicated like 5x5 or 5/3/1 i dont wanna focus strength i wanna focus on hypertrophy and get some strength gains with that

There’s hundreds, but I’ll put a few varied ones up.

There’s plenty, plenty more that people can recommend, including the obligatory Deep Water reccommendation.

2 Likes

Thanks i shall dig deep into them and find the most interesting one to follow <3

1 Like

If those styles don’t suit you, plenty of people on this site like Christian Thibasomething or John Meadows programs, but I wouldn’t even know where to start finding an appropriate one for you. @Voxel might

3 Likes

with all due respect to the mentioned programs none of them appeal to me i wanna train in a bodybuilding manner

1 Like

Your program looks fine. Just put in some kind of progression model for the squat, bench and deadlift and you’re gtg.

2 Likes

A. Squat 5/3/1, FSL

B1, DB bench 4x10
B2. DB row 4x10

C1. Seated DB press 4x10
C2. Lying leg curls 4x10

D1, DB curls 3x10
D2. overhead triceps ext 3x10

Simple example.

2 Likes

No worries, I think we’re probably talking at cross purposes here, so I’ll bow out.

1 Like

What you’ve posted looks fine.

If you can do 3-4 days then commit to three. You don’t want a four-day plan that you can’t do consistently.

How knowledgeable are you?

If I say that I recommend that for the machine lifts (e.g. pulldowns, seated DB press…) the final set should be to failure and that for isolation lifts (DB Curls, leg extension) 2-3 sets should be to failure do you know what I mean and which lifts belong to either category?

That should be adequate to spawn some growth. If you are unsure though I recommend buying John Meadows Baby Groot program. It’s 3x/wk, bodybuilding-oriented (some strength) with detailed descriptions, examples, and video links.

@dagill2 appreciate the @ buddy

2 Likes

first thanks for all the great help <3, i am going to progress as if its 5x5 program if i hit 5 reps for 5 sets of the same weight i would add weight on the bar till i can hit 5x5 and so on, as for the bodybuilding i would add 2 reps on each set till i hit 12 instead of 10 on 4 sets then i would add weight and maybe move back to 8 reps and try to each 12
as for arm work i would do supersets and sometimes drop sets but won’t add much weight as my arms should have alot of work from the previous compound movements

1 Like

Strength and hypertrophy are not mutually exclusive. Its common to think they are - but at an early stage of training its VERY easy to build size and strength.
Ask your self compared to the general public have you ever seen:

• Power lifter / strong man with no noticeable muscularity.
  • A weak bodybuilder.

2 more things

• 5x5 will make you bigger.
  • 531 will make you bigger. BBB, Beef Cake, BTM are 3 templets that are dedicated to adding size.

My advice - your programme is “fine”. You will see results if you follow your progression plan. Most of it will be from the 5x5 squats and bench and deadlift. But its a bit of a mess and you will progress better with any of the programmes @dagill2 posted.

Good luck man. Any questions post back.

Read this:

and this

4 Likes

Bodybuilding style manner, 3 days a week, size and strength?

This

Otherwise…

Jon Andesen’s Deep Water program

6 Likes

I knew I could count on someone.

Can I say “just do 531” yet?

3 Likes

You can always tell when someone is actually not familiarized with the workings of 531. Especially when they think there is not a hypertrophy component to it. Like in the case of the OP.

3 Likes

531 is pretty straightforward for people used to running strength orientated programs, but I totally get why someone used to body part splits and the kind of routine outlined above would find it confusing, especially with so many different variations.

1 Like

Yeah.i can agree. Plus most information regarding it is sketchy or inaccurate on line.

1 Like