T Nation

Mixing L-Leucine?

I just got a shipment from Biotest today and I'm trying out L-leucine for the first time and it does not mix well with water. Any ideas for what you guys mix it with?

Pour scoop of L-Leucine on tongue and drink a glass of water.

Did you mix it in just water or with protein powder as well? I have had much better luck mixing it with Surge after my workouts.

I throw a scoop in my mouth and wash it down with a Spike Shotgun or water. I prefer the Shotgun as the carbonation and flavoring make it smoother.

D

agreed with the scoop in mouth option as the easiest alternative but. if really needed to mix it, put it in a shaker, shake it and let it sit for 5 mins shake again, repeat as necessary. it dissolves very slowly in water, Bill Roberts touched on ways of speeding up the processes in another thread.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Pour scoop of L-Leucine on tongue and drink a glass of water. [/quote]

agreed

Bill Roberts said to heat the water up and it will dissolve easier. So plan ahead if you want to drink cool water.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

I do this with all my powders.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:

Yup.

On my off days, I do the same with creatine. That stuff dissolves instantly.

wow, you serious about putting it on your tongue and washing it down? do you do this in between meals? before or after?

I shake it in 8 ounces of hot water. This being simply hot water out of the tap: no need to involve the stove or microwave, assuming the tap water is drinkable.

Sometimes after that I add some Metabolic Drive, depending on the instance, and if so shake again. Actually I suppose both could be added at the same time but I don’t happen to do it that way.

[quote]dratner wrote:
wow, you serious about putting it on your tongue and washing it down? do you do this in between meals? before or after?[/quote]

That’s how I do it…that’s how I take creatine BCAAs, Leucine…pretty much works with anything that isn’t too hydrophobic or won’t coat your mouth very well.

Do NOT do it with green tea extract…that…that was a bad, bad experience…

hmmm. interesting. when do you take your leucine?

[quote]dratner wrote:
hmmm. interesting. when do you take your leucine?[/quote]

Usually right before I eat.

Gad dam, I just throw a scoop in with my Surge and use a hand electric blender. Couldn’t be easier.

I only use it with my Surge but if I was using it more often I would just mix it in with a protein drink.

I don’t know why you guys don’t want to blend it and make it such an ordeal otherwise.

I also do the scoop and then wash it down with a glass of water. it is the easiest.

I believe NewDamage intended to say, to do it with anything that is hydrophobic. Being that if it is too hydrophobic it would easily be drank in a glass of water, being that it will readily dissolve.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
dratner wrote:
wow, you serious about putting it on your tongue and washing it down? do you do this in between meals? before or after?

That’s how I do it…that’s how I take creatine BCAAs, Leucine…pretty much works with anything that isn’t too hydrophobic or won’t coat your mouth very well.

[quote]bwbski wrote:
I also do the scoop and then wash it down with a glass of water. it is the easiest.

I believe NewDamage intended to say, to do it with anything that is hydrophobic. Being that if it is too hydrophobic it would easily be drank in a glass of water, being that it will readily dissolve.

[/quote]

Actually…No. That is exactly the OPPOSITE of hydrophobic. HydroPHOBIC is “water fearing” such as lipids and certain amino acids. In other words, NOT soluble in polar solvents (such as water), but soluble in NON-polar solvents.

HydroPHILIC, on the other hand, is “water loving” or soluble in polar solvents such as water.

lol this is rather funny - I’m not trying to be a dick, but seriously people, before you post…make sure you have your facts straight. Its one thing to make a slight mistake, but to correct another poster and to be 100% WRONG (and I’ve read your post about 1000 times to make sure I’m not going crazy) is just…ridiculous.

If I don’t know how to swim, does that make me hydrophobic?

[quote]dumbbellhead wrote:
If I don’t know how to swim, does that make me hydrophobic?[/quote]

Well that depends, do you not know how to swim because you are afraid of the water?

I read that ‘hydrophobic’ comment, too, and thought: “Fucking rookie.”

:slight_smile: