T Nation

Mixing Planes Of Movement?

When I’m doing a wokout should I stick to one plane of movement for upper body pushing and pressing movements, or is it OK to mix them.

For example, should I do something like D.B. flat bench (upper body push–horizontal), bent-over BB rows (upper body pull–horizontal); or is it acceptable to do, for example, dips (upper body push–vertical), and bent-over rows (upper body pull–horizontal)?

Crowbar

Depends on the overall design/goals of the program.

SERIOUSLY!?

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
When I’m doing a wokout should I stick to one plane of movement for upper body pushing and pressing movements, or is it OK to mix them.

For example, should I do something like D.B. flat bench (upper body push–horizontal), bent-over BB rows (upper body pull–horizontal); or is it acceptable to do, for example, dips (upper body push–vertical), and bent-over rows (upper body pull–horizontal)?

Crowbar[/quote]

It’s ok to mix them up. I’ve trained chest/back doing supersets with similar plane movements. It wasn’t a big deal when I was doing D.B. flat bench and I couldn’t find a barbell for back rows. I’d just throw in T-bar rows instead.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
SERIOUSLY!?[/quote]

Amazing, isn’t it…

The world is going to end any minute now.

It’s fine, just different training techniques. I love working opposing muscle groups. But it’s just like any other training method, try one for a while, than switch to something else. Just get out of your head right now that their is ONE right way and ONE perfect way to lift, everything works, for a while.