T Nation

Mixing Frequency, Take Advantage of the CNS?

I have been using HFT for faster gains and I am wondering if it is possible to use splits where one is HFT and the other HIT and still maintain an elevated CNS to speed recovery on HIT workouts.

Can this be done?

No answers yet…

I know I’m a beginner but I’ve read every article on here and I like Thib’s stuff so that’s where I began.

I’ll explain more: Ok, like if I was doing 6 weeks of HFT on chest, back, and legs while doing HIT on shoulders, traps, and lats. (I am still sticking with compound movements like I’m supposed to)

Will the HFT keep my CNS stimulated and thus continuing to help me recover faster including with the HIT… or will the HIT inevitably run down my CNS?

You are trying to do way too much and think about things way too intensely.

Stop. Do something simple and basic.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

Stop. Do something simple and basic.[/quote]

Um, no! I’ve made huge gains! 27 pounds since June 1st. Sorry bud, I’m not stopping!

It’s an answer I’m looking for.

[quote]ImmortalAttitude wrote:
mr popular wrote:

Um, no! I’ve made huge gains! 27 pounds since June 1st. Sorry bud, I’m not stopping!

It’s an answer I’m looking for.[/quote]

Well, if what your doing is working, why change it?

[quote]mr popular wrote:

Stop. Do something simple and basic.[/quote]

Fuck it, I’m not trying to rub this in but I just happened to be gifted. I spent my “school” time in labs getting EEG’s, and MRI’s till I was 18 and told them to fuck off. I… learn… fast. I also have, literally, twice the intelligence of the average person.

I am thinking about things with “finesse”.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
ImmortalAttitude wrote:
mr popular wrote:

It’s an answer I’m looking for.

Well, if what your doing is working, why change it?[/quote]

Well, like tuning a car, anything to make it go faster. I’m sticking with what I am doing until I know because there are two possible outcomes. I can speed up, or I can slow down. But I know I’ll inevitably come to a plateau and that is where I can throw in my idea for a test drive if I don’t find an answer.

Have you considered using your CRQ so that you can CBF the XPY? It’s similar to using a combination of RWP and MDC…just something to think about.

Advanced training principles and programs aren’t going to be of much use to you until your bodyweight is as high as your IQ apparently is.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Advanced training principles and programs aren’t going to be of much use to you until your bodyweight is as high as your IQ apparently is.[/quote]

Evidently, not.

I asked a question. If you don’t have the answer, thoughts and view are accepted but flames and put downs only display your inner vacancy.

I asked a question. If you don’t have the answer, thoughts and view are accepted but flames and put downs only display your inner vacancy.[/quote]

Or you’re just being a dick, and no one is going to help you.

If you’d really like to know if your idea will work, try it. It might be THE holy grail of training FOR YOU. No one on here will be able to tell you that it will or won’t be.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
ImmortalAttitude wrote:
I asked a question. If you don’t have the answer, thoughts and view are accepted but flames and put downs only display your inner vacancy.

If you’d really like to know if your idea will work, try it. It might be THE holy grail of training FOR YOU. No one on here will be able to tell you that it will or won’t be. [/quote]

i read your profile… your such a cool dude.

For one, I know that exercise stimulates the CNS. Two, I know that lifting at maximum intensity with long recovery periods on a consistent basis, overwhelms the CNS and runs it down. It’s high demand with less stimulus.

I know that you must lower your intensity to workout more frequently and when you workout more frequently there is less time between each stimulus and therefore less time to “fall” before another stimulus “lifts” you again. Simply put; More stimulus equals faster CNS.

Now HIT is more demanding with less stimulus. HFT is less demanding with more stimulus. It’s much like changing the timing on an engine.

What I want to see in a reply is whether or not HFT on half my body can bump up the productivity of HIT on the other half of my body. THAT is what I am asking.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
ImmortalAttitude wrote:

If you’d really like to know if your idea will work, try it. It might be THE holy grail of training FOR YOU. No one on here will be able to tell you that it will or won’t be. [/quote]

I am only one guy out of billions. I figured it has already been done before. I may be wrong.

And FOR ME… Sorry, I was assuming everybody had a CNS.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
Have you considered using your CRQ so that you can CBF the XPY? It’s similar to using a combination of RWP and MDC…just something to think about.[/quote]

Sorry about that…

HIT, high intensity training. HFT, high frequency training. CNS, central nervous system.

mr popular wrote:

Fuck it, I’m not trying to rub this in but I just happened to be gifted. I spent my “school” time in labs getting EEG’s, and MRI’s till I was 18 and told them to fuck off. I… learn… fast. I also have, literally, twice the intelligence of the average person.

I am thinking about things with “finesse”.[/quote]

Just because you are “gifted” in your intelligence or whatever they tested you for, it doesn’t mean you are also gifted physically or with training.

Just because you gained 27 pounds in your first month or two of training, it doesn’t mean you are gifted or the holy grail to lifting. At 5’9" and 130-something pounds to start, you were obviously underweight to begin with.

So gaining 27 pounds was most likely something your body needed to do once you started to actually eat enough to grow and begin training.

You are still a beginner, and you should definitely focus on some basic training to get bigger and stronger rather than overanalyzing every detail of training and asking questions that don’t really matter at this point.

What really matters is that you keep hitting the weights, keep learning how your body responds, eat properly and continue getting bigger, stronger, healthier, etc.

Please post before and after pictures of yourself if you want an honest critique and useful advice that may help you with your training.

I have been using HFT for faster gains and I am wondering if it is possible to use splits where one is HFT and the other HIT and still maintain an elevated CNS to speed recovery on HIT workouts.

Can this be done? [/quote]

your question makes no sense. how can you possibly combine the both in a single training cycle? HFT requires you to train a body part 4-6 times a week. HIT uses a typical body part split, hitting the muscle every 5-7 days.

just pick one and go at it with all you got. you cant combine them.

if i misread your post, well sorry, but thats what you made it sound like.

other than that, i wouldnt be ripping on people if you want help. as you asked in your post, “is it possible…to use a split where you can combine HFT and HIT while maintaining a fresh CNS”

let me tell you something: high frequency and high intensity dont tango. if you’re gonna work a muscle group 4+ times a week while going to failure and beyond, you’re asking for CNS burnout and destruction. if you plan on working a muscle often, failure training is out of the option.

For one, I know that exercise stimulates the CNS. Two, I know that lifting at maximum intensity with long recovery periods on a consistent basis, overwhelms the CNS and runs it down. It’s high demand with less stimulus.

I know that you must lower your intensity to workout more frequently and when you workout more frequently there is less time between each stimulus and therefore less time to “fall” before another stimulus “lifts” you again. Simply put; More stimulus equals faster CNS.

Now HIT is more demanding with less stimulus. HFT is less demanding with more stimulus. It’s much like changing the timing on an engine.

What I want to see in a reply is whether or not HFT on half my body can bump up the productivity of HIT on the other half of my body. THAT is what I am asking.[/quote]

remember, exercise has a systemic effect on the body. you might do HFT with your lower body, and HIT with your upper body, but you’d burn out within a few weeks.

to be honest, i think it wouldnt work, and believe that you asked this question to get reinforcement to try out your method. basically, if you have a gut feeling about this and think maybe, just maybe it might work…then give it a try. thats how all the greats did it.

[quote]forbes wrote:
ImmortalAttitude wrote:

What I want to see in a reply is whether or not HFT on half my body can bump up the productivity of HIT on the other half of my body. THAT is what I am asking.

remember, exercise has a systemic effect on the body. you might do HFT with your lower body, and HIT with your upper body, but you’d burn out within a few weeks.

to be honest, i think it wouldnt work, and believe that you asked this question to get reinforcement to try out your method. basically, if you have a gut feeling about this and think maybe, just maybe it might work…then give it a try. thats how all the greats did it.[/quote]

You have a good point. I think I agree with that.

I thought of another idea though; Solid HFT for six weeks and then, for one week, drop the intensity even further, reasonably enough to bump the frequency up to everyday (solely to supercharge my CNS).

Then… PLUNGE into an ordinary HIT for 4 weeks while running off of the CNS momentum from the HFT and super-HFT. I think that will be my plan after I’ve completed my current 6 weeks.