Mixing ME With Iso/oi

How would I go about mixing some of the inno-sport concepts (iso, oi, some ecc) with more traditional powerlifting methods (i.e. ME/DE/RE)? i started reading kelly baggetts articles recently and i’m definitely intrigued by this stuff, but don’t want to throw it in haphazardly. my current training is:

day 1
ME Bench
pullups/chins 8x1 (pretty weak on these)
db triceps ext. and shrugs/db pc, 1 exercise each supersetted EDT style

day 2
ME squat
GM 3x6
db bent row 3x8
negative GHR (weak)

day 3
RE bench, usually dbs 3-4x8-12
supported row 3x6
dips 3x8
curl 2x12

day 4
hang clean/snatch, or high pulls 6x2
unilateral leg exercise 3x8
hyperextensions 2x15
lat pulldown 2x15

my idea was to keep the max effort days pretty much the same and change up the DE/RE days

each day is separated by 48 hours. i’m going to be playing rugby for the first time next fall and want to be good. any conditioning ideas btw? i’m 6’3" 245 16% and have no idea what position i’m going to play. thanks for the help,
dan

First, I’d like to point you to inno-sport.net

This is the Inno-Sport home site. I suggest you purchase The Sports Book and then read it and all of the articles on the site. IMO, adopting the Inno-Sport system is the best thing an athlete can do for themselves, but it can’t be entered into haphazardly. Once you’ve at least read all the articles on the site, continue with your questioning.

Further understanding of the methods you list will help answer your questions. In truth, this is one of those “teach a man to fish” moments.

If you have read the articles, post again, and I’ll help you out.

A few suggestions…

ISO work can be done anywhere on the spectrum from ME to SE to RE. I don’t usually use it as “ME” (Inno-Sport would say DUR An-1) too much, probably because my ego likes the satisfaction of a completed full-range lift. However, I have used it at times. Generally speaking, a 6-second hold at the CJC (aka… point of least leverage, aka… bottom of a squat or bench, mid-point of a chin, etc.) is going to be somewhere around a 1RM. Longer ISO’s (SE or RE aka DUR An-2/3) are great… as long as you are really staying on yourself to conciously get the right muscles firing- if you do this, you will sometimes see a drastic improvement in a lift in just a couple sessions. ISO work is really great in my opinion and really is pretty easy to implement into any training system, and as long as you AREG the volume in some way, you aren’t going to over-extend yourself- which is a common criticism of isometrics.

OI work is a little different. I think it is a good method, although the only problem with it is that it takes some practice to get down. OI is supposed to be the bridge between speed and strength work, ie. you could do OI during a strength/hypertrophy block to help maintain reactivity or during a speed/power block to help maintain muscle mass and strength. It also really isn’t a very intensive method, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. It takes practice to get down (do it as a warmuup or cooldown for 3 or 4 sessions until you get good at “snapping” the weight up instead of “lifting” it), but it really is a useful method; I feel it is very beneficial for movements like GHR, chin, biceps, and Bulgarian Squat.

i haven’t read every single article on the site yet, i’m in the process of it. i get the basics but i’m still unclear on some things.

1. when to add weight/reps to a lift while using the dropoffs and AREG. i understand the concept of working until the dropoff and you then terminate the exercise. but after you reach that 6% (or whatever) fatigue, do you increase the weight 6% next session? and does the amount of sets you performed have anything to do with upping the weight?

2. how would i utilize the dropoffs with iso work?

3. just like trinsey, i really enjoy lifting heavy shit which is why i like westside’s version of ME. my plan is to use ME PIM during the hypertrophy and strength blocks, and switch to iso holds at CJG for the power phase. would this work for MAG an-1?.

[quote]Dank Funeral wrote:
i haven’t read every single article on the site yet, i’m in the process of it. i get the basics but i’m still unclear on some things.

1. when to add weight/reps to a lift while using the dropoffs and AREG. i understand the concept of working until the dropoff and you then terminate the exercise. but after you reach that 6% (or whatever) fatigue, do you increase the weight 6% next session? and does the amount of sets you performed have anything to do with upping the weight?[/quote]

You add the weight just like you would when trying to progress to a new max in any other system. 6% drop-off defintily does not reciprocate to a 6% increase in my experience.

[quote]
2. how would i utilize the dropoffs with iso work?[/quote]

Same way you do with a regular lift. So say you work up to ISO squat with 405 pounds as your training max for that day. Drop the weight to about 365 or so and do ISO squats until you can’t hold the position for the same amount of time as your initial.

[quote]
3. just like trinsey, i really enjoy lifting heavy shit which is why i like westside’s version of ME. my plan is to use ME PIM during the hypertrophy and strength blocks, and switch to iso holds at CJG for the power phase. would this work for MAG an-1?.[/quote]

ISO holds aren’t MAG work. MAG is stuff like plyos and oly lifts. I think ISO’s pair well with MAG, for instance if you did REA squats on Monday and ISO squats on Thursday. But ISO is definitly a duration method.