T Nation

Mixing Crossfit and Bodybuilding?

Ok- first off, I’m not here to promote or start arguements on CF or BB style workouts.
I have been training for about 12 years now. I have always done periodizaion training with the belief that this is the best way to put on muscle. I still beleive that. (always mxing up reps, sets, speed of reps and excercises of course).

Also, I always had good results banging out 20-30 minutes of cardio after the workouts. A typical gym session is about 60-80 minutes.
I tried CF about a year ago and although I love it I feel like I am losing muscle. I am going back to my old gym this week but I want to stick with CF as well.

Is there anyway i can do both? the hesitation I have is after a heavy chest day in the gym or any bodypart for that matter, doing a CF type workout that may consist of 100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 sit up and 100 squats. I’m not to concerned about the cost of doing both so I dont need any replies on that aspect of it.
Although a few guys at my CF gym are very fit, they wont be turning heads on the beach.I just need some non biased advice.
please excuse typos.
Thanks

I own a crossfit gym, I do a modified program based on Joe DeFranco’s WS4SB plus a few other changes. It works well, I’m very lean and a good size, I would put on a good amount of additional size if I didn’t have weight classes I have to make. A lot of leaness depends on your diet, so you need to get that dialed in as well if you want to get the most out of it. I believe that CF stuff like ‘angie’ you described is great for fatloss along with fitness.

In short, yes it can be combined, you just have to be careful of overtraining and injuries caused by over use. If you’ve ever seen John McCallum’s Keys To Progress he describes something called PHA training (Peripheral heart action) for fat loss, which combines circuits not unlike many crossfit wods. Same thing with complexes that many trainers use. What I do is take a list of these workouts and mix them in 2-4 times a week combined with heavy lifting. So, yeah, combined with diet, the cf wods and your heavy lifts you should do very well if you program it right and are careful of overtraining. If you have any questions on how I do things, feel free to ask.

Thanks 1000RB. My diet is fine. 80% of my meals are Paleo with protein supplements.
I’ll look into JD’s program. Although I’m fitter, my chest, arms and shoulder’s are smaller. Legs and back are about the same.
Again, CF is great but there is still a very vein part of me and I enjoy the jacked looked.

If you enjoy the jacked look I would use CF sparingly. It’s about priorities, like you said when you’ve worked your back it wants to rest and grow stronger ready for next time. What it doesn’t want is CF. Having never tried CF your probably in a better position to comment than me, but to my knowledge CF offers a lot of benefits but the “jacked look” isn’t one.

Depends on how you train, dude.

please let crossfit die…

[quote]1000rippedbuff wrote:
It works well, I’m very lean and a good size, I would put on a good amount of additional size if I didn’t have weight classes I have to make. [/quote]

pics or stfu. i only say that because i believe crossfit practitioners have a different aesthetic than bodybuilders. your “good size” claim is only valid if it comports with OP’s definition of “good size.”

[quote]snoopabu3 wrote:
1000rippedbuff wrote:
It works well, I’m very lean and a good size, I would put on a good amount of additional size if I didn’t have weight classes I have to make.

pics or stfu. i only say that because i believe crossfit practitioners have a different aesthetic than bodybuilders. your “good size” claim is only valid if it comports with OP’s definition of “good size.”

[/quote]

I’m 5’9" weight varies between 177 and 180, but I’m working on putting a few more pounds of muscle on. I’ve been measured at less than 9% bodyfat several times, which is a percentage I hold all the time. Most people think I look quite big and ripped and I definitely stand out on the beach, I’ve seen bigger guys, but I’ve never seen someone leaner with my muscularity in those kinds of every day situations. At my biggest I was 215, that was when I strictly did bodybuilding and power lifting, but I definitely get complements now, where as back then I never really did. I’m in way better shape, too. I don’t know what this guys definition of a ‘good size’ is, but I’ve never had anyone say I was too small, most people think I’m jacked and much heavier than I am. I have no doubt he can do what he wants to do with the right diet and putting the program together right.

yeah. there’s a big difference between 215 and 180. that means that most of what was preventing you from getting compliments was the excess fat i’m assuming you were holding. all i’m saying is that, in my experience with crossfitters, they more often than not, confuse skinny-lean with jacked.

I have some people who are like that, but I’m definitely not one of them. When I was 215 I wasn’t ‘fat’ as much as just not exceptionally lean. My stomach was flat, but I definitely lacked definition. My build is something like George St. Pierre, allowing for individual builds. Not pro bodybuilder big by any means, but people tend to be pretty impressed. I’m not like what people consider the stereotypical crossfit person, my hybrid programming contains a lot of heavy weights, I have a 400lb back squat, I can bench press in the upper 200’s, reps on pullups with 100+lbs, and I still can do pretty elite level times in many of the benchmark cf workouts

. I’ve got a 31 round ‘Cindy’ (max rounds in 20 minutes of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats). and a sub 20 minute Linda (10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 of 1.5 bw deadlift, bw bench press, 75% bw clean).

I have some people who are like that, but I’m definitely not one of them. When I was 215 I wasn’t ‘fat’ as much as just not exceptionally lean. My stomach was flat, but I definitely lacked definition. My build is something like George St. Pierre, allowing for individual builds. Not pro bodybuilder big by any means, but people tend to be pretty impressed. I’m not like what people consider the stereotypical crossfit person, my hybrid programming contains a lot of heavy weights, I have a 400lb back squat, I can bench press in the upper 200’s, reps on pullups with 100+lbs, and I still can do pretty elite level times in many of the benchmark cf workouts

. I’ve got a 31 round ‘Cindy’ (max rounds in 20 minutes of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats). and a sub 20 minute Linda (10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 of 1.5 bw deadlift, bw bench press, 75% bw clean). [/quote]

You sound awesome. Personally, I look more like Brock Lesnar… only more muscular and more defined. Also, I’m not quite as fast as Usain Bolt, but I’m pretty close. Not quite as strong as big Ronnie Coleman, but allowing for body type and genetic differences we’re pretty much the same…

Pics or didn’t happen.

people tend to be pretty impressed. I’m not like what people consider the stereotypical crossfit person,[/quote]

People today tend to be “pretty impressed” with Tobey Mcgwire in Spiderman. Unless these people are hardcore weight lifters, using the opinion of sedentary people as a gauge of progress is the complete opposite of what this forum is about.

I am only writing that because talk is cheap here and everyone is huge and super strong before the pictures get posted.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
1000rippedbuff wrote:
people tend to be pretty impressed. I’m not like what people consider the stereotypical crossfit person,

People today tend to be “pretty impressed” with Tobey Mcgwire in Spiderman. Unless these people are hardcore weight lifters, using the opinion of sedentary people as a gauge of progress is the complete opposite of what this forum is about.

I am only writing that because talk is cheap here and everyone is huge and super strong before the pictures get posted.[/quote]

There wasn’t enough condescension in that post to scream authenticity. Are you between patients or something?

Don’t tell me Whattaburger shut down and you are in a state of mourning. I’ll ship you some In N Out.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Professor X wrote:
1000rippedbuff wrote:
people tend to be pretty impressed. I’m not like what people consider the stereotypical crossfit person,

I am only writing that because talk is cheap here and everyone is huge and super strong before the pictures get posted.

There wasn’t enough condescension in that post to scream authenticity. Are you between patients or something?

Don’t tell me Whattaburger shut down and you are in a state of mourning. I’ll ship you some In N Out.[/quote]

My bad. What with every newbie throwing a hissy fit if you so much as imply that they are beginners…and then crying that they can’t take the criticism, I was under the impression that all masculinity had left the building and I was surrounded by women.

So…let me know whether I’m still on T-Nation or Bitch-Nation. I get so confused lately.

*On that same note, I am pretty much convinced that many of these people don’t even lift weights. They just like logging in and asking where I,Bodybuilder is while insulting everyone in the 19" arm thread for not being in contest shape.

I stopped lifting weights when I realized I could just say I did and nobody here would know the difference

[quote]Professor X wrote:
1000rippedbuff wrote:

I am only writing that because talk is cheap here and everyone is huge and super strong before the pictures get posted.[/quote]

Understandable. I’m not big on pasting pictures of me across the internet, but let me see if I can get a couple -face shot. I just think that with the right diet and programming you can be pretty jacked and still have great conditioning and be very strong.

Professor X wrote:
1000rippedbuff wrote:

Understandable. I’m not big on pasting pictures of me across the internet, but let me see if I can get a couple -face shot. I just think that with the right diet and programming you can be pretty jacked and still have great conditioning and be very strong.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure what you consider to be “jacked” is quite different than prof x.

I’m pretty sure what you consider to be “jacked” is quite different than prof x.

x2 /thread

so, couldn’t find those face shot pictures in 2 days eh?

Saying you do Crossfit is saying you do deadlifts for time.

Which is like saying you ingest all your food anally.

Stop doing “Crossfit” and throw in a day or two of GPP.