T Nation

Mixing Organic Milk with Surge.

Any opinions on mixing Surge with organic skim/fat free milk post workout instead of water. I get few extra grams of both protein and carbs from the milk, and the taste beats mixing it with water.

There is some research pointing to whole milk being even better than skim milk.

I say go for it.

I’ve had only one protein shake in water over the past 3 years of training.

Will the absorbtion rate not be slowed?

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Will the absorbtion rate not be slowed?[/quote]

the idea that you need the fastest digesting proteins came from research on fasted subjects. therefore it is of little applicability to people that are likely still digesting their last meal when they work out (and if you’ve eaten in the last 5 hours or so, you will be)

resent research has actually touted a mix of slow/fast proteins for after training, hence, the milk (which is 80% casein)

so yes, the digestion rate will be slowed, but no, that is not a bod thing necessarily.

I always mix my protein in milk. It adds more protein and sure as hell makes it taste better. As for the milk, I’d screw the organic skim milk and see if you can find grass-fed raw milk. I’ve been drinking that stuff for the past 5 years and I swear that at times it has kept my body sustained even at times when I wasn’t lifting regularly. Then again, my friend owned his own raw milk business so I could afford to drink the stuff by the gallon…otherwise its kinda expensive.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:
There is some research pointing to whole milk being even better than skim milk.

I say go for it.
[/quote]

I definitely prefer the taste and texture of whole milk, but am trying to stay away from fat intake post workout and early in the morning (I work out in the morning). Fat intake goes up for me later in the day (further from my workout).

[quote]BrownTrout wrote:
I always mix my protein in milk. It adds more protein and sure as hell makes it taste better. As for the milk, I’d screw the organic skim milk and see if you can find grass-fed raw milk. I’ve been drinking that stuff for the past 5 years and I swear that at times it has kept my body sustained even at times when I wasn’t lifting regularly. Then again, my friend owned his own raw milk business so I could afford to drink the stuff by the gallon…otherwise its kinda expensive. [/quote]

I would love to get my hands on some of that grass-fed raw milk. Not much I can find in grocery stores though, so I figured next best thing is organic milk.

http://www.realmilk.com/where4.html#or Take that link and see if you can find raw milk somewhere by you.

[quote]BrownTrout wrote:
http://www.realmilk.com/where4.html#or Take that link and see if you can find raw milk somewhere by you. [/quote]

Thanks for the link. There is a lot of raw goat milk available. I’ll get some and see what it tastes like.

Goat milk is actually really good if its been extracted correctly. The milk itself is hypersensitive to smells and tastes from the environment the goat was milked in, so depending on where you get it the taste can be almost identical to cows milk or comparable to licking a billy goats ass. Don’t get turned off to it if your first experience is the later.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:

resent research has actually touted a mix of slow/fast proteins for after training, hence, the milk (which is 80% casein)

so yes, the digestion rate will be slowed, but no, that is not a bod thing necessarily.[/quote]

Please link me the research.

I can’t see any reason why you need slow acting proteins PWO. Please explain.

I would rather double Surge than add milk.

And it tastes fine with water, what’s wronge with you people!?

[quote]redgladiator wrote:
Please link me the research.

I can’t see any reason why you need slow acting proteins PWO. Please explain.

I would rather double Surge than add milk.

And it tastes fine with water, what’s wronge with you people!?[/quote]

here’s a review of milk as a post workout drink:

and here’s a free issue of Alan Aragon’s Research Review that talks about post workout milk ingestion as well (search for “milk”, as the issue covers a variety of topics)