Mixing Creatine

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn’t find any answers doing a quick search.

I just started taking Creatine and according to the instructions on the container I am to mix it with 16oz of cold water and another insolugenic substance.

So, I’ve been filling up a glass with cold water, Creatine and Whey Protein and it is absolutely awful. I’ve also tried adding the Creatine to a RTD protein shake (muscle milk, etc.) which is much better, but I don’t want to be blowing that kind of money for an RTD every day.

Does anyone have any good “recipes” for mixing Creatine?

Thanks for the help.

[quote]tdrink wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn’t find any answers doing a quick search.

I just started taking Creatine and according to the instructions on the container I am to mix it with 16oz of cold water and another insolugenic substance.

So, I’ve been filling up a glass with cold water, Creatine and Whey Protein and it is absolutely awful. I’ve also tried adding the Creatine to a RTD protein shake (muscle milk, etc.) which is much better, but I don’t want to be blowing that kind of money for an RTD every day.

Does anyone have any good “recipes” for mixing Creatine?

Thanks for the help. [/quote]

I use the creatine from this website and you can barely taste it. On workout days I add it to my Surge and on non-workout days I add it to grape juice. It is much better than the creatine I use to use.

I’m actually using the Creatine from this site as well. It’s not the taste of the Creatine, it’s the mixture of the water and protein powder that tastes crappy.

Maybe mixing it with something sweeter (like you are doing with the grape juice) would work better. I guess I am just following the directions on the container very literally.

[quote]tdrink wrote:
I’m actually using the Creatine from this site as well. It’s not the taste of the Creatine, it’s the mixture of the water and protein powder that tastes crappy.

Maybe mixing it with something sweeter (like you are doing with the grape juice) would work better. I guess I am just following the directions on the container very literally.
[/quote]

Yeah, mix it in something sweet and for best effect mix it with Surge. Also, just wanted to add sometimes you gotta suck it up. When I started lifting and eating/supplemening for gains if, I thought it was going to make my muscles grow, I downed it even if it did taste like warmed over crap.

I’m not saying don’t look for taste, but don’t expect everything to taste like strawberry shortcake. A creatine shot is only once a day so just like your buckled up to the bar ready to down a tequila shooter down that creatine.

D

shrug I can’t stand it alone with water, either.

I mix it in with my post workout protein shake. Problem solved.

I use the Biotest Creatine also and its hard to taste. I mix with Surge on workout days, and pineapple juice with muscle milk vanilla for a tasty snack on non workout days before bed.

If it taste like $h!t find another brand, or find a way to make it taste better.

If you use Greens+ I find blue berries mask the taste better than any other fruit.

im lucky…i dont even notice the taste of creatine…although i thought it was odorless and flavorless for everyone? I just mix it in with my post workout shake.

I add it to my post-workout drink on workout days, and a glass of milk (sometimes with some powedered chocolate added to up the carb count) on non-workout days.

I can detect the creatine as a slight fine grit texture to whatever I’m drinking, but other than that it’s perfectly palatable.

Again, it’s not the taste of the Creatine that was the problem. It was my mixture of Creatine, Whey Protein Powder and Water that tasted kind of crappy (I think it’s the protein powder/water combo that’s a bit nasty).

I have no problem “sucking it up” if that’s what it takes, but it sounds like you guys are coming up with more creative solutions than what is given on the Creatine container. I just wasn’t sure if I needed to strictly use “water” as my liquid. But it sounds like you guys are having luck with protein shakes, juice and milk.

Now, in an effort to hijack my own thread with another difficult question: How long before you saw any results from supplamenting with Creatine and how significant were those results?

[quote]tdrink wrote:
Again, it’s not the taste of the Creatine that was the problem. It was my mixture of Creatine, Whey Protein Powder and Water that tasted kind of crappy (I think it’s the protein powder/water combo that’s a bit nasty).

I have no problem “sucking it up” if that’s what it takes, but it sounds like you guys are coming up with more creative solutions than what is given on the Creatine container. I just wasn’t sure if I needed to strictly use “water” as my liquid. But it sounds like you guys are having luck with protein shakes, juice and milk.

Now, in an effort to hijack my own thread with another difficult question: How long before you saw any results from supplamenting with Creatine and how significant were those results?[/quote]

This will vary widely. Some may notice a marked weight increase from some water retention. Some will notice fuller looking muscles. Some will notice an increase in ATP energy and will be able to hit one or two more reps then is usual. The best responders will notice all of these. Creatine in many studies not just relevant to muscle heads shows to improve brain function and general health as well.

D

I started Creatine a week ago yesterday. My weight had been 175-178 for a few weeks. This morning I weighed in at 180. This was my first 180 since last year when I was working on losing my gut fat by not eating much and riding my bike a lot.

I’m not sure if this is from creatine, fish oil (which I also started taking a week ago) or just just part of the gradual change one will see over the first six months of working out.

Gatorade. Has the sugar and sodium needed for transport.

[quote]tdrink wrote:

Now, in an effort to hijack my own thread with another difficult question: How long before you saw any results from supplamenting with Creatine and how significant were those results?[/quote]

I gained 6 lbs the first week using creatine. I have been using it about 6 weeks and my arms look bigger. It is hard to tell if my strength has increased because I had surgery a few months ago and am still working on getting my strength back.

Are you using the protein powder from this website? It taste pretty good. I use to buy my protein from www.trueprotein.com and it was awful.

Good luck!

No, I was actually using some 100% Whey Protein Powder from a health food store. I believe it is made by the supplement company “Solgar”. Not sure of the quality of their products. The taste is fine mixed with milk or yogurt, but is a bit nasty in water.

Mixed the Creatine with just cold water last night as I was about to have a meal. Not bad. No real “flavor” to speak of, though actually getting it to mix with cold water is tricky.

The Gatorade tip sounds good, especially post work-out (which seems to be when I am taking the Creatine). A milk/protein powder/Creatine shake might work as well. I have yet to get Surge! but it sounds like it’s the choice of most people here for post workout.

A six pound gain in a week seems like a helluva lot. Personally I’m not as concerned with gaining weight as I am looking to improve muscle density/hardness. I’ll let you know how it goes, though this is a much more subjective pursuit than scale weight.